Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Is this a good deal? I seem to remember Melissa ordered a 19 inch
monitor for less and it was faster. I'm going hunting her monitor but
wanted to get opinions. As you can tell, I'm on Tiger Direct's mailing
list.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1205042&sku=S197-1918&SRCCODE=WEM872C&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL
--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Lawn Dart wrote:

> In the past week, I've done a great deal of reading about CRT versus
> LCD monitors for gaming. I've also bought one CRT monitor, returned
> it, and ordered a different one! :)
>
> While there are some differing opinions here and there, the overall
> impression I get from all my reading is that unless you're willing to
> spend a good deal more for a 19" LCD than you would for a 19" CRT,
> you're still better off with a CRT; especially for gaming. A CRT
> monitor in the $200-300 range will give you better gaming quality
> than a LCD monitor in the same price range (comparing screen
> resolutions, response time/refresh rate, color saturation, etc.).
>
> I'll let you know how my new 19" CRT looks when it arrives; hopefully
> by the end of this week. Here's the one I ordered:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-116-282&depa=0
>
> - --
> Melissa

Thanks for replying Melissa. I have another question for you. I have
been looking at New Egg's monitors and they seem to have several CRTs at
less than $200.00

What is wrong with these guys. At that price it couldn't be that of a
good deal.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=24-197-002&DEPA=0

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

That totally ignores the way-more-important aspects of owning a monitor.
A GOOD LCD is worth so much more than the best CRT.
Why ?
Because for 99% of games and 100% of sims, a GOOD LCD is perfect.
But the most important aspect of a monitor is eyestrain - and for that,
LCD's are 101% better than CRT's.
Then you got things like peripheral image distortion, flatness, footprint,
weight, portability, reliability and static dust build-up .... and that's
just for starters.

Lawn Dart wrote:

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Lawn Dart wrote:

> Hi boB,
>
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 06:06:24 GMT, you wrote:
>

>>What is wrong with these guys. At that price it couldn't be that of
>>a good deal.
>

>>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=24-197-002&DEPA=0
>

> Funny you should mention that particular monitor! It's the *very same
> model* I purchased last week at a local Staples store for $130 (on
> sale), and returned yesterday! :) Then, after a good deal more
> online reading and phone calls to people asking about this or that, I
> ordered the ViewSonic G90FB monitor from newegg.com.

I actually looked at the 19" Envision EFT920 and realized it's the same
monitor I have now. All that is different is mine has the Gateway Logo
and the model is VX930. Everything from the buttons to the shape of the
case are exactly the same otherwise.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

"Forum User" <forum_user@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> That totally ignores the way-more-important aspects of owning a monitor.
> A GOOD LCD is worth so much more than the best CRT.
> Why ?
> Because for 99% of games and 100% of sims, a GOOD LCD is perfect.
> But the most important aspect of a monitor is eyestrain - and for that,
> LCD's are 101% better than CRT's.
> Then you got things like peripheral image distortion, flatness, footprint,
> weight, portability, reliability and static dust build-up .... and that's
> just for starters.

mmm. can't argue with your last sentence, but regarding eyestrain?
Yes, LCD's are flicker free which is why they are perceived as being better;
but for those gamers and simmers using good graphics cards (and most will
be) they will be running CRT's at high refresh rates where flicker won't be
a problem. I bought an Iiyama LCD 2 years ago because of space limitations
and am very pleased with it. But I recently hooked up the old Iiyama CRT as
well and in no way did it suffer by comparison. I use a Radeon 9800XT.

Chris

Chris Curtis wrote:
> "Forum User" <forum_user@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> That totally ignores the way-more-important aspects of owning a
>> monitor. A GOOD LCD is worth so much more than the best CRT.
>> Why ?
>> Because for 99% of games and 100% of sims, a GOOD LCD is perfect.
>> But the most important aspect of a monitor is eyestrain - and for
>> that, LCD's are 101% better than CRT's.
>> Then you got things like peripheral image distortion, flatness,
>> footprint, weight, portability, reliability and static dust build-up
>> .... and that's just for starters.
>>

> mmm. can't argue with your last sentence, but regarding eyestrain?
> Yes, LCD's are flicker free which is why they are perceived as being
> better; but for those gamers and simmers using good graphics cards
> (and most will be) they will be running CRT's at high refresh rates
> where flicker won't be a problem.

