[SOLVED] 1080p Asus vs 1440p Dell for my new monitor?

thegreatestusername

Commendable
Nov 27, 2019
Hi all!
I'm going to be getting a new monitor, to upgrade from the 27" 1080p 60hz Samsung I have now.
I'm trying to decide between the following:
  • Asus VG278Q 27" 1080p 144hz TN
  • Dell S2719DGF 27" 1440p 155hz TN
I am aware of the shortcomings of TN, but I don't mind, considering my use case. This is more about the resolution. I sit 80 centimeters (2.6 ft) away from my monitor.

I play mainly Apex, so would like to benefit from the high refresh rate as much as possible. I do also play offline RPGs sometimes. Otherwise, just regular web browsing and video watching. This will be running on a system with a Ryzen 5 3600 and a 5700 XT.

Here is a list of game benchmarks I found on some YouTube videos that used my exact system. I am concerned by the fact that, already, some AAA offline games have 60 - 80 FPS at 1440p, and Apex has about 120. That could mean that new games a year from now (with better graphics) would dip below that, and I would need to get a new GPU, which was not the plan. I'm thinking 1080p resolution would allow me to extend that time, but I'm not sure if I'd be compromising too much.

At that distance, which monitor (resolution) do you think I should go for?

Solution
I'd go for 1440p. I used 1080p for years, then bought a cheap 4K 60Hz monitor and was disappointed. Then I splurged on a nice 1440p 165Hz monitor and it's been my favorite piece of hardware since. If you have adaptive sync in the monitor drops in frame rates won't bother you much at all. Those games that get around 60fps now are third-person RPGs that don't necessarily depend on high-framerates to give a good gaming experience.
I'd go for 1440p. I used 1080p for years, then bought a cheap 4K 60Hz monitor and was disappointed. Then I splurged on a nice 1440p 165Hz monitor and it's been my favorite piece of hardware since. If you have adaptive sync in the monitor drops in frame rates won't bother you much at all. Those games that get around 60fps now are third-person RPGs that don't necessarily depend on high-framerates to give a good gaming experience.

Solution

thegreatestusername

Commendable
Nov 27, 2019

Thanks for the advice! :) Would you not be concerned though that similar kinds of RPGs in a year might be, say, 40 FPS, and then either the GPU needs to be replaced, or the settings need to be lowered? Or would the 1440p resolution compensate?

Thanks for the advice! :) Would you not be concerned though that similar kinds of RPGs in a year might be, say, 40 FPS, and then either the GPU needs to be replaced, or the settings need to be lowered? Or would the 1440p resolution compensate?
I've played Assassin's Creed at 40fps and it still plays great at that frame rate. Consoles only play it at 30fps (with drops). You can always lower the resolution.

Awesome! Thanks. How have you found the monitor? Do you have to increase the Windows text scaling?
I'm using 1440p as well, 27" Acer Predator IPS w/ G-SYNC. I don't use Windows scaling and I absolutely love the extra screen space for multi-tasking while doing homework, research, programming, photo/video editing, and more. My 4K monitor beside it has Windows screen scaling to 150% to match the screen space of my 1440p monitor. I can easily fit two windows per screen. My 1080p monitor seems small in comparison, reminiscent of a 720p screen.
My build -> https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WpV9hy

thegreatestusername

Commendable
Nov 27, 2019
I'm using 1440p as well, 27" Acer Predator IPS w/ G-SYNC. I don't use Windows scaling and I absolutely love the extra screen space for multi-tasking while doing homework, research, programming, photo/video editing, and more. My 4K monitor beside it has Windows screen scaling to 150% to match the screen space of my 1440p monitor. I can easily fit two windows per screen. My 1080p monitor seems small in comparison, reminiscent of a 720p screen.
My build -> https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WpV9hy

Thanks for the insight! Could you give me an idea of how far away from your 1440p monitor you sit?

I'm trying to figure out if by going up to 1440p on a 27", I will need to compensate for the smaller font size by enabling Windows text scaling (say... 110-120%, like some people do). But I've heard that's a bad (blurry) experience, even in 2019.

Thanks for the insight! Could you give me an idea of how far away from your 1440p monitor you sit?

I'm trying to figure out if by going up to 1440p on a 27", I will need to compensate for the smaller font size by enabling Windows text scaling (say... 110-120%, like some people do). But I've heard that's a bad (blurry) experience, even in 2019.
I sit between 23-32" away comfortably with 100% resolution (no scaling). It just depends on if I'm sitting straight up playing a game or slouched back.

thegreatestusername

Commendable
Nov 27, 2019
I sit between 23-32" away comfortably with 100% resolution (no scaling). It just depends on if I'm sitting straight up playing a game or slouched back.

Cool! That's actually the same distance I use. I sit about 24" for reading, and about 31" for gaming. I guess it could turn out that my eyesight is worse than yours, and I will need scaling, but I'll only know once I've experienced it.

If I was also looking at a 25" 1080p, like Dell's 144hz S2419HGF or Alienware's 240hz AW2518HF, which would increase the PPI I'm used to (since they're smaller 1080p screens), would you still recommend getting the 1440p 27"?