quantumdawn

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
I have an asus p8p67 pro motherboard and a gelid tranquillo CPU cooler. Currently running with 2x2gb dual channel kit.

I bought a 2x4gb dual channel kit to add to the system, for a total of 12gb. Problem is, the fan attached to the CPU cooler blocks the 4th ram slot.

That leaves me with only the 2x4gb installed, and two spare sticks of 2gb lying around unused. Will adding a single 2gb stick of ram increase or decrease system performance since it won't be installed in dual-channel?

Solution
Hmm... move the 'Fan' UP. Heck, I'd grind-off a fin or two off the HSF if I had to to make it all fit, and it wouldn't make a difference. A HSF is very low on my totem pole in comparison to my RAM.

The difference in non-Dual Channel with DDR3 is minimal to Dual Channel.
Hmm... move the 'Fan' UP. Heck, I'd grind-off a fin or two off the HSF if I had to to make it all fit, and it wouldn't make a difference. A HSF is very low on my totem pole in comparison to my RAM.

The difference in non-Dual Channel with DDR3 is minimal to Dual Channel.

Solution

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Running a single DIMM on some motherboards can disable dual channel completely - so the 2 x 4GB might stop operating in dual channel, and that wouldn't be ideal.

I'd try moving the fan as jaquith suggests, or running with just the 2 x 4GB. Use the 2 x 2GB as an excuse to build another PC :)

As I said, you are NOT running Dual Channel with '3' sticks; odd number or unequal size/channel breaks Dual Channel -> "The difference in non-Dual Channel with DDR3 is minimal to Dual Channel"

Q - What's the problem not to raising the fan...?