[SOLVED] 2080TI with Good Specs But Under performing in Games

Apr 3, 2020
I've had a 2080TI since it launched but my games fps has been incredibly inconsistent and typically under performing comparing to the expected results. The latest example is I was trying to play the new Resident Evil 3 Remake last night in 4k and I didn't even have all the settings maxed and I wasn't even hitting 30fps. I'm using MSI Afterburner to overclock the gpu using OC Scanner and have power settings to 100% and I have an i9-9900k cpu and 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM. The CPU and RAM are also overclocked a bit. Also with some games I will play and I get very high fps but other times I play the same game without changing the settings the fps is about half of what it was before. Sometimes I play GTA V in max 4k and I get 90fps and sometimes I'll play it and get 50fps. I have my power settings set to Max and I'm not sure what else I'm missing. I also have two PCIe cables plugged into the GPU.

I have my monitor's refresh rate set to 98hz to utilize the 10bpc and I won't get above 98fps in most games when set to 4k ultra.

Specs:
Gigabyte 2080ti
Intel i9-9900k
16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz RAM
Asus Prime Z390-A Motherboard
EVGA 750W PSU
1TB Samsung SSD
Monitor: Asus Rog Swift PG27UQ 4k 144hz

UserBenchmark Results: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/26184028

Last edited:
Solution
I do not know whats happening but you could try checking your temps on the games to see if there not going really high and go on MSI afterburner and speed up GPU fans!. Also just to let you know that am getting 60-100 FPS on 4k at 144hz and to be honest cant really tell the diffrence my game is running without lag and no input lag and running smooth!. I would also check some youtube vids on how to inprove fps but I do think that playing on 4k mointor is great colourful and our system have to work abit harder then the normal 2k to 1080P monitors so maybe that why we get little bit less fps!. But if anyone eles on these forums can help you with fps it would be good to read it!

Anyway have you got your g sync on maybe you could try...
Apr 3, 2020
Update: I got rid of OC Scanner and set a core clock speed to 450 Mhz and this was my benchmark result https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/26185307 . Is OC Scanner that bad? What is an ideal core clock speed and memory clock speed? I know it can change from game to game but what is probably ideal to where I won't have to change it all the time? I play quite a few different games so I don't want to have to adjust it every time I play a different game.

I do not know whats happening but you could try checking your temps on the games to see if there not going really high and go on MSI afterburner and speed up GPU fans!. Also just to let you know that am getting 60-100 FPS on 4k at 144hz and to be honest cant really tell the diffrence my game is running without lag and no input lag and running smooth!. I would also check some youtube vids on how to inprove fps but I do think that playing on 4k mointor is great colourful and our system have to work abit harder then the normal 2k to 1080P monitors so maybe that why we get little bit less fps!. But if anyone eles on these forums can help you with fps it would be good to read it!

Anyway have you got your g sync on maybe you could try turning it off and see if that helps ?

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 3, 2020

Anyway have you got your g sync on maybe you could try turning it off and see if that helps ?
I think at this point I've determined that it was MSI Afterburner OC Scanner that was causing my gpu to underperform. I've set the core clock speed to 450 Mhz now and the performance in RE3 was far better. I'm now getting around 90-100fps in 4k Max. At this point, I'm curious as to what would be an ideal core clock and memory clock speed.

I think at this point I've determined that it was MSI Afterburner OC Scanner that was causing my gpu to underperform. I've set the core clock speed to 450 Mhz now and the performance in RE3 was far better. I'm now getting around 90-100fps in 4k Max. At this point, I'm curious as to what would be an ideal core clock and memory clock speed.

I getting 90-100 FPS got the same CPU And Both Got 2080ti And 4k Monitor but trying to get my CPU to reach 5ghz now