Question 1 long beep 3 short beep some time when i turn my pc on. a little help please?

Rahat_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
Okay, 2 months ago i brought a motherboard from newegg which was a new condition. and 5-6 days ago when i turn on pc, i faced an issues about beeping on motherboards speaker.

It indicates 1 long beep and 3 short beep. i checked on some internet says graphics card is not detecting, or its failing to display.

When i try to remove cmos battery for 5 minutes and put it back in, it works with only a single beep and booting display normally.

and then here comes the problem again, 1 long 3 short beeps then i try to remove cmos for 5 mins then it displays normally. Its been 5 days im having this issues.

I even trid to clear cmos jumper on motherboard, no help.

My configs

I7 4790
GA-B85M-DS3H-A
GTX 1060 6Gb
16GB or ram (Adata and billionair reservoir)
Antec hcg 520 psu

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan

Might want to elaborate on how the rams are populated on the slots on the motherboard. Try and work with one stick of ram. Inspect the CPU's socket for any bent or broken pins.

Rahat_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015

Might want to elaborate on how the rams are populated on the slots on the motherboard. Try and work with one stick of ram. Inspect the CPU's socket for any bent or broken pins.
I even checked 1 stick of each ram its works with no issues. and no, cpu socket isnt bent at all. If it was bent then gaming or productivity would be slow down or something.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Rahat_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
No idea why you needed to post another topic about it;

Take out your GPU, fully. Plug your monitor to your MoBo and look if PC works fine.
Yes, it works only on integrated graphics to VGA port. but with GTX 1060 card sometime its displays (with single beep) and sometimes not (1 long and 3 short beep)

edit: when GTX 1060 plugged, i had to try with only VGA port on mobo. so it displays without issues. I used display port converter btw

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Then, there are 2 possible options:
1. Your GPU is defective.
2. Your PCI-E x16 slot on MoBo is defective.

IF GPU works fine, without issues, on 2nd PC, it's your MoBo issue.
In this case, replace the MoBo. Or better yet, go with new CPU-MoBo-RAM combo, since your CPU is old.

You could try 2nd, known to work GPU in your MoBo as well. If PCI-E x16 slot is the issue, you'd get the same results as with GTX 1060.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it works only on integrated graphics to VGA port. but with GTX 1060 card sometime its displays (with single beep) and sometimes not (1 long and 3 short beep)

edit: when GTX 1060 plugged, i had to try with only VGA port on mobo. so it displays without issues.

Then the issue is either graphics card or motherboard. Next step, try another card. If you haven't put back the card yet since trying igpu then try put it back. Maybe it just needed reseating. Also try clean pcie and graphics card contacts with cotton swab and isopropyl.

I saw your other thread before it went away and no, tpm is not required for a graphics card, only Win11. Which btw, you bypassed that requirement it looks like. Gigabyte support got that wrong, all they saw was Win11 on an old board and that seemed to them was the end of their efforts. Lame.

Rahat_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
IF GPU works fine, without issues, on 2nd PC, it's your MoBo issue.
Oh yeah, a few days ago I had to take my GTX 1060 to a technician's shop, and it worked. Their mobo had a B450 chipset. When plugging in PCI-Ex, hold power button and boots to windows normally.

I do not believe it's my GPU giving me issues. I've loved my card since 2016/Dec. I used it for a long time until now.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
and that seemed to them was the end of their efforts. Lame.
In some aspect, the lack of support from Gigabyte standpoint is understandable. Since when you use OS that is not officially supported on the hardware, there is 0 obligation to offer support.

In similar sense, you can look how far someone would get around here if they use pirated OS, instead of legit OS.

I do not believe it's my GPU giving me issues. I've loved my card since 2016/Dec. I used it for a long time until now.
What you believe and what your PC tells us symptoms wise, are two different things.

Also, your love to your GPU doesn't make it last forever. It still can die at any given moment. And the fact that you already took it to repair shop, indicates that there is something wrong with your GPU. Since why else you should take it to repair shop?

Rahat_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
Also, your love to your GPU doesn't make it last forever.
I know it won't last forever, I was just saying. today, it's still a popular card, and it does well at 1080p with ultra-optimized settings. I do not game at all. I work as freelance you know 3D stuff work.

Since why else you should take it to repair shop?
I just took it to a repair shop to test my GPU. It turns out it's only with B85 defective PCI-ex that it doesn't contact the GPU. thats why i'm seeing "1 long beep and 3 short beep"

its not dead yet.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
would you please give me youtube video link - how to

and will this do?

Isopropyl is alcohol based spray and evaporates quickly, found at most hardware stores and pc shops should sell this or equivalent as well. Wd40 leaves a residue and wouldn't use that on electronics. Car electrical wires etc yeah but not on computers. Probably null now since you got the thing diagnosed at a pc store, that was quick.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
In some aspect, the lack of support from Gigabyte standpoint is understandable. Since when you use OS that is not officially supported on the hardware, there is 0 obligation to offer support.

