[SOLVED] 32GB memory in single channel

masoud_5april

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Hello,
I have an ASUS B360-plus MB and I'm using a dual (2x8GB-2400MHZ). I'm going to increase my memory to 32GB. literally, I have two options:
  1. Buy another dual 8GB memory and fill all the 4 memory slots (4x8GB).
  2. Buy a single channel 16GB memory and free one channel (2x8GB + 1x16GB).

I was thinking that buying a single 16GB memory is more efficient so I can buy another one in the future and increase my memory to 48GB. I was wondering if this fine with my current setup and if it is how about the dual-channel feature? Does it mess up my current dual-channel setup?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hello,
I have an ASUS B360-plus MB and I'm using a dual (2x8GB-2400MHZ). I'm going to increase my memory to 32GB. literally, I have two options:
I was thinking that buying a single 16GB memory is more efficient so I can buy another one in the future and increase my memory to 48GB. I was wondering if this fine with my current setup and if it is how about the dual-channel feature? Does it mess up my current dual-channel setup?

Thanks in advance.

Your issue isn't with single / dual channel, it's more with mixing non matched ram nand spec and timing wise.

Intel is generally...
Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Your issue isn't with single / dual channel, it's more with mixing non matched ram nand spec and timing wise.

Intel is generally more forgiving than amd but that doesn't mean its going to work flawlessly - it may do, it may not.

2 x 8gb in one channel and 1 x 16 gb in the other channel 'can' run in dual channel fine as can 1 x8gb+1x 16gb in one channel and 1 x 8gb+1 x 16gb in the second channel.
Note I said 'can' not definitely will.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution

masoud_5april

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013

Intel is generally more forgiving than amd but that doesn't mean its going to work flawlessly - it may do, it may not.

2 x 8gb in one channel and 1 x 16 gb in the other channel 'can' run in dual channel fine as can 1 x8gb+1x 16gb in one channel and 1 x 8gb+1 x 16gb in the second channel.
Note I said 'can' not definitely will.
Thanks for the answer. But you said two 16GB but currently, I want to buy a single 16GB and combine it with my current two 8GB], is this possible?
Also, you said can? I mean what is the problem with this setup that may break? Does anybody test this setup yet? Do you have any suggestions for the setup?

Thanks for the answer. But you said two 16GB but currently, I want to buy a single 16GB and combine it with my current two 8GB], is this possible?
Also, you said can? I mean what is the problem with this setup that may break? Does anybody test this setup yet? Do you have any suggestions for the setup?

Yes 1 x 16 + 2 x 8 can still work in dual channel.

I say can because ram is sold in matching sets for a reason.

When you start mixing ram from different pairs (even the same brand or spec) it is not guaranteed to work properly.

Ive personally never had an issue, many other people have.

Reactions: masoud_5april