bellmar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Has anyone used the new 2 way satellite system from StarBand/Dish Network/Echostar ? I haven't seen any writeups on this system yet . DirectTV/Hughes 2 way is supposed to be out by the end of the year. Since I live in the sticks this is the only hi-speed connect I may be able to use for the foreseeable future. Hopefully some of the computer geek sites will do a preview/review of these systems in the near future.

G

Hey,

Having quit Radio Shack a while back I knew what Dr. Pabst is reporting today. You have to buy a preassembled Compaq computer from Radio Shack. All together its a pretty hefty investment. The speeds are great, although I'd stick with either cable or dsl. If you live in the mountains or some very remote areas and don't mind throwing down a few thousand dollars maybe more then go for it. Check out Radio Shacks website or their store for more info, but read the fine print. From what I can remeber while working there, there is a lot of fine print.

Timothy Stankus
One of the First AMD Athlon Users =)

bellmar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I new about Radio Shack offering it, but that is the last place I would buy one considering the prices that Radio Shack charges for their products. :) Echostar/DishNetwork is offering them without having to buy a PC (sic) .I don't plan on making a purchase untill I see what DTV/Hughes will be offering. I use Direct TV now since I cannot get cable or DSL out here in Mayberry RFD land .:) There are some high priced options out there all ready but I'll wait for the consumer level products to come out . I just hope that the computer journalists do some evaluations on these new systems in the near future.

G

As far as The Starband goes if you buy a new PC from RadioShack and go through MSN it is $60/month. If you buy the system from a Dish reseller then it is $70/month.