[SOLVED] 2080 Super to 3080 PCI Express

Sep 5, 2020
I will be doing my first GPU upgrade, and noticed the 3080 will use 2x 6 PCI pins.
  1. If possible, are there adapters to go from my 2080 super 6pin & 8 pin to 2x 6 pin PCI Express? Would I need to replace the entire connector?
  2. Will I have to change anything on the PSU side?
  3. Should I upgrade my PSU for the 3080? My cpu is a 3950x with 32Gb 3200 ram. Currently the PSU is 850W.

Solution
Hahah okay so it is the garbage, all good.

My other question was given the cpu/gpu upgrade/current ram, will 850psu be enough? (the 3950xis overclocked to 4.38ghz all core with custom cooling)
No it’s not garbage, it could have been a lot worse. Your psu is plenty for that setup. NVidia recommend 750w when running a 10900k and that’s a far more power hungry cpu.

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
All reference RTX 30 cards with the 12 pin connector will come with an adapter so you can use your current power supply. All the board partner cards I have seen so far still use 6 and 8 pin connectors in different combinations depending on the card.

Reactions: xfngx
Exact PSU: 850W Corsair / EVGA / Thermaltake (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11dxZ1qMKqtf_dZ8nFeDdBR5zd5nn5HHd/view?usp=sharing
That’s 3 different brands who each sell many models ranging from garbage quality to top end quality. What’s the exact make and model?

That cable looks like a custom cable/extension. A normal pcie power plug is 6+2 pins, a custom cable doesn’t have to be to prevent spare cables floating around and looking untidy. Do you have the original cables or can you remove the extensions if applicable?

Sep 5, 2020
That’s 3 different brands who each sell many models ranging from garbage quality to top end quality. What’s the exact make and model?

That cable looks like a custom cable/extension. A normal pcie power plug is 6+2 pins, a custom cable doesn’t have to be to prevent spare cables floating around and looking untidy. Do you have the original cables or can you remove the extensions if applicable?

1. It's the thermaltake 80 plus gold Model: TTP-850AH3FCG ( is this the garbage quality?)

2. Yes I am able to remove the extensions, but I don't believe I have the originals

1. It's the thermaltake 80 plus gold Model: ( is this the garbage quality?) TTP-850AH3FCG

2. Yes I am able to remove the extensions, but I don't believe I have the originals
Not terrible quality but wouldn’t be my first or second choice. If you don’t have the original cable try contacting Thermaltake or local supplier to see if you can buy a set or look for a new custom set. The original cable set had 6 x 6+2 connectors https://www.thermaltake.com/toughpower-gf1-850w-tt-premium-edition.html

Sep 5, 2020
Not terrible quality but wouldn’t be my first or second choice. If you don’t have the original cable try contacting Thermaltake or local supplier to see if you can buy a set or look for a new custom set. The original cable set had 6 x 6+2 connectors https://www.thermaltake.com/toughpower-gf1-850w-tt-premium-edition.html

My other question was given the cpu/gpu upgrade/current ram, will 850psu be enough? (the 3950xis overclocked to 4.38ghz all core with custom cooling)

No it’s not garbage, it could have been a lot worse. Your psu is plenty for that setup. NVidia recommend 750w when running a 10900k and that’s a far more power hungry cpu.

Reactions: xfngx
Solution