No, no, no, no, no !
ANY refresh rate (ie - any CRT) causes eyestrain.
Visibility has NOTHING to do with it.
It's about the effect on your visual cortex.
Spend even a few minutes at 120 MHz and you start noticing it straight away,
if you're used to an LCD.
Eyestrain is the NUMBER ONE reason I cannot use an LCD.

> No, no, no, no, no !
> ANY refresh rate (ie - any CRT) causes eyestrain.
> Visibility has NOTHING to do with it.
> It's about the effect on your visual cortex.
> Spend even a few minutes at 120 MHz and you start noticing it straight
> away, if you're used to an LCD.
> Eyestrain is the NUMBER ONE reason I cannot use an LCD.

OK, I'm not deaf nor do I get eyestrain despite sitting in front of two
CRT's at work :)
However, I take your point and having googled around it would appear for the
majority of people you are correct!!

Chris

Chris,
I cannot quite understand why you are so emotional about these screens.
Surely the truth must be that people differ a great deal?

I am 70 years old and have spent about eight hours a day in front of three
17 inch CRT screens seven days a week for the last nine years. I enjoy the
LCD screen on my laptop, but do not use it as much, as I like my three
screens for simming.

I never have eye strain or headaches and in fact my latest eye test showed a
slight improvement! I wear variolens glasses.
--
Cheers,

Quilly

crash

Forum User wrote:
> So it really IS a glass thing !
> Well I'll be ....

I'd rate that a definite maybe.................

Quilljar wrote:
> Chris,
> I cannot quite understand why you are so emotional about these
> screens. Surely the truth must be that people differ a great deal?
>
> I am 70 years old and have spent about eight hours a day in front of
> three 17 inch CRT screens seven days a week for the last nine years. I
> enjoy the LCD screen on my laptop, but do not use it as much, as I
> like my three screens for simming.
>
> I never have eye strain or headaches and in fact my latest eye test
> showed a slight improvement! I wear variolens glasses.

I think that more or less confirms what I was saying earlier.
That people who wear glasses aren't afflicted by CRT-eyestrain.

But given the choice, I'd rather use an LCD and not have to wear glasses.

> Chris,
> I cannot quite understand why you are so emotional about these screens.
> Surely the truth must be that people differ a great deal?

I think you meant Forum User didn't you Quilly?!

Chris

CRaSH wrote:
> Forum User wrote:
>> So it really IS a glass thing !
>> Well I'll be ....
>>

> I'd rate that a definite maybe.................

I'd have rated it more of a maybe definite ...

Lawn Dart wrote:

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:22:37 GMT, "Forum User"
<forum_user@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Chris Curtis wrote:
>> "Forum User" <forum_user@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> That totally ignores the way-more-important aspects of owning a
>>> monitor. A GOOD LCD is worth so much more than the best CRT.
>>> Why ?
>>> Because for 99% of games and 100% of sims, a GOOD LCD is perfect.
>>> But the most important aspect of a monitor is eyestrain - and for
>>> that, LCD's are 101% better than CRT's.
>>> Then you got things like peripheral image distortion, flatness,
>>> footprint, weight, portability, reliability and static dust build-up
>>> .... and that's just for starters.
>>>

>> mmm. can't argue with your last sentence, but regarding eyestrain?
>> Yes, LCD's are flicker free which is why they are perceived as being
>> better; but for those gamers and simmers using good graphics cards
>> (and most will be) they will be running CRT's at high refresh rates
>> where flicker won't be a problem.
>
>No, no, no, no, no !
>ANY refresh rate (ie - any CRT) causes eyestrain.
>Visibility has NOTHING to do with it.
>It's about the effect on your visual cortex.
>Spend even a few minutes at 120 MHz and you start noticing it straight away,
>if you're used to an LCD.
>Eyestrain is the NUMBER ONE reason I cannot use an LCD.

I have a 17" NEC 1760v MultiSync and right next to it is a 19" CRT.
In the shop I use a 19" CRT and there is one on my wife's machine as
well.

I have probably spent an average of well over 8 hours a day using
computers since 1987. Back then it was probably over 12 hours a day.
It still averages over 8 hours a day and that's for 7 days a week.

