omfgnoogies

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Whats the best possible 24" widescreen monitor that i can get from the $300-$450 range that will do well gaming as well as watching movies, browsing the internet, and writing papers?

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Great monitor, over priced :/... I have an Acer 23" H233Hbid it looks ALMOST as good as the Ultrasharp 2408 (at my school the tech support has 2 of them). THe Ultrasharp does have a bit more sharpness, and bit better contrast but not enough to warrant a $200 price difference.

That Acer is a TN panel, which is not even remotely comparable for color, accuracy, or general image quality. There is a vast difference in image quality between the two, and the Ultrasharp definitely has the lead. It is well worth the money IMHO (although I'd be tempted to get the U2410 instead if I were buying a monitor now - it's an even better panel than the Ultrasharp, though not by enough of a margin to make me replace my current Ultrasharp 2408")

omfgnoogies

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
i found some of them for 400 on amazon.com
but im terrified if dead pixels. Cause if i get one from one of the minor sellers at amazon and its got 5 dead pixels, im *** out of luck. Is my fear unwarranted? how often does this happen?

I honestly have no idea. Mine didn't have any, but I did get it straight from Dell.

If you can't wait for a sale, there are several good choices. They are TN, and won't look as good, but they will still be excellent monitors for general use. The Dell S2409W is a good choice, and I've heard good things about Samsung monitors.

It's fast enough. Actually (completely subjectively), my 2408WFP looks faster as far as response time is concerned than my SP2209W (a "2ms" monitor), and it blows it away in image quality. I would say it's definitely worth buying at that price.