Question System build for elderly family member

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Hello all, I’m hoping to start some discussion about building a desktop system for an elderly family member who lives alone (80+ years old). They are reasonably capable - worked out how to send emoji messages on Android by themselves! - but really struggles with their existing Windows 10 laptop. I’m also their main IT support person, but live interstate.

Current problems:
- 15.6” screen on Dell Inspiron is a bit too small (had cataract surgery)
- incessant Windows pop-ups and alerts really confuse them mid-task
- they really struggle with double clicking.a mouse and end up moving icons around a lot… adding to future confusion

They need full-fat desktop OS for banking, PDF management (e.g. bills/invoices), typing e-mails, and Skype or WhatsApp video chats (therefore a webcam is needed), and sharing the occasional photo.

I usually provide phone tech support, and remote access via TeamViewer when needed.

We tried an iPad and it’s not capable enough (and screen too small for their vision). So I’m planning on setting up a proper desktop with 24-27” screen and full size keyboard/mouse.

Questions for the forum:
  1. What OS would you install? I haven’t been impressed with Win11’s recent interface shenanigans, especially random pop-ups and suggestions for new products. It’s enough to tip an elderly person over the edge cognitively. Been considering Mint Linux or Ubuntu, given their basic task requirements. MacOS an option too, but none of us have used Mac for >10 years.
  2. Best current remote support software? TeamViewer still works but it’s also guilty of random popups trying to get you to subscribe. Confuses the heck out of them whenever I ask them to read out access details.
  3. Backup systems for someone who has trouble plugging in USB devices?
  4. Set-and-forget security solutions (currently have unlock origin installed, but I noticed phishing and unsafe web popups still happen with Windows Defender)?
  5. Password management: I think BitWarden is a bit too complicated for them, and they’re currently using a paper notebook to store passwords. Eeek.
  6. Any personal experiences with your elderly family in terms of what worked and what didn’t?
Thank you very much! This kind of thing doesn’t seem to get talked about much in the tech discourse, where it’s mostly an able young person’s world.

Check these out. Sounds like right up your alley.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/sr/desktops/micro?appliedRefinements=41015

If you look on Amazon you can buy a mount for under 50 bucks and mount it on the wall behind the screen. We use one of these in the IT area at work connected to a 50 inch screen. Then if one of us isn’t in the office someone off site can log into that pc and plays virtual receptionist.

Edit. Link to the mount

https://www.amazon.com/HumanCentric...29&sprefix=dell+micro+pc+mount,aps,151&sr=8-3

We’ve used a few of these. One screw holds the pc to it so easy to get it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: NedSmelly

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
My current Win 11 Pro install does not do that.
Nor the Win 11 Home on my Surface Go laptop.
Yes, even when running the daily driver local account.

I'm pretty sure all of that can be turned OFF.
OK I think I figured out what was going on. The weekly Windows Updates weren’t being done routinely, but they would batch with major point updates when the nag pop up was noticed - which resulted in the blue “setting up Windows for you” boot-up page, the one that asks those questions about Microsoft Account, Edge, Copilot etc as if you’re setting up a new system.

USAFRet

Titan
OK I think I figured out what was going on. The weekly Windows Updates weren’t being done routinely, but they would batch with major point updates when the nag pop up was noticed - which resulted in the blue “setting up Windows for you” boot-up page, the one that asks those questions about Microsoft Account, Edge, Copilot etc as if you’re setting up a new system.
There ya go.
Yep, that happens.

Skip, skip, not now, skip....

Can’t skip too much in windows 11. When windows 10 was first coming out we had a dude keep pausing updates. One morning he came in and clocked in. The computer pretty much took over and started updating. It took 2-3 hours before he could get going again. That was also the days before ssds were as widespread as today.