Question 2080 Super causing computer to only receive power for around 3 seconds then shutting off

Jul 31, 2024
I recently bought a used evga 2080 Super and when i went to install it the pcs motherboard lit up for around 3 seconds then shut off. There was a slight burning smell from the card and i was wondering if this was a fixable problem. Also whenever i switch back to my old gpu everything works just fine.

I have a corsair 650m psu, a asus rog strix b450 motherboard, a ryzen 5 2600, and 16gb of ram.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have a corsair 650m psu
Corsair is the brand of the unit while 650W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of your unit? How old is the unit in question?

There was a slight burning smell from the card and i was wondering if this was a fixable problem.
You might want to inspect the area of the GPU from which the smell is coming from.

Jul 31, 2024
It’s a Corsair
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have a corsair 650m psu
Corsair is the brand of the unit while 650W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of your unit? How old is the unit in question?

There was a slight burning smell from the card and i was wondering if this was a fixable problem.
You might want to inspect the area of the GPU from which the smell is coming from.
cx650m and is probably 6 years old. However I tried turning on the pc while the gpus power plugs were not plugged in and it was just in the PCIe slot and it still would not.

I’m inspecting the gpu and cleaning it rn.

Thanks for the help