iKrloz

Honorable
Jun 9, 2015
First let me give oyu my specs:

RTX 2080 Ti
i7 8086k
16 GB, CAS 14 3200 mhz RAM
DELL S2716DG 1440p 144HZ 1ms G-Sync monitor

So recently I bought an RTX 2080 Ti from EVGA, so far so good that thing pushes any game at ultra at 144 fps
however, I think im not enjoying its full potential with my 1440p monitor, so Im thinking on an upgrade to
any of these 2 types of monitors:

(any of the 2 most recent models which are from Dell and LG)
21:9 ultrawide 1440p IPS, 4ms, G-Sync which are less than $1000 USD

vs

(one of the only two models with these features, the ASUS PG27UQ and the Acer one)
a 4k UHD HDR, 144hz 16:9 IPS, 4ms, G-Sync v2 monitor which costs $2000 USD

so basicaly I'd have to pay double for that HDR feature and the upgrade in resolution

The use i´d give to it is purely gaming, no productivity, im not a creator, nor a streamer. Im just a consumer who loves the eyecandy on recent AAA games such as Assassins Creed, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, GTA Online, etc. Also, Im planning on getting a wheel for trying racing games such as Forza Horizon 4 and Motorsport 7
I mostly play adventure/3rd person action games and I think that on both options I would enjoy the open world environments at 4k HDR resolutions or with that glorious ultrawide FOV.

I also play the most recent Firt Person Shooters (like BF II and BF V), but only casually and mostly to just ot play the campaign,
so no competitivness has to be considered on my decision.

As for my budget, I'd buy the ultrawide by September and the 4k one i'd have to save for it until late-December
the 4k its definetly super expensive but I'd pay for it if the HDR at 4k feature is worth it and also if that is enough for pushing my RTX 2080Ti to its full potential

So should I buy the Ultrawide and wait until 4K HDR G-Sync monitors prices get lower and become more affordable maybe next year or so?
or should I go and invest the $2k on the latest and greatest from ASUS?

Solution
Go with the Ultrawide. The larger field of view will be worth it, plus they are great for use in content creation. You could also look for a 3840x1600 38" monitor if you want even more resolution but keeping the ultrawide screen.

I have an ultrawide screen myself and the extra field of view is so nice compared to a standard 16:9 screen.
Go with the Ultrawide. The larger field of view will be worth it, plus they are great for use in content creation. You could also look for a 3840x1600 38" monitor if you want even more resolution but keeping the ultrawide screen.

I have an ultrawide screen myself and the extra field of view is so nice compared to a standard 16:9 screen.

Solution

iKrloz

Honorable
Jun 9, 2015

Thanks, im going for the Lg ultrawide then, i ve been thinking about it a lot and finally decided that was my best choice

Ascott768

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

I agree I went to ultrawide and I will never go back to 16:9.