Question 2014 MacBook Pro corrupted graphics

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
I woke up my MacBook Pro and it hanged and after it caught up, I saw the section of the menu bar where the time was pink, corrupted and missing. Various icons in the menu bar were missing too.

This has never happened before, but I've seen this before with my Xbox and when that happened it was dead within the year. I've seen this sort of thing with various electronics, but only one wound up dead (my Xbox 360), one was replaced since it was under warranty and anything else doing something similar didn't die. A little concerned though, it could be a one time thing, but could my MacBook be planning on checking out? How would I know?

I ran the Apple Diagnostics tool at boot and it flagged the power adaptor (it wasn't connected) and nothing else.

Unrelated, but sometimes when I close my MacBook I hear a click from somewhere (maybe the hinge?). Not sure the cause. This MacBook has always had a spot that made noise, but it seems (or is at least possible) that when Apple replaced the battery mid-last year they fixed one noise and created another.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
So everything works except the screen looks weird? Hook up an external monitor see what it does. Have u opened it lately to do any kind of maintenance?

The only people to have opened this up are Apple last June/July. Arguably something isn't quite right with how they did it, but given that I really needed it to complete my masters I couldn't spare the time or money travelling up and down over it.