Question 144hz monitor sometimes stuck at 60hz on boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2019
So I have this problem I have been having for quite a while now, it happens from time to time (maybe once a week) where I boot my PC up and I notice my monitor for some reason is at 60hz.

I then go to check the Nvidia control panel of course to see if I can change it but the option is simply not there, it only goes to 60hz.

The only way to fix this from what I have tried is to reboot the PC.

As I said I have been having this problem for a good while now (a year or so) and I cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing it.

What could be causing this? During the time I have had this issue I have updated to different graphics drivers so I don't think it would be that.

My specs:
GPU: GTX 1050Ti
CPU: i7-6700K
RAM: 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero - ATX / Z170
Monitor: BenQ
BenQ XL2720Z 144Hz 1080p Monitor (connected to my PC via DisplayPort).

Feb 14, 2019
definitely can be that lol.
use DDU to uninstall drivers then download latest drivers and install fresh.

DDU
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Drivers with GeForce Experience
https://www.geforce.com/drivers

Drivers without GeForce Experience
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

I probably should have written this in the original post but I pretty much always use DDU when installing new drivers so I have already done this, and I never install GeForce Experience with my drivers if it makes any difference.

Thanks for answering by the way! :)

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
could be and issue with the monitor itself.
could be and issue with Windows.
could be and issue with the cable you are using.
could be an issue with the port on the GPU you are using.
could be a general issue with the GPU itself.

hard to say really.
can try getting a hold of a different monitor with a higher refresh rate to see if it's the monitor.
can try using a different cable to connect/use a different port on the card to connect to rule those out as well.

Feb 14, 2019
could be and issue with the monitor itself.
could be and issue with Windows.
could be and issue with the cable you are using.
could be an issue with the port on the GPU you are using.
could be a general issue with the GPU itself.

hard to say really.
can try getting a hold of a different monitor with a higher refresh rate to see if it's the monitor.
can try using a different cable to connect/use a different port on the card to connect to rule those out as well.

Yeah, I pretty much thought I was going to get an answer like that. It is indeed really hard to pinpoint where the issue is stemming from. And since it only happens once in a while, sometimes not for a couple of weeks at a time it is going to take a good while to test everything. Cannot really get my hands on a different monitor at the moment but could try a different cable for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.