Question 2 network cards, 1 pc, 1 network service

WhatLuck150

Prominent
Mar 19, 2022
I have a desktop, along with a spare network adapter from another system I'm not using, would it be possible to have both network cards on 1 pc, connected to the same network?
If so what advantages and disadvantages would I be looking at, and would it have a faster connection speed?

No way to do it with wifi.

If they were both ethernet there are methods of bonding ports but industry standard method of bonding ports does not increase the speed of a single session. It is not used much any more since it is simpler to just use 10gbit ports. It can be used in some case for a very fast fail over but it is more to allow the computer to be connected to 2 switches and allow you to say reboot a switch without causes a outage.

Pretty much it has no use in a home install. Most people only surf the internet with their network and most people do not even have gigabit internet service.

Now if you had some internal data storage network you could run the 2 cards on 2 different networks.

In any case if you do not already know the answer to this question then you do not have the skills to even think to use 2 cards. It is a very non standard thing to do.

WhatLuck150

Prominent
Mar 19, 2022
No way to do it with wifi.

If they were both ethernet there are methods of bonding ports but industry standard method of bonding ports does not increase the speed of a single session. It is not used much any more since it is simpler to just use 10gbit ports. It can be used in some case for a very fast fail over but it is more to allow the computer to be connected to 2 switches and allow you to say reboot a switch without causes a outage.

Pretty much it has no use in a home install. Most people only surf the internet with their network and most people do not even have gigabit internet service.

Now if you had some internal data storage network you could run the 2 cards on 2 different networks.

In any case if you do not already know the answer to this question then you do not have the skills to even think to use 2 cards. It is a very non standard thing to do.
Ok, thanks for answering the quick question, and yes you are correct, I don't have the skills to, but I at least would like to try and learn how to, if it was possible

You can go read about 802.3ad which is the industry standard port bonding that is supported by most switches.

The key thing which is buried deep in the details is the discussion of path selection and why the method which is based on what is called XOR does not actually balance.

This was mostly done in the old days when you had a server that talked to huge numbers of end clients all transferring small amounts of data. Because of the RNG all these small sessions would kinda balance.

Reactions: ex_bubblehead

TRENDING THREADS