Question Z690 solid yellow light and showing code 55 after case swap ?

Jul 26, 2023
I recently swapped my case to the asus hyperion after getting a 4080. I was trying to use a riser cable with the build, but was getting a would white light, so took out the cable and mounted the GPU onto the motherboard, and then got a yellow light with code 55. Tried to switch around the RAM, but nothing, and really don't want to remove the CPU because I see ASUS might void the warranty if it is damaged in the process. I can't find anything with the 2 combined, only one or the other.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
When you swapped cases, did you remove the CPU and RAM from the motherboard? If not, the problem is unlikely to be bent pins in the CPU socket or faulty RAM/DIMM sockets.

Remove the motherboard from the new case and check underneath to see if there are any metal mounting pillars in the wrong place, that would have short circuited the board.

Did you have all the relevant power cables connected to the 4080 when it was mounted in the riser?

It's possible the GPU BIOS objected to the extra bus capacitance and impedance of the riser card.

Was the 4080 working in the mobo when it was installed in the old case, or is this a new GPU.

Have you tried the 4080 in another rig?

Have you looked up Code 55 and the yellow/white light states in your user guide?

Jul 26, 2023
When you swapped cases, did you remove the CPU and RAM from the motherboard? If not, the problem is unlikely to be bent pins in the CPU socket or faulty RAM/DIMM sockets.

Remove the motherboard from the new case and check underneath to see if there are any metal mounting pillars in the wrong place, that would have short circuited the board.

Did you have all the relevant power cables connected to the 4080 when it was mounted in the riser?

It's possible the GPU BIOS objected to the extra bus capacitance and impedance of the riser card.

Was the 4080 working in the mobo when it was installed in the old case, or is this a new GPU.

Have you tried the 4080 in another rig?

Have you looked up Code 55 and the yellow/white light states in your user guide?
I did not remove either one, the only problem I had with CPU was that when I removed the cooler a very small piece of the thermal paste dropped in between the clamp, but not under the CPU and was able to remove most of it with some tweezers.

It is the same card, and I was using the riser cable in my old case and had no problems, everything was working fine before as I was using it that morning.

Code 55 means there is no memory installed, tried the whole swapping RAM to other slots and only use one stick and nothing.

Now I have a question, I noticed when installing the MB, the top screws risers were off center from the bottom and middle ones and the screws are tilted, I left those just slightly loose to make sure not to damage it. Would this cause a problem?

Jul 26, 2023
Could be a problem with new GPU or case shorting. Reduce the number of unknowns: use previous GPU (or no GPU if your CPU allows it) first to determine where lies the problem.
Removed the GPU and tried to use the MB HDMI, but it was giving the same code.