[SOLVED] 3900x fixed voltage 1.2v dangerous?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 13, 2020
Hello there I got myself new pc pieces including a 3900x with a asus tuf x570 - cooler dark rock 4
I mainly use the computer when I come from work ( using 3dsmax for rendering and a bit of gaming as well )

But I noticed that while stressing out at cinebench r20 temps would rocket to 86º. (stock score 7400 - with the changes into voltage and speed - 7100 score )

I went to ryzen master and set a peak voltage to 1.2 at 4050mhz and it seems to stable out while under stress gets to 75º and idle 40-45º. ( with stock it would sometimes touch on 65º-70º on idle, would seem unstable somehow? )

BIOS chipset, graphics card everything up to date, windows 10 aswell, was the first thing I did after start moving stuff.

My question is the peak and average voltage is at 1.2 always, is there any way on ryzen master or anywhere else that i can set the voltage to not stay static? ( if it's not dangerous I would leave it that way? )

Bios settings on auto or they shouldn't be?
If you require any more info would gladly provide!

Sorry I am no expert into this matter and would like some input into this, thanks alot guys!

Solution
Guess I am very out of luck with fans..And I can't seem to find anything equivalent to this one you suggested.
with 4pins pwm to stay on motherboard and superior to 1500rpm and in terms of cooling quality, and 120mm, so frustrating..

wil the ARCTIC BioniX F120 will do the work?

I am in the meantime updating my RAM because im using 4x4gb 2133mhz. And i see Ryzen likes above 3200mhz ( i will be buying g.skill ripjaws v cl16 3200mhz )

Yes the bionix are very good fans, go right ahead with those.
Also swapping your ram to 2 x 8gb will pay huge dividends with performance.

Get those running full speed and maybe 15-20% performance increase.
Jul 13, 2020
I just built a 3900x system last week, MSI X570 mobo, 32 GB 3200mhz RAM, 2060 Nvidia rtx, 2x 1 TB SSDs. I tinkered around with voltages and think I finally found the sweet spot of performance and stability with a negative 0.1000v offset in bios. I have air cooling too
Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4

and my temps are relatively low, idles in low-mid 30s, maxes out at 76 C after 10 hours run of Prime 95. Cinebench R20 multicore score around 7300

Hey Beorn sorry for the bother on reviving the post again,

Did you touch anything else on undervolting -0.1v? like other values aswell?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Something else that can be a factor here is the difference in motherboards.
You see, some of these motherboards are tweaked out of the box for higher performance - it's the usual crap from the vendors competing with each other.
But, that crap screws over the end user in the process. Asus appears to be following along with the stock guidelines the closest out of them, but they're not innocent at all.
I would suggest running a few benchmarks between stock and the PBO levels.
An extreme example of this is Asrock's X570 Taichi; this thing on stock settings outperforms most of the PBO levels. That should not be happening.

Also, the NH-U12S isn't significantly better than the Dark Rock 4; they're both 200w coolers, even though the U12S doesn't look like it at all.

Reactions: garfsbastians
Jul 13, 2020
Something else that can be a factor here is the difference in motherboards.
You see, some of these motherboards are tweaked out of the box for higher performance - it's the usual crap from the vendors competing with each other.
But, that crap screws over the end-user in the process. Asus appears to be following along with the stock guidelines the closest out of them, but they're not innocent at all.
I would suggest running a few benchmarks between stock and the PBO levels.
An extreme example of this is Asrock's X570 Taichi; this thing on stock settings outperforms most of the PBO levels. That should not be happening.

Also, the NH-U12S isn't significantly better than the Dark Rock 4; they're both 200w coolers, even though the U12S doesn't look like it at all.

Still waiting for the weekend for doing all the testing, I still don't know what to touch on PBO tho.
The computer is running fine by now at 1.2v 4050mhz, 75º underload, Still waiting for the fans to come and to apply new thermal paste on "X" format.

I went with this cooler because of case compatibility tho. this one almost touched the acrylic side window, if not touching.

Yesterday i did the cinebench test with 1.2v 4050mhz - 7050 score - 75-76ºC score and touched the dark rock 4 fins with my fingers, and they were not that hot, are they supposed to be hot at a touch?

Jul 13, 2020
Depends on paste?

I use cooler master maker nano which is very thick, so on my ryzen 7 I actually spread it over the entire die with the included spatula.

Gp12 is a very nice fan

https://www.globaldata.pt/aircoolin...-12-pwm-preto-branco-120mm-dyn-x2-gp12-pwm-wt

I have 3 of them in my case, virtually silent.

Guess I am very out of luck with fans..And I can't seem to find anything equivalent to this one you suggested.
with 4pins pwm to stay on motherboard and superior to 1500rpm and in terms of cooling quality, and 120mm, so frustrating..

I am in the meantime updating my RAM because im using 4x4gb 2133mhz. And i see Ryzen likes above 3200mhz ( i will be buying g.skill ripjaws v cl16 3200mhz )

Last edited:

Solution
Jul 13, 2020

what you mean with "2 x 8gb will pay huge dividends with performance. " I will loose performance? sorry english not my native language :c.

Il be going with 2x16 cl16 3200mhz, for the rendering