[SOLVED] 3200 Mhz RAM running at 2133 Mhz

InstinctivE52

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
So I had 1 stick of 8GB 2133 Mhz RAM. I bought 2x8 GB 3200Mhz RAM from GSKILL(TRIDENT Z) and installed them in dual channel. When i cheked cpu-z, the ram was running at 2133Mhz. How can I fix this? My motherboard is an asrock a320M pro4 and may cpu is a ryzen 1500x. Btw I checked my motherboard's max speed supported and it supports 3200Mhz. Thanks.

Edit: i could't install my RAM in A1 and B1 slots, because the cooler is blocking the a1 slot and i would have to remove the cooler . I installed the Ram sticks in a2 and b2. Does that make a difference?

Last edited:
Solution
Yes it is an outdated BIOS, which is fine, when you're not encountering an issue! But I understand your trepidation, especially if you are experiencing power cuts, if so, get someone else to do it who maybe has a UPS for example.

Due to the date of your BIOS, you'll also have to do it incrementally, as some of the later BIOS versions require specific previous versions to build on. But you'll probably find later BIOS versions also come with XMP stability improvements.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

You have to overclock them / enable an XMP profile in the BIOS for them to reach higher speeds. Every board is the same. You'll probably find 2133 is the native frequency for your RAM (highest allowable speed without XMP).

Most modules default to 2133 as it's JEDEC standard. Enable XMP / overclock them and you'll get the higher speeds.

Aug 6, 2019
So I had 1 stick of 8GB 2133 Mhz RAM. I bought 2x8 GB 3200Mhz RAM from GSKILL(TRIDENT Z) and installed them in dual channel. When i cheked cpu-z, the ram was running at 2133Mhz. How can I fix this? My motherboard is an asrock a320M pro4 and may cpu is a ryzen 1500x. Btw I checked my motherboard's max speed supported and it supports 3200Mhz. Thanks.

Edit: i could't install my RAM in A1 and B1 slots, because the cooler is blocking the a1 slot and i would have to remove the cooler . I installed the Ram sticks in a2 and b2. Does that make a difference?
You need to enable XMP

InstinctivE52

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

You have to overclock them / enable an XMP profile in the BIOS for them to reach higher speeds. Every board is the same. You'll probably find 2133 is the native frequency for your RAM (highest allowable speed without XMP).

Most modules default to 2133 as it's JEDEC standard. Enable XMP / overclock them and you'll get the higher speeds.
It does support that speed, as I said, it's completely normal for the voltage figure to turn red when you overclock the RAM.
1.35 is normal for most overclocked RAM.
As I said, when i select the xmp profile and save the pc starts turning on and off a couple of times, then turns on and boots, but the ram speed stays at 2133 Mhz. I tested some games, and dual channel makes such a difference, I am already happy with the results, even if I can't overclock the ram

60frames

Great
Jun 4, 2019
As I said, when i select the xmp profile and save the pc starts turning on and off a couple of times, then turns on and boots, but the ram speed stays at 2133 Mhz. I tested some games, and dual channel makes such a difference, I am already happy with the results, even if I can't overclock the ram
It happened with me and I have a Ryzen 3. You have to change some voltages for which I am not the right person to guide. I think I changed the CPU related voltages in increments of .25V. Basically the BIOS reverts it to the default clocks that the CPU supports. Just see Overclocking videos for your CPU. Just believe me I am sure that I fixed the problem this way. XMP will not help.
EDIT: Since you have an A320 you will not be able to OC. Only a new motherboard will help.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Apologies, I missed the post where you stated there were reboots occurring.

Ryzen can struggle with higher speeds. Do you have latest BIOS installed? Some later BIOS have some RAM compatibility improvements.