In similar sense, you can look how far someone would get around here if they use pirated OS, instead of legit OS.

Bypassing tpm isn't illegal and hardware beeps has nothing to do with os. It's just simply they couldn't be bothered helping.

Rahat_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
@boju

@Aeacus

Hi, My card GTX 1060 has misleading behavior.

well, its kind of weird.

first, when the GTX 1060 HDMI is plugged into the monitor (1x8 pins connected), the BIOS doesn't display, which persists with 1 long beep and 3 short beeps again.

Second, if I pull out a 1x8-pin PCI cord and plug it into the motherboard's HDMI port to monitor (with an HDMI to VGA converter), it gives only a single beep and displays bios then boots to windows normally.

third, when using onboard graphics for 5 minutes, i had to shut down pc then swap the hdmi cable to the monitor and the 1x8 pin connector to the gpu. boom it worked. (maybe it was a recognizing issues) and ofcourse integrated graphics memory enabled on bios. (when disabled for GTX 1060, it beeps 1 long and 3 short again).

fourth, when setting the bios to IGFX instead of PCI, selecting PCI can't be displayed when taking out the GTX 1060. so when reseating cmos it displays with integrated graphics. (reseating cmos makes defaults to IGFX)

10 minutes later, I tried putting GTX 1060 card and boom it worked.

Some hours later, I had to shut down, and after 2 hours turning on, here I go with 1 long beep and 3 short beep comes back. (with or without IGPU enabled when using GTX 1060)

So what do you make of those issues?

1. power supply 2. motherboard

I think motherboards pci is the blame or maybe bios rom cant detect the dedicated cards memory or something.

Rahat_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
@boju
@Aeacus

Right now, I'm using a GTX 1060 to test the motherboard and power supply.

and I've noticed something on the monitor; this colored noise appeared suddenly, and the monitor screen was like, "go back and come back in a second"

I just photoshopped to give you an idea: have a look

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah it's either motherboard, faulty graphics card or power supply. Which part to start narrowing down with would have to be the power supply if can't source another graphics card from someone you know. At least if new psu doesn't solve your issue, could repurpose it in an overhaul build if you decide to do that later. Something decent like Corsair Rm, 450w will be enough for that system or go higher in Rmx class if you see bigger plans in future.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
and I've noticed something on the monitor; this colored noise appeared suddenly, and the monitor screen was like, "go back and come back in a second"

I just photoshopped to give you an idea: have a look
That looks like VRAM artifacts. Meaning that your GPU is on it's way out.

Yes, it works only on integrated graphics to VGA port.
To confirm it: When you take your GPU out of your system and plug your monitor to MoBo, PC boots up fine and image is artifact free? Yes?
Try that again and look if you still see these artifacts on your monitor, when using CPU's iGPU.

Also, it seems you have hard time accpeting that your GPU is toast. Despite it sometimes working. GPU artifacts are another sign of GPU dying and it will get worse, up to the point of no matter what you do, your GTX 1060 will not work at all.

Rahat_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
it will get worse, up to the point of no matter what you do, your GTX 1060 will not work at all.
Okay how about i take it to repair shop and they fix it? I watched a video how a technician repairs.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9SWpMLRnAc

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goViV2IYogk

maybe i should use this card for a while then upgrade to i7 13th + Z790 + 24GB RAM + RTX 3060 12 + 750/850 PSU with good recommended UPS to save my other components (1500VA or 2000KVA ups.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Okay how about i take it to repair shop and they fix it?
How much money are you willing to spend on this GPU? ~200 bucks can get you GTX 1660, which is both newer (brand new) and better than GTX 1060.

Also, does the repair guy give you warranty for the repair job? E.g 1 year. Since if they don't, what's the point on repairing it, IF it again dies? Like it already did, twice.

If you could get 1 year warranty and repair cost is less than 100 bucks. It may be worthwhile. But if you don't get any warranty and repair is over 100 bucks, buy GTX 1660 instead.

maybe i should use this card for a while
You can use your PC with iGPU. So, why would you need GTX 1060, which doesn't work? Gaming? If so, that's entertainment and optional. But if you want to game, buy new GPU that works and has warranty (just in case something should happen to it).

Rahat_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
How much money are you willing to spend on this GPU?
Also, does the repair guy give you warranty for the repair job?
They said "general repairing and servicing costs are $15," and if it depends on the graphics card's condition, then the cost may go up. (Let's say under $50?)

They also provide customers with a 30-day warranty. If, within 30 days, you have any issues, they will fix them for free.

I talked to them online, so I will get there and see what they say in person.