[SOLVED] 3rd GPU has artifacts...

Mar 17, 2020
I upgraded from a Radeon R9 390x to a RTX 2070 about 5 months ago. Then all of a sudden my 2070 got major artifacts and kept crashing 3 months latwr. So I sent it in for warranty, I plugged in my spare GTX 1070 to play some games while I wait for my 2070. Queue 3 weeks later boom GTX is gone same thing artifacts and causes my PC to crash. So im thinking maybe it's my PSU all though I can go on my PC without a graphics card from my i7-9700k but anyway I replace my PSU with a new one and replace my case fans. I should note the GPU's were not overheating when they failed I was monitoring temps all the time.

So I replace my PSU and plug in my old Radeon R9 390 and everything is working fine, till today 2 weeks later my Radeon has crashed and wont even display in devices. Im at a loss what else can it be? Specs below.

Intel i7-9700k (not oc)
Kraken x62 cpu cooler
Asus Prime z390-a
Evga 750 gold PSU
Vengeance 3200mhz 16gb ram
500gb ssd and 2tb hdd

Solution
Yeah, all good hardware then...

I'm not sure how to go about testing the PCIE slot either - someone else may have an idea. But you do have a 2nd slot on that motherboard...

There is a relatively easy way to check the wiring via a receptacle tester, but that's if any hardware stores are even open near you... then that just leaves online ordering and waiting for it.
A surge protectors protection is limited. Without a better idea of what's going on - whether the problem is in the wall, or still inside the PC - the SP could prove useless in preventing the next gpu death.
Mar 17, 2020
Looking at your specs in particular, nothing really sticks out - it's a nice build... but 3 different gpus have gone kaput.
Before you put in the old R9, you had replaced the psu with one of these EVGA 750w gold units, and after a period of time, that gpu went poof.

I suspect that your AIO has leaked onto all three gpus. Take it out and give it a thorough inspection.

Hmm thanks for the reply, the cooler seems fine it doesn't look to be leaking.

Mar 17, 2020
What was the make and model of the old psu?

I'm now wondering if either the old psu damaged your motherboard, or there is a possible short in your case, either through the monitor cable, or the PCIE slot itself...

The old PSU was an EVGA Supernova 650 P2 platinum. The motherboard was also new when I got the 2070 5 months ago. Also seems to be working fine as in I can go into onboard graphics and use my PC that way. But the PCIE slot might be broken I have no idea how to test that short of sticking another GPU in there and seeing if it breaks also. The case is an NZXT H700i and is usually on my desk or on the floor (hardwood flooring) maybe a surge protector would help? I live in a newer building but maybe I get power surges?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

I'm not sure how to go about testing the PCIE slot either - someone else may have an idea. But you do have a 2nd slot on that motherboard...

There is a relatively easy way to check the wiring via a receptacle tester, but that's if any hardware stores are even open near you... then that just leaves online ordering and waiting for it.
A surge protectors protection is limited. Without a better idea of what's going on - whether the problem is in the wall, or still inside the PC - the SP could prove useless in preventing the next gpu death.

Solution
Mar 17, 2020

Yea I have a second PCIE slot but I don't have another graphics card, im waiting for my 2070 to come back from the manufacturer and that's even if I get it back now as most of the ports from Asia are closed. I will plug into the lower slot when I get my card back.

Which wiring do you mean? All the cables from the PSU? I changed all the wiring when I got the new PSU and it passed the Dr Power II tests but who knows.