[SOLVED] 0mbps Upload on Ethernet

slicerm1

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
My friend has been having the same issue with his New pc that his old pc had where he is only getting 0mbps upload on ethernet but download is fine. He just tried wifi and apparently is fine. No one else in his house is having ethernet issues after doing some speed tests on other pcs. He tried a new ethernet cord and plugging into multiple different ports on his router. We are thinking there could be electrical interference perhaps because when he played games on his old pc, there was a static sound sometimes and his wireless mouse would randomly stutter. Could this be a electrical issue with his room or do you guys think it could be something else? What other methods should he try before calling an electrician IF its an electrical problem? Thanks for any help.

Ralston18

Titan
What are the specs for that new Ethernet cable? Cable source?

Try a known working (at speed, both upload and download) Ethernet cable from another computer.

When Ethernet is connected (wired) ensure that the wireless network adapters are disabled.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command prompt. Post the results.

slicerm1

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
What are the specs for that new Ethernet cable? Cable source?

Try a known working (at speed, both upload and download) Ethernet cable from another computer.

When Ethernet is connected (wired) ensure that the wireless network adapters are disabled.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command prompt. Post the results.
I'm not 100% sure on the specs of the ethernet cord because he is at work at the moment. Once he gets back I'll ask and have him do what you suggested. Thanks for the quick reply!

I have seen this before on speedtest and not sure what causes it. I always suspect it was my ad blockers but it seems to happen sometimes and then not happen.

You obviously can't have zero upload rate because all download data is acknowledged. It is not a lot of data but there is always upload.

Not sure how to test this when speedtest has issues. There are some other speedtest sites that might work.

Does this actually cause you any issues. There are very few applications that need high upload.

slicerm1

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
I have seen this before on speedtest and not sure what causes it. I always suspect it was my ad blockers but it seems to happen sometimes and then not happen.

You obviously can't have zero upload rate because all download data is acknowledged. It is not a lot of data but there is always upload.

Not sure how to test this when speedtest has issues. There are some other speedtest sites that might work.

Does this actually cause you any issues. There are very few applications that need high upload.
My friend wasn't able to load webpages and games would have massive stutters. He just bought a new pc and is having the same issues without adding an add block onto it so I dont think its that. Not exactly sure what the problem is seeing that wifi works.

slicerm1

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
That cable is hard to say. 26awg is allowed for short patch cables. It likely is ok but paid way to much, cat8 buys you nothing at all and the cable is a lot stiffer and hard to use.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Cat6-Ethernet-Patch-Cable/dp/B004HJHNJG

Are there 2 machines in the house you can test with a simple file copy to the other machine should show you the upload rate. Watch the resource monitor network tab. Be careful some numbers are in BYTES/sec.
You can also try a old line mode program called IPERF. It should get 900+mpbs in both directions between machines in the house.

Reactions: Ralston18

slicerm1

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
That cable is hard to say. 26awg is allowed for short patch cables. It likely is ok but paid way to much, cat8 buys you nothing at all and the cable is a lot stiffer and hard to use.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Cat6-Ethernet-Patch-Cable/dp/B004HJHNJG

Are there 2 machines in the house you can test with a simple file copy to the other machine should show you the upload rate. Watch the resource monitor network tab. Be careful some numbers are in BYTES/sec.
You can also try a old line mode program called IPERF. It should get 900+mpbs in both directions between machines in the house.
I do believe he has 2 machines he could do this test on. Once he is home we will check what he can do (he had to go to work while I'm looking into some troubleshooting methods).

slicerm1

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Ok after a few hours of googling and troubleshooting we finally found a solution. Large Send Offload seems to be the problem setting with both of his pcs. This post we found summed it up very nicely so all credit to them. the IPV4 LSO and IPV6 LSO cant be enabled at the same time for some reason. We tried plugging his new pc into his brothers ethernet cable and were still getting the 0mbps upload so we knew it was the PC and not the cord. Thanks everyone for the help though!
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ethernet/0db43659-f4a9-4d7d-aa6b-5ab29f25cc6d