[SOLVED] 1070 not performing up to the mark

I recently changed my 1060 3gb to a 1070 but my performance number didn't increase that much. It still nearly the same. Just a 5-10% increase. I didn't change my CPU though and its still the old 2400G.
So what can the issue be here? I am on all latest drivers and Windows Updates.

Solution
I didn't touch anything in Nvidia Control Panel.
Well then, it may help - MAY - to make a couple changes, especially in the power plan, of which the default focuses on power consumption.
Open Nvidia Control Panel, click on 'Adjust image settings with preview', click on 'Use the advanced 3D image settings', then on 'Take me there', and make the following changes:
Power management mode: You can choose either Adaptive or Max Performance. The only difference is that Max will do just that, even when you're not really using the gpu.
Texture filtering - Quality: Set to High performance
Make sure you hit Apply before exiting, and check the gpu's performance in game again.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I recently changed my 1060 3gb to a 1070 but my performance number didn't increase that much. It still nearly the same. Just a 5-10% increase. I didn't change my CPU though and its still the old 2400G.
So what can the issue be here? I am on all latest drivers and Windows Updates.
You should've monitored your in game performance before you made the 'upgrade'.
Cpu usage: monitor each core/thread, because one is all it takes to become cpu limited
Ram usage: shouldn't be an issue here, unless something in the background is using up extra ram, but monitor it anyway
Gpu usage: do it with the 1060 installed. But if you already got rid of it, continue with using the 1070.

Play your games and take note which was the weakest link, and which had the most headroom.
If, for example, you find that performance was mostly held back by the cpu, then that's what you should've upgraded, not the gpu.

Reactions: rounakr94
You should've monitored your in game performance before you made the 'upgrade'.
Cpu usage: monitor each core/thread, because one is all it takes to become cpu limited
Ram usage: shouldn't be an issue here, unless something in the background is using up extra ram, but monitor it anyway
Gpu usage: do it with the 1060 installed. But if you already got rid of it, continue with using the 1070.

Play your games and take note which was the weakest link, and which had the most headroom.
If, for example, you find that performance was mostly held back by the cpu, then that's what you should've upgraded, not the gpu.
Wt7fbBk.jpg

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's not much to go on...
Is Far Cry 5 the only game you play? You should test in multiple titles; not all games are created equal.
There's cpu heavy ones, gpu heavy, ram heavy, and combinations of the 3 - and some game engines were poorly optimized; performance doesn't significantly improve even on high end rigs.

Back to the screenshot:
-try increasing the eyecandy(highest graphics preset) to see if you can push the gpu harder
-does your fps increase if you play on the lowest preset? [Assuming you're not playing on the lowest already.]

That's not much to go on...
Is Far Cry 5 the only game you play? You should test in multiple titles; not all games are created equal.
There's cpu heavy ones, gpu heavy, ram heavy, and combinations of the 3 - and some game engines were poorly optimized; performance doesn't significantly improve even on high end rigs.

Back to the screenshot:
-try increasing the eyecandy(highest graphics preset) to see if you can push the gpu harder
-does your fps increase if you play on the lowest preset? [Assuming you're not playing on the lowest already.]

Monitoring Star Wars fallen Jedi I see that some cores are working harder than others. Like core 3 is at 60% while 1 and 6 are on 30%.

On FC5 I benchmarked all settings and got
93 AVG on Low
85 AVG on Normal
80 AVG on High
77 AVG on Ultra

So I think my CPU maybe at play here, GPU usage between the settings didnt differ much, atmost 5%increase or decrease and stayed below 70%

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I didn't touch anything in Nvidia Control Panel.
Well then, it may help - MAY - to make a couple changes, especially in the power plan, of which the default focuses on power consumption.
Open Nvidia Control Panel, click on 'Adjust image settings with preview', click on 'Use the advanced 3D image settings', then on 'Take me there', and make the following changes:
Power management mode: You can choose either Adaptive or Max Performance. The only difference is that Max will do just that, even when you're not really using the gpu.
Make sure you hit Apply before exiting, and check the gpu's performance in game again.

Reactions: rounakr94
Solution
UPDATE: managed to run star wars at 60fps. Looks like the Maximum fps in settings kept reverting to 45 instead of 144 as a result I got the fps stutters. After reinstalling all seems to work well.

Benchmarked my gpu in Unigine. Here are the results
View: https://i.imgur.com/3BXO7ng.png