Question 3080 beeping noise on start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Souzou

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
I have been trying all day to solve this mistery.

As soon as I connect the card, the computer does 4 short beeps then proceeds to load as usual. It works fine, no crashes, no poor performance, temps are fine, everything seems fine. It's just the 4 beeps that annoy/worry me.

I have a 7700k 16GB RAM, 2 SSD and 3 old HDD plus the card on a Corsair RM650x and I use two separate PCIE 8pin cables for the gpu. I know, it must be the PSU right? They recommend 750W. The thing is it still happens with a 850W PSU.

The beep code from Gigabyte (my mobo ga-z270-hd3p) say "4 short beep :Real Time Clock malfunction " which makes no sense (clock in BIOS is fine). Everything seems fine on the BIOS. I have tried resetting it and as soon as I remove the card the beeping goes away.

So far I've tried:

Reset BIOS.
Resettling the RAM.
Changing PCIE cables.
Another PSU (850w).
Resettling GPU.

I was thinking it might have something to do with my mobo being gen 3 PCiE instead of gen 4? As if my mobo didn't fully recognize it or was warning me about it.

As I said the card works fine and there's 0 issues playing games or whatever. I just want to solve the mistery and know if I have to consider getting a replacement.

Could it be that your new GPU is overclocking itsself so try go on bios and see if you can disable OC and see if it gose away. Or it could be bad ram and bad motherboard issues. Do not RMA or refund it because it could not be the GPU go to store or an friend and test the GPU if it beeps and dose same then RMA it

Last edited:

Souzou

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Uh-oh. Time for an RMA and a replacement. Hahaha.

In all seriousness tho, good luck man.

Thank you man. I'll obviously wait since I have like two weeks to decide and I was lucky enough to get one, the replacement could probably take a month I'm assuming.

Could it be that your new GPU is overclocking itsself so try go on bios and see if you can disable OC and see if it gose away. Or it could be bad ram and bad motherboard issues. Do not RMA or refund it because it could not be the GPU go to store or an friend and test the GPU if it beeps and dose same then RMA it

I'll check the BIOS again. I doubt it's the mobo or ram because as soon as I plug my older one (2070S) the beeping stops. But I bought some RAM that's supposed to get here today so I can test it.

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
I'll check the BIOS again. I doubt it's the mobo or ram because as soon as I plug my older one (2070S) the beeping stops. But I bought some RAM that's supposed to get here today so I can test it.
Don't get stuck on that the GPU is out for a few days now, bugs and glitches can and will happen in the beginning. Plug your card in and go straight to Bios, check your CPU OC settings since it could be that it enables some sort of OC profile for whatever reason. Restart. Check if your saved settings are still the same. Restart. Beeping still appears? try manually setting the clock speed for your CPU. You can reset the Bios but if you are using some sort of software like MSI afterburner or something it could be that it overwrites your settings. Try disableling that and as usual. Restart. Hope your problem gets solved

Souzou

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Don't get stuck on that the GPU is out for a few days now, bugs and glitches can and will happen in the beginning. Plug your card in and go straight to Bios, check your CPU OC settings since it could be that it enables some sort of OC profile for whatever reason. Restart. Check if your saved settings are still the same. Restart. Beeping still appears? try manually setting the clock speed for your CPU. You can reset the Bios but if you are using some sort of software like MSI afterburner or something it could be that it overwrites your settings. Try disableling that and as usual. Restart. Hope your problem gets solved

Did what you said, nothing changed. Also removed all of my HDDs to further reduce power consumption just to see if it made any difference, no surprise it didn't.

Crowii

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
Absolutely sure it isn't 1 long beep and 3 short beeps which is, according to Gigabyte's website at least: ''Graphic card error 1 long beep and 3 short beep ''?

Just from Google to hit another forum, seems like the instant power draw might be too much for some PSUs (they can supply the quantity of power, but they aren't stabilized fast enough on power on). This could have your card spitting out a quick error. I'm not sure if this is reputable info or not and I was not directed to any cold hard data to prove it. For all I know this can still just be a faulty card producing this.

If you have a known good multi-rail PSU within spec, try splitting rails.

Last edited:

Souzou

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Absolutely sure it isn't 1 long beep and 3 short beeps which is, according to Gigabyte's website at least: ''Graphic card error 1 long beep and 3 short beep ''?

Just from Google to hit another forum, seems like the instant power draw might be too much for some PSUs (they can supply the quantity of power, but they aren't stabilized fast enough on power on). This could have your card spitting out a quick error. I'm not sure if this is reputable info or not and I was not directed to any cold hard data to prove it. For all I know this can still just be a faulty card producing this.

If you have a known good multi-rail PSU within spec, try splitting rails.

It's 4 short beeps then the usual 1 that always does (I don't know if you're supposed to count that as 4 short 1 longer one). My PSU is a Corsair RMX Series RM650x 80 Plus Gold which I believed was a premium quality one. I'm using two separate cables.

I removed all the extra stuff like old HDDs and made no difference. The beeps are still there and there's no issues after that, played for some hours last night some Warzone, GTA5 and Apex without any issues.

Souzou

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Some new discoveries. Only the first displayport works correctly. The second one gives no image and the third one gives image but loses it as soon as I slightly touch the cable or move the PC. I had this never happen to me. So I'm assuming those are clear signs of a faulty card?

Sep 19, 2020
Thank god I'm hearing someone experiencing the exact same thing as me!

Absolutely perfect installation and performance, but still it beeps 4 times on start up for some reason! I've genuinely done every check under the sun. I'm convinced that it's just a bug cos the of the card being so new. I've contacted various knowledgeable friends too, and they all conquer that it just seems like a bug.

Honestly aside from the annoyance of the beeps, it's perfect. Very confusing. Good to know I'm not alone, makes me even more hopeful it's just a bug

i7-7700k
Asus Rog Strix 7270h

Souzou

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Thank god I'm hearing someone experiencing the exact same thing as me!

Absolutely perfect installation and performance, but still it beeps 4 times on start up for some reason! I've genuinely done every check under the sun. I'm convinced that it's just a bug cos the of the card being so new. I've contacted various knowledgeable friends too, and they all conquer that it just seems like a bug.

Honestly aside from the annoyance of the beeps, it's perfect. Very confusing. Good to know I'm not alone, makes me even more hopeful it's just a bug

i7-7700k
Asus Rog Strix 7270h
Hey man,

Have you tried the other display ports? Do they also behave weird like mines? Only one of them works completely fine.

Sep 19, 2020
Hey man,

Have you tried the other display ports? Do they also behave weird like mines? Only one of them works completely fine.

Interesting, no tbf. I get the display and everything fine, it's just the beeps. That being said when I was reseating the various components, I did boot it with no displays plugged in and it still did the beeps.

I'm seeing lots of people reporting this now actually, in the space of today, so hold out man I think this is proving to be a known thing not a hardware issue

Sep 19, 2020
hey guys i am another 3080 user from south korea
im sorry for my poor english
i just got my asus 3080 tuf and i also have exactly same issue.
i tried cleaning pcie slot, changing ram, update bios,
re install window10 and non of them worked
it is kind of relief that im not the only fault one.
I hope this problem will be solved soon :)

Souzou

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
hey guys i am another 3080 user from south korea
im sorry for my poor english
i just got my asus 3080 tuf and i also have exactly same issue.
i tried cleaning pcie slot, changing ram, update bios,
re install window10 and non of them worked
it is kind of relief that im not the only fault one.
I hope this problem will be solved soon :)
Welcome to the club man!

Are all of your displayports working properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS