12 vs 24 gig of corsair memory.

danfromoh

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
I have an i7 950 chip and matching gigabyte motherboard which has six memory slots. I am going to order corsair triple channel 2000 mz. ddr3 (12 gig). does it make sense to go ahead and buy a second set to fill all six slots and have 24 gig of memory. But I heard that the memory speed then drops. I am a novice and any insight is helpful. I am a gamer for games like stars wars mmo and eve.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
you will never use more than 12gig for gaming, so unless you have a software that needs extreme memory sizes, there will be no performance difference while gaming with more than 12gig. keep the money for something more important.

Depends on what you are using ..... certain apps will see a performance increase with that much memory .... certain apps will will see a performance increase with that higher speed of that memory .... certain apps will see a performance increase with lower CAS ..... since I don't know if you have any of those, it's hard to answer your question.

Gaming is slightly impacted by more, faster and lower CAS memory.....typically on the order of 2 -4 % ..... if 36 fps goes to 37, will ya notice ?

here's some test results

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,2778-8.html

Mafia II for example goes from 101.2 w/ 6GB to to 102.9 w/ 12 GB an increase of just 1.7%