PredragKov

Honorable
Jul 30, 2017
Greetings everyone,

Resenlty I got a new PC, it is really good and i think i should upgrade the ram on it due to programs and multitasking I'm doing on it question is i got inside 8 GB that is 2666Mhz on Ryzen 5 pro 4650g and i do have dedicated GPU from my old PC. Should I invest in faster 3200 Mhz 16 GB kit or buy another 8GB 2666 Mhz and a extra SSD for my programs?
(Budget is bit tight this few months)

TLTR: I understand that Ryzen benefits from faster ram but is it worth buying new Ram sticks or is it 2666 ones ok to have and upgrade it sometime in the future?
Thank you for your help and time 😊

8gb is really not enough these days.
Upgrading to 16gb is a good idea, possibly even 32gb.
Your potential problem is ram compatibility in various forms.
Do you know the make/model of your motherboard?
CPU-Z will tell you.
Go to the motherboard web site and access their ram QVL list.
It will tell you what ram kits have been successfully tested.
Or, try crucial ram upgrade advisor to get a list of compatible upgrades for your pc.
Ryzen is picky about ram compatibility.
If you just guess, be prepared for a plan "B" in case things do not work out.

Ram must be from matched kits to work properly.
Do not plan on simply adding another stick, even of the same part number.
Plan on a 2 x 8gb replacement.

Ryen, and particularly integrated graphics perform better with fast ram.
If 3200 speed or better is supported, buy that.

I generally defer on storage upgrades until I need the space.
SSD costs are continually dropping.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Usually providing all PC specs helps getting a clearer picure of what user is dealing with.

If you really need the extra RAM for multitasking etc (I personally would 8GB is too little these days) increasing RAM is not a bad idea. Just don't get another 8GB and mix with one you alreadyhave, even with an identical 8GB with same specs. That's a recipe for possible future headaches, issues and BSODs and so on.

I'd sell the 8GB and get a 2x8GB that come as a kit/pack. Checking if the model you're trying to buy is on the motherboards QVL is better as it reduces chance of the RAM not working properly in your system.

If you already have an SSD (assuming for OS and more used applications) I'd postpone the extra SSD for later with better budget options.

TLTR: I understand that Ryzen benefits from faster ram but is it worth buying new Ram sticks or is it 2666 ones ok to have and upgrade it sometime in the future?
I actually wouldn't worry about the RAM speed. While the "sweet spot" for Zen 2 based CPUs is said to be DDR4-3200, I'm led to believe that just means it stops getting measurably better. You won't lose that much performance if you stick with DDR4-2666. See https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-zen-2-memory-performance-scaling-benchmark

People will also have their own reservations about running 4 vs 2 sticks, but I ran a 4 stick system for a combination of several years between a Zen 2 and Zen 3 without issue. Though make sure whatever kit you buy closely matches what you have already as much as possible.

USAFRet

Titan
Greetings everyone,

Resenlty I got a new PC, it is really good and i think i should upgrade the ram on it due to programs and multitasking I'm doing on it question is i got inside 8 GB that is 2666Mhz on Ryzen 5 pro 4650g and i do have dedicated GPU from my old PC. Should I invest in faster 3200 Mhz 16 GB kit or buy another 8GB 2666 Mhz and a extra SSD for my programs?
(Budget is bit tight this few months)

Thank you for your help and time 😊
Mixing RAM is a crapshoot.

Adding another 8GB to the existing 8GB May Not Work.

Sell or repurpose the current 8GB, but a 16GB set.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I like all the posts above that recommend more RAM as the better path. I note one other aspect that is not so clear. The SPEED rating of the RAM is less important than the quantity of RAM. So IF your buying choices come to 16 GB of RAM at different speeds for significantly different prices, then the lower-priced option is still worth it. But if prices are comparable get faster.