[SOLVED] 3080TI shuts off monitors

Qelroy

Commendable
May 5, 2019
Hello everyone!

I'm hoping for some kind of help here at Tom's hardware, since I have been on the hunt for an answer to my problem for a while now, regardless, any help is highly appreciated!

My problem is my graphics card, and the graphics card i'm talking about is the following: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3080 Ti VISION OC

December last year, i purchased the following

Graphics Card: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3080 Ti VISION OC
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-P
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
New CPU cooler
5 x fans for the chassis, mainly to ensure a good heat control in the chassis

And now comes the actual problem.

When using my computer for daily use, there seems to be no issue at all with the 3080TI, but when gaming, after a few hours (2-XX?) it suddently shuts off my screens (2 monitors) and then the GPU goes at 100% fan speed, and it's REALLY loud, like my dog actually woke up from sleeping and jumped out of his bed due to the fan noises, so i'd assume they're loud.

I can still hear sound from the game i'm playing, or a YouTube video running in the background, but the only solution is to shut the PC off from the back of the PC, wait a few seconds and start again.

At first i thought it was heat, but after looking at the temperature in the PC, my GPU reaches 65-67C in total (and that is with 100% usage of the GPU) so i doubt it's a heat problem.

I've looked at some forums, and many actually claims it's a power issue, like the GPU isn't getting enough power from the PSU, and just to name my PSU, it's a
Corsair RM1000

Just to check it all out, i've swapped from my 3080TI to my old GeForce GTX 1070 Strix, and so far there has been zero issues that occours with the 3080TI.

Can anyone pin-point or see what's either missing here or might be wrong, because it's a shame that a 2200$ graphics card is laying in it's antistatic bag, while i'm using my 1070 because that works, and the other one seems to work 50% of the time, it's really frustrating for me :(

Thanks a bunch for reading this long text, and thank you to whoever reads and comments with their input!

Best regards,
Alex.

Solution
Have you used DDU to clean your drivers out from your old 1070?

Most of the time when there is a power issue it normally the screens will turn off then back on, or the computer will just reboot.

My 2080 Ti on a 750w PSU one of the screens would turn off and then back on during gaming, when hard gaming the computer would just reboot. Had a 1600w PSU laying around from an older build and swapped it in and havent had issues since.

YOu could try using evga precision x1 and limit the power % the card uses and see if that helps, since the cards auto boost themselves limiting the power will limit how much it will boost.

Lutfij

Titan
I've looked at some forums, and many actually claims it's a power issue, like the GPU isn't getting enough power from the PSU, and just to name my PSU, it's a
Corsair RM1000
Can happen with a faulty PSU. You might want to rule that doubt out by sourcing a reliably built PSU with at least 1KW or more power for the entire system's disposal and see if the issue is replicated.

Just to check it all out, i've swapped from my 3080TI to my old GeForce GTX 1070 Strix, and so far there has been zero issues that occours with the 3080TI.
The power draw for an RTX3080Ti is much higher than a GTX1070, so you're not exactly comparing an apple to an apple.

For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Qelroy

Commendable
May 5, 2019
Thank you so much for the reply Lutfij!

I am not 100% sure i understand with the 1K W part, should i get a 1200W PSU and see if it's the same problem?

And yes, you're right, the 3080TI is so much more than the 1070!

It seems like i am at 3603 on my BIOS, from 20-03-2021

Have you used DDU to clean your drivers out from your old 1070?

Most of the time when there is a power issue it normally the screens will turn off then back on, or the computer will just reboot.

My 2080 Ti on a 750w PSU one of the screens would turn off and then back on during gaming, when hard gaming the computer would just reboot. Had a 1600w PSU laying around from an older build and swapped it in and havent had issues since.

YOu could try using evga precision x1 and limit the power % the card uses and see if that helps, since the cards auto boost themselves limiting the power will limit how much it will boost.

Solution

Qelroy

Commendable
May 5, 2019
Hello faalin!

And thank you for the reply!

I have not used DDU to clean my drivers from the 1070 to the 3080TI, the time i have
shifted from old GPU to a new GPU, i just remove the drives from Windows and thats about it, but i could try and use DDU!

And i am really glad you got it with your 2080TI and could use it, because having this problem is really sad, and the thing is, both of my screen are going black, i can't get it to work or boost up again, i need to shut down my PC and start again :( and it might be too low with my 1000W then :O

I will see what "evga precision x1 " is, and is it hard for someone who is not that best with PC issue?

StanislavNew

Commendable
Jan 21, 2022
Hi, had similar issues, some helpfull info here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc.../405129/3080-random-crashes-and-black-screen/

I tried basically everythig three days ago and nothing helped. But afters few hours everything stabilized and didnt see the black screen again - now I backup my whole system and wish to dont appear anymore as it was really terrible, first screen shuts after about 1 hour, but last was about 15 minutes. Now i have latest 511.79, changed power sleep to newer, disabled usb power sleep, gsync and now all seems work - except wierd usage spikes (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/rtx-3080ti-wierd-usage-spikes.3753174/)