I much prefer the LCD and would say it has less eye strain than the
CRTs. No glare where reflections are a royal pain on the CRTs. OTOH
I've never noticed flicker and "I do" have a CRT and LCD side by side.
As I said I much prefer the LCD.

I do a lot of photographic work, programming, e-mail and news group
reading, plain old surfing, and a bit of simming. IRL I fly a high
performance airplane for play.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

> I bought an Iiyama LCD 2 years ago
>> because of space limitations and am very pleased with it. But I
>> recently hooked up the old Iiyama CRT as well and in no way did it
>> suffer by comparison. I use a Radeon 9800XT.
>> Chris

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:50:14 -0700, Lawn Dart
<willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote:

>Hi Forum User,
>
>On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:21:46 GMT, you wrote:
>
>>> I never have eye strain or headaches and in fact my latest eye test
>>> showed a slight improvement! I wear variolens glasses.
>
>> I think that more or less confirms what I was saying earlier. That
>> people who wear glasses aren't afflicted by CRT-eyestrain.
>
>I'm not entirely convinced. I've never worn glasses, and I get tired
>of sitting in front of a computer for all sorts of reasons, but never
>because of what I would call "eye strain". Mostly for reasons like
>"I'd rather be out in my boat!" :)
>
>In any event, I don't think I really ignored the various "pros" of the
>LCDs in my earlier comments to boB, but I was thinking in terms of
>cost versus performance, and decided that in the $200-300 price

That is why I only have one 17" LCD instead of four 19" LCDs <:))

I don't notice any difference in performance, but I do notice a big
difference in price and I do prefer the LCD display.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

dallas

"Chris Curtis"
> I've just got back from the physio where I have also discovered that
> my pain threshold isn't very high!!

Now you have my attention... how do they determine that?

Do they whip your legs with a car antenna and measure how loudly you scream?
:)

Dallas

Dallas wrote:
> "Chris Curtis"
>> I've just got back from the physio where I have also discovered that
>> my pain threshold isn't very high!!
>
> Now you have my attention... how do they determine that?
>
> Do they whip your legs with a car antenna and measure how loudly you
> scream? :)

I thought you said you didn't know how they did it.

> Dallas

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dallas wrote:
> "Chris Curtis"
>
>>I've just got back from the physio where I have also discovered that
>>my pain threshold isn't very high!!
>

> Now you have my attention... how do they determine that?
>
> Do they whip your legs with a car antenna and measure how loudly you scream?
> :)
>
> Dallas

There are "ways" young JR. But sadly, since getting married, I haven't
met with my "alternate lifestyle" friends in Austin. BTW, we had
several souls from Dallas that attended the monthly festivities in
Austin. Maybe you know one????

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

> "Chris Curtis"
>> I've just got back from the physio where I have also discovered that
>> my pain threshold isn't very high!!
>
> Now you have my attention... how do they determine that?
>
> Do they whip your legs with a car antenna and measure how loudly you
> scream?
> :)
>
> Dallas

Nothing as pleasant as that!!
A combination of thumbs, vertebrae and stretching.
He seemed to imply that there might be too much computer activity in the
evenings.
I can't think what he means

Chris

dallas

"Chris Curtis"
> He seemed to imply that there might be too much computer activity in the
> evenings.
> I can't think what he means

Life is a series of compromises, it's all a matter of what's important to
you. :)

Dallas

"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

> Funny you should mention that particular monitor! It's the *very same
> model* I purchased last week at a local Staples store for $130 (on
> sale), and returned yesterday! :) Then, after a good deal more
> online reading and phone calls to people asking about this or that, I
> ordered the ViewSonic G90FB monitor from newegg.com.
> (snip)
>
> Melissa

In my view you really can't go wrong with a ViewSonic - here, for the past
three years I've been using a G810-2 (21"). Not a totally flat screen, but
is very sharp (still!) and has an excellent color gamut - color profiles are
available for download, etc.. Other than flight simming (of course), I use
the PC primarily for digital photo work. Keep us posted...

....larry

P.S.: not sure of the origination of your moniker "Lawn Dart", but presume
it has something to do with your landings on grass fields - has the new
computer system helped things any...? :)