16gb DDR3 Kit

arnett

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Hi all, I've been lurking on Tom's Hardware for years but this is my first time posting. I am considering upgrading RAM considering the low prices and my current situation of having a little extra cash. I don't really know if I need to, I understand that 16gb is not necessary. But if it won't hurt me I am willing to throw the money down and populate the slots on my MB.

My specs:
ASUS Maximus III Formula Mobo
Intel i5 750
OCZ Reaper DDR3-1600 4gb (2x2gb) : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227320

I assume this is the only necessary information when considering a memory upgrade, if not let me know.

If anyone has some suggestions on a good 16gb kit of equal or greater quality to what I have now I'd be very appreciative. I really don't know if the RAM I have is what I want for my setup, I was sort of winging it when I put this PC together. If it would be better for me to settle for 8gb or 12gb and just add to the RAM that I have I would do that, but I assume there are better choices now.

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

-Arnett

Newegg must have had too many returns and dropped some or all of their ocz. Here's a good value upgrade. I wouldn't mix it with the ocz, but it might work anyway. Newegg link broke when editing post. The link is for gskill ripjaws 1600 8 gb for $44.99. 8 or 12 gb is plenty.

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

arnett

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
A few questions I have:

Geek, you say I have enough RAM. Do you think above 4gb is COMPLETE overkill?

o1die, why wouldn't you mix that with the current OCZ?

Finally, if my 4gb right now is completely all I need, is the RAM I have now good? I honestly picked it because it had the lowest timings I could find, and I recalled someone telling me low timings are good. I popped it in, checked it and it had what it claimed so that's what I've been running. I vaguely remember running memtest on it too.

I really am not in the market because what I have isn't any good, I just saw that the market was ridiculous on memory these days and figured I'd jump on 16gb. But if it's really pointless I can't justify spending the money. If I will get any increase in performance though I'd like to do it.

If I can't mix and an upgrade is worth it I'll just get 16gb. If I can mix and an upgrade is worth it I'll add 8gb. Otherwise if others concur and an upgrade is not worth it I'll save my extra money.

Thanks so much for the responses thus far, you guys are a big help.

arnett

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
My budget is not too small, I can spend a chunk more than that $80 if it's really worth it. If I don't have to sacrifice speed to upgrade to 16gb I'd rather not.

Akashdeep

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

When you purchase Memory, ensure that the memory kit is tested ok and the seller provides warranty or other services properly.

P_500.jpg