[SOLVED] 2060 (G-Sync Compatible) vs 5600XT (Freesync) with Freesync 144hz Monitor

GoldKingCobra

Honorable
Jun 2, 2015
I'm currently planning a new b450 build for high/ultra 1080p gaming.

I'm between the RTX 2060 and the RX 5600XT. I definitely lean more towards Nvidia as my pfp may hint and I like the evga ko aftermarket design.

I would normally just go for the 2060 but at this budget I'm going to be buying a freesync 144hz monitor. For that, does matching the gpu to the monitor give another pro for going AMD or would the G sync compatible feature do just as well?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Last edited:
There's one big hurdle to getting a GSync Compatible "certification. That's Nvidia's requirement that variable refresh rate be enabled out of the box. (and you probably have to pay Nvidia to get their blessing) Other than that, all 144Hz+ monitors should/could be GSync compatible.

GoldKingCobra

Honorable
Jun 2, 2015
There's one big hurdle to getting a GSync Compatible "certification. That's Nvidia's requirement that variable refresh rate be enabled out of the box. (and you probably have to pay Nvidia to get their blessing) Other than that, all 144Hz+ monitors should/could be GSync compatible.

Okay, that's good. I'm likely getting this MSI monitor.

I think I wasn't clear with my question. Is there a difference in quality between a traditional freesync monitor + amd gpu setup versus nvidia gpu + freesync monitor using uncertified gsync?

If you’re pushing out 100+ FPS I don’t see the need for Freesync & G-Sync anyway. I have a Freesync with G-Sync certification 1440p 144Hz and try to average 120+ FPS by tweaking settings. Anyway I have G-Sync switched off, I don’t see any tearing and notice slightly the reduced lag compared to G-Sync on.

For gpu I’d go NVidia, just too many driver issues being reported with the AMD option.

GoldKingCobra

Honorable
Jun 2, 2015
If you’re pushing out 100+ FPS I don’t see the need for Freesync & G-Sync anyway. I have a Freesync with G-Sync certification 1440p 144Hz and try to average 120+ FPS by tweaking settings. Anyway I have G-Sync switched off, I don’t see any tearing and notice slightly the reduced lag compared to G-Sync on.

For gpu I’d go NVidia, just too many driver issues being reported with the AMD option.

I heard of the driver issues but I also heard that they're now largely solved. What's consumer sentiment with newer drivers?

TBH i don't think any "Gsync certified monitor" charge anything extra to get those certification. for majority of them they are based on Adaptive sync monitors that already available on the market. so far we did not see those monitors end up having increased in price once they officially being ceetified as Gsync compatible by nvidia. Freesync becoming one strong point of having AMD GPU so nvidia decided to eliminate that advantage. it is the cost nvidia wiling to take if that's give them better benefit for the long term.

Correct. There's no official royalties that go to Nvidia (like there was per unit with actual GSync) for their GSync Compatible certification. No doubt that it does cost SOMETHING to engage Nvidia's "certification team" to certify your product though. However, I'd imagine most monitor manufacturers would see that certification as a cost that's worth the benefit.

Correct. There's no official royalties that go to Nvidia (like there was per unit with actual GSync) for their GSync Compatible certification. No doubt that it does cost SOMETHING to engage Nvidia's "certification team" to certify your product though. However, I'd imagine most monitor manufacturers would see that certification as a cost that's worth the benefit.

In reality any kind of "true certification" should cost money. Just that AMD initial freesync certification is very lenient (more like as long as the monitor support some sort of VRR then monitor maker can slap freesync sticker on it). there was even a monitor get freesync badge for having mere 4hz VRR range (56hz to 60hz). AMD for the most part just handle the driver part. Hence once first batch adaptive sync monitors being roll out to the market there was various issues being reported. All this thing eventually being sort out but this is when AMD realize that like it or not much strict certification should be impose on Freesync so it would not tarnish the branding further. And this will definitely going to cost money. Hence with Freesync 2 AMD initially intend to charge royalties for it but doing so will go against why they call the tech as "Free"sync to begin with. this has been discussed in long article by anandtech. In the end monitor with Freesync 2 certification still end up being expensive.

Mar 27, 2020
I was actually in the exact same situation as you. I have an AOC Monitor 144hz 27 inches curved 1440p. I originally had a 5600xt that I bought in April. Turned out it was defective as it gave me random shutdowns. I now have the EVGA KO Ultra and I haven't noticed any difference in terms of smoothness of gameplay or anything. I don't know if my monitor is Gsync compatible but like I said, I haven't noticed any issues or stuttering. I would recommend 2060 due to the issues the 5600xt has, you may get a fine card but if you are already leaning towards 2060, I say go for it. Hope that helps!

TRENDING THREADS