Zalman ZM80C-HP on 9800Pro / Asus P4P800 mobo?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Since my Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer went quite loud after 4 months, now I
am looking for some really _quiet_ cooling VGA solution. So the Zalman's
ZM80C heat pipe comes as the first option.

Two issues here:

First, will the ZM80C mounted on Sapphire 9800Pro fit Asus P4P800
motherboard? According to Zalman's webpage, 5.5 mm spacing around AGP slot
is required - and looks like P4P800 meets this. But I'm concerned about DDR
slots, they are pretty close to the edge of the card where the heat pipe is
supposed to go. Has anybody tried this specific combination of cooling /
motherboard?

And second, how about efficiency of ZM80C compared to (not so low) power
dissipation of 9800Pro? Most reviews I found made tests on 9700Pro or even
lower-range cards, Zalman website recommends extra fan (ZM-OP1) for 9800Pro,
but on the other hand Sapphire solds 9800Pro Extreme Edition (with ZM80C)
without fan - so how is it actually?

If I buy that cooling I will probalbly go with the fan, but I would gladly
hear some comments based on your experiences: what is the noise level of the
ZM-OP1 on low and high settings, overclocking potential compared to stock
ATI cooling etc.

Will be grateful for any opinions from ZM80C / 9800Pro users!

BTW, my first 9800Pro went dead after 2 months with VGA Silencer running on
low. I didn't overclock and wanted just noiseless PC, so kept the fan on low
setting, but now I'm pretty sure that this might kill my card. Fortunatelly
I got the replcement, but from then on I keep the fan on high speed (so my
problem with the noise...). Looks like VGA Silencer running on low speed,
although indeed practically noiseless, is for mid- and lower-range cards,
but not for 9800Pro or higher ones. Interesting how X800 Pro will do on this
field...

Kevin

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Quoth The Raven "Ke-vin" <no@e-mail.please> in
ccgm2l$o1d$1@panorama.wcss.wroc.pl
> Since my Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer went quite loud after 4 months,
> now I am looking for some really _quiet_ cooling VGA solution. So the
> Zalman's ZM80C heat pipe comes as the first option.
>
> Two issues here:
>
> First, will the ZM80C mounted on Sapphire 9800Pro fit Asus P4P800
> motherboard? According to Zalman's webpage, 5.5 mm spacing around AGP
> slot is required - and looks like P4P800 meets this. But I'm
> concerned about DDR slots, they are pretty close to the edge of the
> card where the heat pipe is supposed to go. Has anybody tried this
> specific combination of cooling / motherboard?
>
> And second, how about efficiency of ZM80C compared to (not so low)
> power dissipation of 9800Pro? Most reviews I found made tests on
> 9700Pro or even lower-range cards, Zalman website recommends extra
> fan (ZM-OP1) for 9800Pro, but on the other hand Sapphire solds
> 9800Pro Extreme Edition (with ZM80C) without fan - so how is it
> actually?
>
> If I buy that cooling I will probalbly go with the fan, but I would
> gladly hear some comments based on your experiences: what is the
> noise level of the ZM-OP1 on low and high settings, overclocking
> potential compared to stock ATI cooling etc.
>
> Will be grateful for any opinions from ZM80C / 9800Pro users!
>
> BTW, my first 9800Pro went dead after 2 months with VGA Silencer
> running on low. I didn't overclock and wanted just noiseless PC, so
> kept the fan on low setting, but now I'm pretty sure that this might
> kill my card. Fortunatelly I got the replcement, but from then on I
> keep the fan on high speed (so my problem with the noise...). Looks
> like VGA Silencer running on low speed, although indeed practically
> noiseless, is for mid- and lower-range cards, but not for 9800Pro or
> higher ones. Interesting how X800 Pro will do on this field...
>
> Kevin

I have the 9800xt with the same zalman, that previously sat on my old 9700np
.. the heat pipe does get close to the ram slots, but the pipe its self is
higher up from the top of the ram sticks, if that is what you were looking
for it'll fit. I couldn't be happier with my zalman, I just had to add a
quiet small fan on the side of the HS, and leave my case open when playing
intensive games.

--
begin; writeln('This is just a tagline'); end;

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

Tim

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Hi,

Zalman seem to have good info on their web site - as always.

Try http://www.zalman.co.kr/.

There are several notes which address issues you mention.

