skweegi

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Hello,

As a first time computer builder, I need some help deciphering a 3 Long-Beep POST code I'm getting when I turn on my franken-build.

Video of the 3 Long Beep Sequence
http://youtu.be/ICkvJGZtUAo

Please note the pause after the 3 Long Beeps before repeating the 3 Long Beeps, this is NOT a continuous long beep sequence (if that matters).

It was suggested to me by someone more experienced than I that this was a video card issue. I tried the video card in all 3 available slots, I tried removing it entirely, and tried a Gigabyte 6450 video card. All of which resulted in the same 3 Long-Beeps.

Specs:
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black CPU
OCZ Agility 3 120gb SSD
16gb (4x4gb) Corsair XMS3 RAM
OCZ ModXstream-Pro 700W Modular Power Supply

#1 Galaxy Geforce GT 520 (1gb DDR3)
#2 GV-R645OC-1GI AMD Radeon HD 6450 1024MB DDR3 PCIe 2.1 x16

ThermalTake V9 Black
ThermalTake SpinQ VT CPU cooler
Saitek Cyborg Keyboard
Razer Tron Mouse
EMachines 19” LCD (VGA plug)

I can't seem to find any solid information on this particular 3 Long Beep Trouble code.

jsanthara

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
I believe that board uses Award BIOS, which means that 3 long beeps most likely indicates a memory problem.

I would check to see if the modules are properly seated. If they are I would see if you could try the modules in another system to see if they are functional, or try a different set of modules (preferably ones that are known to be functional) with the Gigabyte board.

skweegi

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Thanks, I'll try that next.
Do you know where I can find an official published list of Award BIOS codes? I can't seem to find any official documentation.

jsanthara

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
I'm not sure about about an official list; most lists for Award that I've found in the past are very short.

I have an old dell with Award BIOS and in the past I've gotten 2 or 3 long beeps (I can't recall which) and it was a memory problem, so I suggested you start there.

Did you try testing the memory yet?

skweegi

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I will try them tonight.

I originally tried to embed the youtube video of this happening, but it didn't take. Here it is posted as a link:
http://youtu.be/ICkvJGZtUAo

I've had the video card suggested a few times because the info out there indicates that a continuous long beep means video card. This is NOT a continuous beeping, it's three 3 long beep, pause, 3 long beep, etc.

There doesn't seem to be much of any info on that particular sequence.

I'll definitely home in on the memory modules and the peripherals and clearing the cmos.

Thank you all.

The video is good and gives a clear indication that something is wrong , unfortunatly there are no three long beep codes listed except for the IBM bios which says that it is the keyboard. I guess that you have to give that a try and see if by some chance it is the keyboard.

skweegi

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Well, the correct answer was: A bad bit of Corsair RAM.

Odd, because the 3 long beep is just not listed anywhere and it's certainly not supposed to be the code for bad RAM.

Thank you's to each one of you for the suggestions and help. I'm sure I'll be back here soon, because....let's face it....I have no idea what I'm doing.

Hopefully, some day I'll be on the other end of the equation helping out someone else.

Thank You again.

minsley

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
I had this same problem with my Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3. I'd get 3 long beeps, repeating. It was the ram in my case too, although not the ram sticks themselves. Turns out 2 of my sockets are bad.

TRENDING THREADS