3.0Ghz cpu running at 2.0 Ghz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

Hello,
I have been facing a problem with my P4 cpu.I have a P4 3.0E Ghz with 1Mb L2 Cache and 800Mhz FSB with stepping 4 and revision D0.But when I checked using intel processor identification tool and cpu-z it says the cpu is working at 1.99-2.0Ghz and 532-533FSB while it should be running at 3.0/800.The motherboard is a China made motherboard ZX-945-15 with intel 915 chipset and revision B1.It has AMI bios.The board also supports667MHZ dual channel DDR2 ram.But Cpu-z is showing the channel as single.Even the ram works at Dram freq of 200mhz and FSB: DRAM of 2:3.The DDR2 ram I'm using is OCZ Platinum dual channel kit rated at 800Mhz and can be overclocked further.When booting the Bios identifies the cpu properly and 3.0ghz but when testing with the softwares it shows 3.0 ghz working at 2.0ghz.What might be the problem.Thanks

Specs
Cpu- P4 3.0E Ghz 800mb Fsb 1 mb L2 cache stepping 4 rev D0 Socket 478
Motherboard- ZX-945-15
Ram- Ocz platinum rev 2, 2Gb dual channel kit
Powersupply- Corsair Tx650

Then your problem is motherboard be it bios or just a hardware malfunction its the only thing it can be. I didn't read the whole thread so I dont know if this is a fresh install of windows but even that should have no affect on the CPU speed.

Something somewhere is limiting the bus speed to 533mhz just because it can read the info off the CPU to tell it what it is doesn't mean the motherboard supports it. Are you absolutely sure that your motherboard supports that CPU because I remember when the PGA478 P4EE came out only certain motherboards were able to run them.

Other then having the latest bios or get a new motherboard there is absolutely nadda that can be done. My suggestion is deal with it save about $200 and get a cheap AMD system that you can use your DDR2 RAM in and will run circles around that beat up old and tired P4.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
It might just be that your motherboard doesn't officially support and couldn't work at 800MHz FSB. You might just probably be lucky that it ran at all, and it seems that it is a dead-end.

(Fixed)
Multiplier * FSB = Clockspeed
15 * 200MHz = 3000MHz << What you want
15 * 133MHz = 2000MHz << What you have

You need to change the FSB, but since you can't do that, it is a dead-end.

jarpickle

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
This isnt an EE just a normal p4 3.0EGhz processor.The manual does say it supports 800Mhz Fsb.Is there any was I can update the bios.Tried searching for the manufacturer website, but no luck.Other than what you've suggested is there any other option

Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott 3.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478 89W Single-Core Processor

This was considered an extreme procssor when it came out the normal P4 for the PGA 478 only usually ha 512KB of L2 cache. Also the 3.0E went to 90nm from 130nm of the original P4 and has Hyper Threading you have to be missing a bios update a jumper something this is total hardware problem most likely bios problem.

In CPU-Z or Task manager is it showing two threads?

You have some china no name motherboard with no other info on it most likely you cant change the FSB on that board. Secondly you need a bios that will have the support for that processor. Third if it did have a setting for it i is somewhere in the bios you have to look thru every menu if its not there guess what you are SOL sorry.

I dont mean to be mean but you are dealing with hardware that is almost 7 years old that is like 100 in human years you will not find the support you need for that board anywhere because of the age of the hardware. You are beating a dead horse and its dead as a door nail sorry.

jarpickle

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Tried changing the jumpers(FSA,FSB,FSC) as indicated on the motherboard for 800Mhz,but instead it has scaled down to 400Mhz.Now my clock is down to 1.5Ghz and theres no way to even take it to 2Ghz.The motherboard supports 667 Mhz ram, so my current ram(800Mhz)is running at slower speeds.Is there anyway that the ram is causing the FSB to come down.I can manually set it to 533 or 400Mhz.I have posted all the finding from Cpu-z above.Please take a look.The current reading is
Core sped : 1500Mhz(fluctuating 1500.0-1500.2Mhz)
Clock multiplier : 15x
Bus speed : 100hz
Rated Fsb : 400Mhz

Dram Freq : 200Mhz
Fsb: Dram : 1:2
Cas# Latency(CL) : 4.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay(tRCD) : 4 clocks
RAS# Precharge(tRP) : 4 clocks
Cycle Time(tRAS) : 10 clocks

Also My Pcie x16 is running at x4.Are there any settings that may be causing this.There is a jumper near my x16 slot that says lan_en.Its cuurently at disable mode.I have no problems with my lan port right now so is this connected to the Pcie x16 slot and causing it to go slower.

Appreciate all the help everyone.

ic36reak3r

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
hi ,

i have the same problem...bought a chinese 945g chipset..my proc is a P4 3 GHZ HT 1mb L2 cache...the problem is tht it shows 1500 mhz in xp and linux..the bios shows 800 mhz fsb..bu still it is performing at 1500 mhz!! when i was going through the motherboard resources i found at their site that there was no reference to prescott processor...northwood and williamette are trully supported...but i doubt a prescott ht...i am going through the same hell....