[SOLVED] 2 monitors connected to GPU but want to run on iGPU

Sammm_5405

Commendable
Feb 4, 2020
I have a Ryzen 3200G with a MSI A320M A-Pro Max Motherboard, andI have only 1 hdmi output and a DVI output on the motherboard.
I need to connect 2 VGA monitors, and I already have one HDMI to VGA converter that I was using. So, one of the monitors is set.

There is a DVI-D port on my motherboard, and I also have a GT 710 lying around. So either I could purchase a VGA to DVI-D adapter and have no hassle, or I could attach my GT 710 just for the extra ports, and connect both the first VGA monitor and the second via the HDMI to VGA adapter. But the iGPU on my cpu is far better than the gt710.

So, is there any way to use the GT 710 just for the connections and then use the processing power of my iGPU?
Or do i just skip the hassle and buy a VGA to DVI-D convertor?

Feel free to share you opinions :)

Solution
On desktops, the physical connection determines what GPU is used. There is no way to use the integrated GPU with a discrete card.
You can definitely use the IGP and a dGPU and have stuff rendered on either one output on the other - I'm using my i5-11400's HD730 to render Chrome and Firefox to output on my GTX1050 so they don't hog all of the VRAM. I can also connect monitors to the IGP and then have games running on the GTX1050 output through the IGP.

Back before Nvidia officially endorsed AdaptiveSync, routing output through an IGP or 2nd GPU that supports AdaptiveSync/FreeSync was a trick that could be used to run AdaptiveSync with Nvidia cards.

Scenarios where having IGP+GPU available is desirable do exist. With Intel...

kanewolf

Titan
I have a Ryzen 3200G with a MSI A320M A-Pro Max Motherboard, andI have only 1 hdmi output and a DVI output on the motherboard.
I need to connect 2 VGA monitors, and I already have one hdmi to vga converter that I was using. So, one of the monitors is set.

There is a DVI-D port on my motherboard, and I also have a GT 710 lying around. So either I could purchase a VGA to DVI-D adapter and have no hassle, or I could attach my GT 710 just for the extra ports, and connect both the first VGA monitor and the second via the HDMI to VGA adapter. But the iGPU on my cpu is far better than the gt710.

So, is there any way to use the GT 710 just for the connections and then use the processing power of my iGPU?
Or do i just skip the hassle and buy a VGA to DVI-D convertor?

Feel free to share you opinions :)
On desktops, the physical connection determines what GPU is used. There is no way to use the integrated GPU with a discrete card.
VGA monitors are poor because of the multiple analog to digital conversions. Best answer is to get rid of VGA only monitors.

Sammm_5405

Commendable
Feb 4, 2020
VGA monitors are poor because of the multiple analog to digital conversions. Best answer is to get rid of VGA only monitors.
Im 16 and I got a hand-me-down PC. My old pc broke so I wanna use both my monitors. There is no chance of buying new monitors orGPUs... So the options I have is buying a VGA to DVI-D adapter to connect directly to motherboard, or use the inferior GT 710 and somehow manage to use the iGPU for processing

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Umm last I knew you could definitely use integrated and discrete gpu simultaneously, the discrete gpu is the Primary. Both will be listed in Device Manager under Display Adapters. The only reason for Primary is that's what gets Fullscreen, like with games. On some cpus, you can even run both together, the igpu supporting the dgpu with physX and/or tesselation.

Many ppl will generally disable the igpu in bios because it uses up resources like hardware reserved ram, usually around 2Gb.

Be careful of direction with the adapter. Polarity is vital. You need a DVI-D to VGA Active Adapter, NOT a VGA to DVI-D. Goes from source to output, it will not work backwards. Source is DVI-D since you have a VGA monitor.

Reactions: Shalou

Sammm_5405

Commendable
Feb 4, 2020
Umm last I knew you could definitely use integrated and discrete gpu simultaneously, the discrete gpu is the Primary. Both will be listed in Device Manager under Display Adapters. The only reason for Primary is that's what gets Fullscreen, like with games. On some cpus, you can even run both together, the igpu supporting the dgpu with physX and/or tesselation.

Many ppl will generally disable the igpu in bios because it uses up resources like hardware reserved ram, usually around 2Gb.

Be careful of direction with the adapter. Polarity is vital. You need a DVI-D to VGA Active Adapter, NOT a VGA to DVI-D. Goes from source to output, it will not work backwards. Source is DVI-D since you have a VGA monitor.
so the adapter that i linked will work or not?

InvalidError

Titan
You can definitely use the IGP and a dGPU and have stuff rendered on either one output on the other - I'm using my i5-11400's HD730 to render Chrome and Firefox to output on my GTX1050 so they don't hog all of the VRAM. I can also connect monitors to the IGP and then have games running on the GTX1050 output through the IGP.

Back before Nvidia officially endorsed AdaptiveSync, routing output through an IGP or 2nd GPU that supports AdaptiveSync/FreeSync was a trick that could be used to run AdaptiveSync with Nvidia cards.

Scenarios where having IGP+GPU available is desirable do exist. With Intel CPUs, QuickSync is another reason why some people may want to leave the IGP enabled for extra encode/decode engines.

Solution

Sammm_5405

Commendable
Feb 4, 2020

Scenarios where having IGP+GPU available is desirable do exist. With Intel CPUs, QuickSync is another reason why some people may want to leave the IGP enabled for extra encode/decode engines.
So in simple terms... is it possible with my GT 710 and AMD Ryzen 3 3200G?

If yes, can I contact you for any problems I face during the setup? I havent recieved the new PC yet, but im expecting it in a month or so

InvalidError

Titan
So in simple terms... is it possible with my GT 710 and AMD Ryzen 3 3200G?

If yes, can I contact you for any problems I face during the setup? I havent recieved the new PC yet, but im expecting it in a month or so
Most motherboards disable the IGP by default when a GPU is installed, so you will need to go in BIOS to find the setting telling the BIOS to leave the IGP enabled regardless of whether a GPU is available. On Intel boards, this is usually located in the "System Agent" config, no idea what the equivalent is on AMD.

Sammm_5405

Commendable
Feb 4, 2020
Most motherboards disable the IGP by default when a GPU is installed, so you will need to go in BIOS to find the setting telling the BIOS to leave the IGP enabled regardless of whether a GPU is available. On Intel boards, this is usually located in the "System Agent" config, no idea what the equivalent is on AMD.
Hopefully it is that easy and I dont need to dig deeper
Thanks!