Question 1080p PC on 4K TV help

scrancher

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
Hi all.

I am trying to get my native 1080p laptop to display that (1080p) resolution on my 4K TV, so that I can play PC games on the big screen with a PS4 controller, but no matter what I try and do, the TV will only display 3840 x 2160 resolution; making the games lag and the picture look blurry / choppy, as if the PC's 1080p was forced to be upscaled to ''4K'' on the TV.
When I set the display resolution to 1920 x 1080 in windows 10 on my laptop (an around 5 year old MSI GE70 2PE Apache Pro), using the original PS4 Pro HDMI cable (I believe is a high-speed one), my 4K Android TV (a 2018 Sony Bravia KD-49XF8096 model) will still display 3840 x 2160 on the screen, and the result is the same (blurry picture and choppy game frames).
Everything is updated, and I have tried all of the 4 different HDMI ports on the TV, as well as literally all associated TV-side settings (I have called Sony support that guided me through them all) -- which include setting the HDMI format to Standard and Enhanced mode, and a lot more, but to no avail.

Is there anything that I can do to successfully make my 4K TV display the game I am playing on my laptop in 1080p resolution, so that the image looks crisp and the games won't lag? I have no issues with the games on my PC and with lag and resolution etc, so it seems odd to me that it isn't as simple as a HDMI plug'n'play from the PC and onto the TV.
I essentially just want to extend my PC's screen onto my big TV screen, and otherwise have the same gaming experience.
I hope that you can help me with this issue.

Thanks in advance!

scrancher

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
Hi siaan312, and thank you for your reply!

Yes. To my knowledge, everything I can set to 1080p is set; like the display settings in windows 10, the settings inside games etc. Although there isn't a setting to do so, I know that the TV can display 1080p, despite being native 4K, so it's weird?

scrancher

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
UPDATE to my issue:

So, I managed to fix my initial issue by myself, and in short, to whom it might help: it turned out that I had to set the desired settings in not 1, not 2, but 3 places. All I lacked was the third place to set them (that was in the Intel CPU graphics control panel), but who would have known...

Anyway, now I have two other issues, which I hope some of you can help me with:

1. Now that both my laptop and TV are set to 1080p at 60p Hz, i oddly enough experience a bit of a.. wouldn't say lag, but not the smoothest of frames all the time while gaming. It looks crisp on both monitors now, It runs smooth on the PC screen, but just not as smooth on the big TV screen. I have the monitors set to duplicate, and there is no difference if I only display the screen on the TV, so, how can this be?

2. (This might be the cause of issue #1) in my Windows 10 advanced display settings, both display 1 (Laptop) and Display 2 (the 4K TV) states: Connected to Intel HD Graphics [my CPU]. This could explain the lower frames, but doesn't make sense, as my laptop has no lower frames at all.
So, A) how can I change this setting to be connected to my GPU? and B) how come my PC runs fine, but the screen of my TV has more choppy frames, when both monitors are connected by the CPU, and are otherwise a duplicated 1080p screen? :-S