imdawdaw

Prominent
Dec 14, 2018
Hi there,
I am in a dilemma now as i have seen the 3600 being £170 on ccl and since the much improved IPC i am wondering whether to buy it. I have a 1800x now @3.9GHz (i think 4 isn't stable for me anymore, had this for a year and a half now) and i have cooler master AIO liquid cooler so i would be able to cool the 3600 easily @4.2/3GHz. Checking some benchmarks online (mainly hardware unboxed) the 3600 is around ~10% faster. I have a vega 56 and using Ultrawide 2560x1080, in some games my gpu usage goes down to around 50-60% cause of my CPU (i think) e.g. Odyssey in Athens or Origins in Alexandria
HELP

Solution
3600 might provide better 'pure gaming' performance but if you do anything else with the system you might find yourself missing all 8 cores/16 threads of smooth processing power the 1800x provides.

In particular, if you do image/video rendering. Or should you like to do video capture, streaming, discording or other things alongside your gaming it helps put off the onset of stuttering when 6 cores/12 threads has to wait until something slow gets out of the way.

In other words: it's not a total win. Save up and put it on a 3700x instead; most any 300 or 400 series mobo should be solid for one so it should be a simple BIOS update and upgrade.

jessenwindlim

Commendable
Aug 29, 2018
iornically the 3600 doesnt really need that much of a colling from an aio , unless you oc a lot , at which point the zen 2 offers so little of a headroom to oc its pointless , 1800x to 3600 would greatly benefit your use , gaming does use cores now more than ever , but the ipc gain from zen 1 to 2 is quite substantial ( says me who bought a 2600 when 3500 is the same price )

3600 might provide better 'pure gaming' performance but if you do anything else with the system you might find yourself missing all 8 cores/16 threads of smooth processing power the 1800x provides.

In particular, if you do image/video rendering. Or should you like to do video capture, streaming, discording or other things alongside your gaming it helps put off the onset of stuttering when 6 cores/12 threads has to wait until something slow gets out of the way.

In other words: it's not a total win. Save up and put it on a 3700x instead; most any 300 or 400 series mobo should be solid for one so it should be a simple BIOS update and upgrade.

Solution