InstinctivE52

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
It happened with me and I have a Ryzen 3. You have to change some voltages for which I am not the right person to guide. I think I changed the CPU related voltages in increments of .25V. Basically the BIOS reverts it to the default clocks that the CPU supports. Just see Overclocking videos for your CPU. Just believe me I am sure that I fixed the problem this way. XMP will not help.
EDIT: Since you have an A320 you will not be able to OC. Only a new motherboard will help.
Thanks for the help anyways

InstinctivE52

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
Apologies, I missed the post where you stated there were reboots occurring.

Ryzen can struggle with higher speeds. Do you have latest BIOS installed? Some later BIOS have some RAM compatibility improvements.
No, I haven't updated my BIOS since I bought this PC. Is it hard to update the BIOS? I am afraid i might screw things up

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
No, I haven't updated my BIOS since I bought this PC. Is it hard to update the BIOS? I am afraid i might screw things up
Not hard at all, just follow the instructions in your motherboard manual or on the MB manufacturers website and ensure the PC does not lose power, or you interfere with the process.

Basically it gets scary because if people have surges or lose power during a BIOS update, it can brick the MB and it many people update BIOS without needing to, we recommend not updating the BIOS just because of the potential risks outweighing the reward, basically you should only really update the BIOS if you are encountering a problem that a newer BIOS could resolve - such as compatibility with components or bug fixes.

In my opinion, yours warrants a BIOS update as I know some older BIOS can struggle to get up to the rated RAM speeds on Ryzen chips.

The only way you can actually screw up a BIOS update, is if you let the PC shutdown for example during it, or randomly start unplugging things (like the USB with the flash file on it) as it runs.

If you're unsure though, don't worry. I can understand the worry if you've never done it before.

You may want to try moving the RAM speed up as far as possible first, rather than jump straight to 3000 perhaps.

InstinctivE52

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
Not hard at all, just follow the instructions in your motherboard manual or on the MB manufacturers website and ensure the PC does not lose power, or you interfere with the process.

Basically it gets scary because if people have surges or lose power during a BIOS update, it can brick the MB and it many people update BIOS without needing to, we recommend not updating the BIOS just because of the potential risks outweighing the reward, basically you should only really update the BIOS if you are encountering a problem that a newer BIOS could resolve - such as compatibility with components or bug fixes.

In my opinion, yours warrants a BIOS update as I know some older BIOS can struggle to get up to the rated RAM speeds on Ryzen chips.

The only way you can actually screw up a BIOS update, is if you let the PC shutdown for example during it, or randomly start unplugging things (like the USB with the flash file on it) as it runs.

If you're unsure though, don't worry. I can understand the worry if you've never done it before.

You may want to try moving the RAM speed up as far as possible first, rather than jump straight to 3000 perhaps.
Yeah I won't update the BIOS. I tried moving the RAM speed to 2400 Mhz, but it didn't work. Thanks for the help, but I will leave it with 2133Mhz. Maybe one day I will bring my pc to a shop and have them do it for me. Thanks everyone

InstinctivE52

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
View: https://imgur.com/a/kKeUX2R

What about this? Is it for other ryzen generations?
I used the same website.
Navigate to "Specification" and look at the Memory section.

Apologies I misread initially, this is for non-XMP profiles.

Regardless, it shouldn't be rebooting multiple times and you should be able to reach higher speeds. it should be defaulting to 2667 depending on how it's been installed. 2133 is JEDEC normal standard though.

InstinctivE52

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
I used the same website.
Navigate to "Specification" and look at the Memory section.

Apologies I misread initially, this is for non-XMP profiles.

Regardless, it shouldn't be rebooting multiple times and you should be able to reach higher speeds. it should be defaulting to 2667 depending on how it's been installed. 2133 is JEDEC normal standard though.
So a bios update will fix this?

Edit: I installed the ram sticks on A2 and B2

You should already have the latest BIOS; when nothing is working or strange things happening, it is best to update to the latest version to rule out any compatibility update possibility.

Do that and then enable XMP to see if it can boot, if not, manually lower DRAM Frequency until it can. Report back with results and we can get a better idea to move from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC Tailor