[SOLVED] 2 or 4 sticks on a MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI

Tabstract

Prominent
Nov 8, 2019
Would I do well to only fill two DIMM slots instead of all four on a MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI. I have 32gb of 3200 but am looking at 64gb @3600. I do not game anddo not plan on messing with OCing or doing much in the way of tweaking (maybe only XMP) as I hope that the FLCK and UCLK are the same, basically plug-and-play as is natively to avoid having to tweak it much (unless I really have to. The CPU is a Ryzen 9 3800x and I plan on either a RTX 3060 (ti if I can find a way to pay for it. OS will be Win10 or 11. I still have to read up on dual and quad rank (I don't know what these are yet or if it is something I will have to concern myself with.

Solution
If you want 64GB on your current platform, you should look into the same kit of ram as you are on now. If you want to go for DDR4-3600Mhz, don't mix and match with the prior kit. Instead buy a kit of 64GB DDR4-3600MHz. The latter will probably cost you more than finding the same kit as you're on now.

Also, make sure you're on the latest BIOS version prior to going for any ram or SSD upgrade.

Lutfij

Titan
If you want 64GB on your current platform, you should look into the same kit of ram as you are on now. If you want to go for DDR4-3600Mhz, don't mix and match with the prior kit. Instead buy a kit of 64GB DDR4-3600MHz. The latter will probably cost you more than finding the same kit as you're on now.

Also, make sure you're on the latest BIOS version prior to going for any ram or SSD upgrade.

Solution