teddysurf

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
So I’m having 3 issues with my new 7900 GRE so if anybody has any insight, I would appreciate it.

Issue 1. If I plug my second monitor into the integrated graphics, port of the motherboard I cannot overclock my GPU? For the past week I’ve been tearing my hair out, trying to figure out why I can’t overclock my GPU at all, as when I do, I get freezers and gray screens. But here’s the catch the freezers and grey screens would only happen when the computer was idling, and not during benchmarks or in games… In addition, when I turn the computer off, the screen will flash white very briefly. I finally plugged both monitors into the GPU and its now over clocks fine.

Issue 2. When I plugged both monitors into the new GPU, the idle wattage is between 70 and 80 Watts…. I did some research and apparently it’s because of the different refresh rates of each of the monitors as one monitor is 240 Hz and the other is 155 Hz. I made a custom profile and went through a bunch of different hz settings and the only one that worked was turning the second monitor to 60 Hz… which is not ideal. It now idles at like 30 W.

Issue 3. The memory temperature and memory Junction temperature idles at 70 to 75C. When in games, the memory temperature and memory Junction temperature never get above 93C and the GPU core itself never gets above 73C. It just seems that the memory and memory junction idle temperatures are really high for some reason, but maybe this is normal? The hotspot temperature idle is about 50C.

So if anyone has any advice, I’m all ears. Thanks.

MBD: Asus X670E-A
CPU: Ryzen 7900X cpu
GPU 7900 GRE
SSD: 2 x WD_SN850X
PSU: Corsair 850w
RAM: 32GB Gskill

Lutfij

Titan
1| I would disable the iGPU in the BIOS.
2| If you remove the second panel off your platform, it should bring down the idle clocks/power draw at idle/load.
3| GPU 7900 GRE
There are multiple AIB's out there, which 7900 GRE do you have?

Corsair is the brand of the unit while 850W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of the unit?

You forgot to mention the make and model of your case, the number of fans in said case and their orientation.

teddysurf

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
1| I would disable the iGPU in the BIOS.
2| If you remove the second panel off your platform, it should bring down the idle clocks/power draw at idle/load.
3| GPU 7900 GRE
There are multiple AIB's out there, which 7900 GRE do you have?

Corsair is the brand of the unit while 850W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of the unit?

You forgot to mention the make and model of your case, the number of fans in said case and their orientation.
So first, thank you for the reply and the tips. Here’s the info you asked for.

The GPU is the Sapphire 7900 GRE Pure.

Corsair RM850x Shift psu. (I really don’t think the problems that PSU, I went so far as to buy a very cheap tester for the PSU and everything is at least getting the proper voltage, though I have no way of testing it under load)

The case is the NZXT H510 Flow that I modified the radiator to be a push pull configuration so more air would make it through the radiator into the case. There are 4 140mm fans pushing and pulling through the radiator and 2 140mm exhaust fans. The AIO is a deepcool castle 180EX… I think that’s what it’s called.

That’s a good tip turning off the IGPU in the bios, however, ideally I would prefer to run the second monitor off the integrated graphics. I know it’s only like a 1 frame hit to the GPU in games but I have integrated graphics on the cpu thats not doing anything so why not using it? Other than it’s tanking my overclock…

If I remove the second monitor, there is no noticeable change in the idle wattage or temperature on the GPU. That is, there is no change when the GPU is set to 60 Hz. If there is a change, it’s not noticeable.