Question 240 hz monitor only showing 144hz?

May 26, 2020
Hi everyone. A while ago, I purchased the Alienware Aw2518h, a good 240 hz monitor that I would strongly recommend. I started using it on my old PC with 240hz and had no issues, however when I plug it into my new one, I have problems with refresh rate. When I go to my display settings, the most it'll let me set the refresh rate to is 144hz and if I go to Nvidia control panel > change resolution > change refresh rate, it will still only show that the max I can set it to is 144. I have the most recent Nvidia driver and my graphics card is a 2080 ti. I understand that there isn't a huge difference between 240 and 144 hz, but I would like to get the most performance out of my monitor. I've read a few other articles and still can't find a fix to this. Could it be my display cable? Do I have the on-board monitor settings wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, and have a good day.

EDIT : Sorry, nothing to see here. I don't know why, but plugging the cable unplugging the DP cable and plugging it back in actually let me access 240 hz. Thank you for your help :)

Last edited: