2 Graphics Card Question.

onething1

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Dear Sirs and Maidens,
To be honest, I'm a noob when it comes down to hardware. So I have a question that might be easy for you guys to answer. Currently on my system I have an ATI HD 5670. I am wanting to upgrade to a GTX 560 to better enhance my BF3 gameplay. And then I remembered that some people that dual graphic cards. So my question is, does the two graphic cards have to be the same? Or can I just connect the GTX 560 along with my HD5670? Aside from that, any type of suggestions?

Here's me specs:

Studio XPS 9100
12 gb ram(free upgrade from dell)
i7 930 @ 2.80GHz
HD5670
Win 7 64X

I'd greatly appreciate your help!

No definitely not. Specially not nvidea with amd. With nvidea it has to be the same type, like only a 560 with a 560, with amd you can mix more cards together.

Question is ; does your motherboard supports two pciex16 slots and is your powersupply powerfull enough, bit afraid it won't.

Can you tell the rest of your system, it's probably a Dell but what type.

Also what resolution do you use.

onething1

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

Oh I see. Well because of my budget i'll only be able to purchase one graphics card right now. The reason i asked is because i was wondering what to do with my 5670 after i get the GTX 560. I just used Speccy, and here's some other information:
Im using a 1920 X1080 Res

Motherboard
Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 05DN3X (CPU 1)
Version 00
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model X58
Chipset Revision 13
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801JR (ICH10R)
Southbridge Revision 00
System Temperature 41 °C
BIOS
Brand Dell Computer Corporation
Version A02
Date 05/26/2010
Voltage
+12V 12.131 V
CPU CORE 1.524 V
VIN3 1.668 V
VIN4 1.212 V
+3.3V 2.308 V
VIN6 1.800 V
VIN7 1.656 V
VIN8 1.680 V
PCI Data
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI1
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width Unknown
Slot Designation PCIE2
Slot Number 1
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width Unknown
Slot Designation PCIE3
Slot Number 2
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width Unknown
Slot Designation PCIE4
Slot Number 3
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width Unknown
Slot Designation PCIE5
Slot Number 4
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width Unknown
Slot Designation PCIE6
Slot Number 5

onething1

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

Wow you're fast. Lol. So you think it'd be better to wait for next year's new series? I mean right now BF3 is still playable with the 5670, so I guess i could wait and save a bit.
BTW, I have friends from Holland too! I love dutch ppl.

For 1080p gaming, a Radeon HD 6950 or a GTX 560 Ti should do well. AMD's new 28nm GPUs are coming out next month. The high end might only release in January or so. You may either want to save up the money to buy a better card, or if you're a bit desperate, then you can go for a 6950.

Keyboard is smoking sometimes :lol:

If it's still playable i would wait. Next gen will be better. There is a interesting thread about that btw on Tom's, from malmental i believe. I think it's still on page one, maybe two.

I do love some Dutch people, the rest are nutcases. :pt1cable: Not me offcourse :whistle: Where do you friends live ?

onething1

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

Thanks for the input, I think i'll take your guys' suggestions and wait a bit to get a better card.

onething1

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

Thanks i'll take your suggestion to wait a bit longer. I know one of my friend lives in Katwijk aan Zee.

Ok then, that's quite some distance from Vlissingen. ( also by the sea btw ) Only maybe better delete that name if you can edit, there probably won't be that much < that name > in Katwijk and there are nutcases ( real ones ) out there, probably not needed and overworrying but still ; you never know what idiots read along.