- Tim

Ke-vin wrote:

> Since my Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer went quite loud after 4 months, now I
> am looking for some really _quiet_ cooling VGA solution. So the Zalman's
> ZM80C heat pipe comes as the first option.
>
> Two issues here:
>
> First, will the ZM80C mounted on Sapphire 9800Pro fit Asus P4P800
> motherboard? According to Zalman's webpage, 5.5 mm spacing around AGP slot
> is required - and looks like P4P800 meets this. But I'm concerned about DDR
> slots, they are pretty close to the edge of the card where the heat pipe is
> supposed to go. Has anybody tried this specific combination of cooling /
> motherboard?
>
> And second, how about efficiency of ZM80C compared to (not so low) power
> dissipation of 9800Pro? Most reviews I found made tests on 9700Pro or even
> lower-range cards, Zalman website recommends extra fan (ZM-OP1) for 9800Pro,
> but on the other hand Sapphire solds 9800Pro Extreme Edition (with ZM80C)
> without fan - so how is it actually?
>
> If I buy that cooling I will probalbly go with the fan, but I would gladly
> hear some comments based on your experiences: what is the noise level of the
> ZM-OP1 on low and high settings, overclocking potential compared to stock
> ATI cooling etc.
>
> Will be grateful for any opinions from ZM80C / 9800Pro users!
>
> BTW, my first 9800Pro went dead after 2 months with VGA Silencer running on
> low. I didn't overclock and wanted just noiseless PC, so kept the fan on low
> setting, but now I'm pretty sure that this might kill my card. Fortunatelly
> I got the replcement, but from then on I keep the fan on high speed (so my
> problem with the noise...). Looks like VGA Silencer running on low speed,
> although indeed practically noiseless, is for mid- and lower-range cards,
> but not for 9800Pro or higher ones. Interesting how X800 Pro will do on this
> field...
>
> Kevin

they just came out with a new model zm80d-hp dual heatpipes, comes with
ramsinks too.
wait a few weeks as it was just announced late june
Gordon

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Beyond3D.Com reviewed a few Sapphire "Ultimate Editions" with the heat pipe
coolers. You WILL need good case ventilation to use the cooler on the
9800Pro without a fan. (i.e. one 80 mm intake and one 80 mm exhaust fan on
the case)

The fact that the VGA Silencer got loud after 4 months is somewhat alarming.
So much for all the BS about ceramic bearings and such...

First of One wrote:

> Beyond3D.Com reviewed a few Sapphire "Ultimate Editions" with the heat pipe
> coolers. You WILL need good case ventilation to use the cooler on the
> 9800Pro without a fan. (i.e. one 80 mm intake and one 80 mm exhaust fan on
> the case)
>
> The fact that the VGA Silencer got loud after 4 months is somewhat alarming.
> So much for all the BS about ceramic bearings and such...

> "Ke-vin" <no@e-mail.please> wrote in message
> > Since my Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer went quite loud after 4 months, now I
> > am looking for some really _quiet_ cooling VGA solution. So the Zalman's
> > ZM80C heat pipe comes as the first option.
> >
> > Two issues here:
> >
> > First, will the ZM80C mounted on Sapphire 9800Pro fit Asus P4P800
> > motherboard? According to Zalman's webpage, 5.5 mm spacing around AGP slot
> > is required - and looks like P4P800 meets this. But I'm concerned about
> DDR
> > slots, they are pretty close to the edge of the card where the heat pipe
> is
> > supposed to go. Has anybody tried this specific combination of cooling /
> > motherboard?
> >
> > And second, how about efficiency of ZM80C compared to (not so low) power
> > dissipation of 9800Pro? Most reviews I found made tests on 9700Pro or even
> > lower-range cards, Zalman website recommends extra fan (ZM-OP1) for
> 9800Pro,
> > but on the other hand Sapphire solds 9800Pro Extreme Edition (with ZM80C)
> > without fan - so how is it actually?
> >
> > If I buy that cooling I will probalbly go with the fan, but I would gladly
> > hear some comments based on your experiences: what is the noise level of
> the
> > ZM-OP1 on low and high settings, overclocking potential compared to stock
> > ATI cooling etc.
> >
> > Will be grateful for any opinions from ZM80C / 9800Pro users!
> >
> > BTW, my first 9800Pro went dead after 2 months with VGA Silencer running
> on
> > low. I didn't overclock and wanted just noiseless PC, so kept the fan on
> low
> > setting, but now I'm pretty sure that this might kill my card.
> Fortunatelly
> > I got the replcement, but from then on I keep the fan on high speed (so my
> > problem with the noise...). Looks like VGA Silencer running on low speed,
> > although indeed practically noiseless, is for mid- and lower-range cards,
> > but not for 9800Pro or higher ones. Interesting how X800 Pro will do on
> this
> > field...
> >
> > Kevin

The zm80-D dual heartpipe is the latest zalman offering, the fan is
pretty quiet. I'd certainly use the fan as well, in fact its the
recommended warning by zalman.

I use it myself.