1366 VS Dual 771 - Benchmarks

horatio b

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
I have a friend who is quite knowledgeable about servers. He has a dual 771 Dell Server running two quadcore neons at 2.5Ghz (i believe,) And some FB DIMMS. I have an i7-950 overclocked to 4Ghz (water cooled) on a ASUS P6T Deluxe (original with onboards SAS) 12GB 1600Mhz Patriot RAM. He really believes that he has a superior system to mine Based on the cost of our systems. Thus we made a bet. We are gonna run 15 benchmarks to put our arguement to rest. The winner keeps the losers machine. So this thread is for two things. Please Fire off about who you think will be the Victor (Me of coarse) and what operating systems do you Recommend we running our benchmarks on and what benchmarks do you recommend. I want a wide range of benchmarks synthetics and real life applications. After I read all your opinions and advise I will post the OS and the benchmarks to be ran. Also if you could provide links to download some of these benchmarks I would really appreciate it.

Solution

ace700

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
You are most lucky to win in benchmark testing, unless you are running test that act like multply users/computers are running at the same time on the sever. I would say use futuremark3D Vantage, PassMark Performance Test or check here http://downloads.guru3d.com/

ActionHobo

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Several versions of 3Dmark, and also a few graphic intensive games and compare framerates.

I personally hope the server will win just because I hate how overrated i7s are and how everyone who owns one seems to think it's the greatest thing in the world and can beat any computer ever. I especially hate the 950. It's not even one of the good i7s, implying that there are good i7s.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Well, you should make it somewhat fair. Windows 7 has the best thread management of any Windows OS so far.

With those clock speeds, the i7 definitely has the advantage. Anything with 4 threads or less will make the i7 win by a long shot. Things with 8 threads might be close.

Sisoftware Sandra will show the theoretical best of each system:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=2056&file=4&evp=961bab4bcae4ac632dacb807b976bc0b

Cinebench has single thread and multithreaded tests:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/CineBENCH-11.5-download-2475.html

Good luck; I don't know why he thinks his system beats yours just based on cost especially since server parts cost a ton more for the same type of hardware. If he really knows servers, he should know how fast the i7 really is compared to the older Core 2 arch. FB DIMMS were terrible for bandwidth, and the FSB is nowhere near as good as QPI even though QPI is useless for desktop; the FSB will slow his config down.

Solution

horatio b

Distinguished
May 16, 2009

Best response so far. This is exactly what I was looking for.

horatio b

Distinguished
May 16, 2009

That is your entire argument? What about architecture? What about clock speed? What about RAM? What about Windows 7 advance Multithreading handling capabilities, where it knows what cores are physical and logical and what kind of work load to assign to each? What about the AMD Thuban sucks compared to most i7s?

Well I appreciate your opinion... but you might wanna do some research for your own personal knowledge for when you plan on upgrading your system next. Tomshardware has tons of articles benchmarking CPUs/GPUs and a heck of a lot of other hardware and software. so just check them out, it's a wealth of knowledge.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

The server system is @ 2.5ghz while the i7 is @ 4ghz. i7 is ~20% faster clock for clock plus 0-30% with hyperthreading depending on the application.

The server is also hampered with FSB, this slows multi-cpu configurations since the processors have to go through the FSB along with memory, graphics, HD data, etc.

It may just depend on how much the program is optimized/can make use of hyperthreading.