2tb Seagate go flex FA external not showing up in my computer

fauzan_22

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2013
Hi everyone,
One of my friends friend lend his external hdd to someone but when he got it back it wasn't working anymore so I got it from him to see whats the matter and I plugged it in,it took some time to install and after it gave the "your device is now ready to use" sign then I went to my computer but it wasn't showing up over there.In the device property it was showing that the device is working properly.When I go under Disk management it gives the initialize disk option and asks me to choose from 2 options which are the mbr and gpt no matter which option I choose I get the error "the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" the external hdd shows under unallocated space with a red arrow mark.
Right now I really can't think of anything else to do.
So please if anyone can help me out with if the external hdd can be put back in working condition with the data intact then it will be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

External hard drives have a SATA-to-USB bridge chip inside the enclosure. which is attached to the actual hard drive. This chip often fails causing a communication error (I/O error), but the actual hard drive is usually quite healthy.

The remedy is to remove the hard drive from the enclosure, detach the bridge chip, then put the drive into a third-party enclosure or install it internally into a PC.

fauzan_22

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2013
All right I removed the hard disk out of its enclosure and connected it internally but its still not showing up and it also beeps a few times when I switch on the pc.
Does the beeping means that its something serious?
please let me know if it can be fixed.thanks.

It sounds like the drive has a physical problem, probably internal.

You could try removing the HDD PCB (with a Torx 6 screwdriver) and powering it up on its own. If it identifies itself to BIOS with its factory alias (eg ST_M13FQBL), then this would suggest that the PCB is OK.

fauzan_22

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2013
Sorry everyone for forgetting about this thread,well it turned out that the head got damaged and recovery center guys were asking for quite a laughable amount to recover the data so my friend to whom the hard disk belonged decided to let it go as their were no other options.Again thanks a lot to every single one of you for your contribution.

TRENDING THREADS