[SOLVED] 2 New RX 5700 XT cards - system restarts, freezes (gpu to 0% usage) and meh FPS. Help.

thexyad

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
Upgraded my PC. Installed a new CPU, motherboard, RAM and GPU. Now, the GPU drops suddenly to 0% and my game freezes. Sometimes ALT-Tabbing fixes it and sometimes not. Lately, it goes all black and Windows restarts.

Computer Type: Desktop, custom.

GPU:
XFX - AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT RAW II 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card with Zero dB
- and also -
MSI - MECH OC AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600.

Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING.

RAM: 16GB (2x8). G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600). Slotted into A2 and B2.

PSU: A-Power AK 850W 20+4-pin ATX PSU w/SATA & PCI-Express

Case: NZXT, 2 front fans, 1 top fan, 1 back fan.

Operating System & Version: Windows 10

GPU Drivers: 20.4.2 and 20.5.1 (tried both)

Description of Original Problem:
I installed my AMD Ryzen 5 3600, a new motherboard (ASUS TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING) and the XFX AMD Radeon 5700 XT Raw II.
I was playing Kingdom Come Deliverance and it started freezing. My GPU was at 99%.
I didn't have any freezes on my previous system with a GeForce, so I know it's not the game.
Then I did 3DMark, the Time Spy benchmark. During the graphics test, it froze again. Again the GPU was at 99, it dropped at 0-1.
This is a fresh install of Windows. Radeon driver version 20.4.2. The freezes happened before and after GPU BIOS updates. They don't happen in the same spots.
Lately, it either drops to 0% or it full on goes black and Windows restarts.
I no longer can play KC:D. It crashes and restarts. :(

Troubleshooting:
  • Installed the newest drivers.
  • Used two different cables from PSU to bring power to the GPU (originally had one cable with both an 8pin and a 6pin) - no change.
  • Bought a different 5700 XT (the MSI) and tested it. The issues happen on both GPUs.
  • Reflashed BIOS and set it to default.
  • Reinstalled Windows
  • Reinstalled the games and benchmarks.
  • Disabled High Precision Event Timer (suggested on some forum)
Screenshots of two of the times it happened (different GPUs):
s0QHFiV.jpg

hJNmc7h.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
Very poor-quality PSU brand, so could well account for at least some of the issues you are having if not all of them.

Get it changed as soon as possible but avoid the cheap stuff. Choose Corsair, Seasonic or EVGA.

thexyad

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
So I reinstalled my old GTX 1060 6GB. No issues with this. No crashes no stutters. And even better FPS (only by 5 or so) I'm Kingdom Come Deliverance.

How is this possible!?

Is the PSU not strong enough for the 5700 XT but adequate for GTX 1060? Or are my 5700 XTs duds?

thexyad

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
UPDATE: Installed my old GTX 1060 6GB and no issues. Can run Kingdom Come Deliverance with similar if not more stable FPS... While 5700 XT was swinging between 29 to 75, the GTX stays at around 45-65...
I'd normally think it's a fault card but I did buy 2 5700 XTs to see and both are acting the same.

Does no one have a similar situation or any ideas how to fix it?

thexyad

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
First thing is to stop trying this with this dodgy, off-brand power supply. Passive power factor correction in 2020 with a $400 GPU! It would be unethical to assist you while you're using this because of the damage it could cause your GPU (or worse).

I mean, I'd change it if I could but literally the entire internet seems to be out of PC parts - no GPUs, no PSUs... I'm not going to buy at a 200% markup :-/ If I could find a decent 700W one I'd buy it asap.

But are we sure it's the PSU?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
As already said, that psu is a piece of junk. The letters 'CE' are further proof; they're too close together: https://www.ybw.com/vhf-marine-radi...en-the-ce-mark-and-the-china-export-mark-4607
It's a cheap, 'China Export' unit, that snaked it's way into the market illegally. It hasn't been officially tested, nor certified to be sold into said market.

In the UK, whoever sold this thing to you is also potentially in legal trouble - if you don't report it, that is.

Also, a GTX 1060 doesn't demand as much power as an RX 5700XT.

thexyad

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
Thank you for the replies!
The only PSU I can find that won't take over 2 weeks to ship over is this one.

Would this do? The PSU calculators are saying this is enough. It's EVGA but it's not Bronze, Silver, etc, so will this also be a piece of junk?

DSzymborski

Titan
A week for shipping... I guess I don't have much choice hah. I picked the worst time ever to upgrade the PC huh

Unfortunately, yes. A combination of poor supply chains, people working from home, and people spending stimulus checks has left the manufacturers in an odd position!

Once we have a safe PSU in there, then we can see if the other problem resolves and if not, troubleshoot that one. The one you have is frightening!

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

TRENDING THREADS