Question 450 vs 570, Which To Pick?

Jan 12, 2020
I am working on a new build. I will be using the Ryzen 7 2700x processor. I know that the 450 board supports the 2000 series but would it be beneficial to spend a little extra and buy a 570 board? My thought is that if I buy the 570 board now, then in a year or two I can throw in a 3000 series CPU and get a bump in performance without having to change any other components.
Or is my logic wrong or simply not justifiable? Any input would help.
As far as boards Im currently looking at the B450 Tomahawk Max and the ASUS Prime X570 PRO. But if you have other boards in either chipsets that you prefer let me know and I will look into those. Thanks.

B450 will handle 3rd gen ryzen fine, after a bios flash. The vrms on most b450 boards will handle every third gen CPU up to a 3900X, where they may start to struggle. But even 200 dollar x570 boards can handle a 3950X quite well, perhaps even overclocked. Dont get x570 unless you need pcie gen 4 ssds or you want to overclock higher cpus like 3800x, 3900x, or 3950x, or their fourth gen equivalents in the future.

Reactions: Vanilla_Delight

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Msi's Max series B450 boards were released for 3rd gen support out of the box so there's nothing you need to do there.

The main benefit for PCIe ssd, besides cable management, gen3 or 4 is the data transfer, copying large files etc. If gaming, you won't notice much difference compared to even 2.5" ssds as random io access is almost the same.

Tomahawk Max is a good budget board but id choose 570 though for better vrm phases to handle more powerful cpus (ie 3900x) or if overclock. The Asus Prime/Tuf or Gigabyte Aorus Elite. Gigabyte Aorus is also a very good pick.

Reactions: Vanilla_Delight
Jan 12, 2020
So the tomahawk max in your opinion is a good MB assuming I dont use it for a 3000 series CPU down the road? At this point im thinking it might be better to go 450 with a 3rd gen PCIe SSD and then just buy a new board whenever I feel the need to upgrade.

Msi's Max series B450 boards were released for 3rd gen support out of the box so there's nothing you need to do there.

The main benefit for PCIe ssd, besides cable management, gen3 or 4 is the data transfer, copying large files etc. If gaming, you won't notice much difference compared to even 2.5" ssds as random io access is almost the same.

Tomahawk Max is a good budget board but id choose 570 though for better vrm phases to handle more powerful cpus (ie 3900x) or if overclock. The Asus Prime/Tuf or Gigabyte Aorus Elite. Gigabyte Aorus is also a very good pick.

Jan 12, 2020
Very true although I've been waiting for over a year to build a new machine hoping ddr5 would come out. Thanks for your replies.

Tomahawk Max will support 3600x/3700x/3800x just fine. 3900x could be a problem though.

2700x is very decent. You could wait for x670 boards toward the end of this year + Ryzen 4000 and re-evaluate.

get the 570 if PCI-E 4.0 is important to you. but you won't be able to take advantage with a 2xxx CPU.
the board will consume more wattage too - that said some 570 boards are coming down in price so the gap is closing

I am working on a new build. I will be using the Ryzen 7 2700x processor. I know that the 450 board supports the 2000 series but would it be beneficial to spend a little extra and buy a 570 board? My thought is that if I buy the 570 board now, then in a year or two I can throw in a 3000 series CPU and get a bump in performance without having to change any other components.
Or is my logic wrong or simply not justifiable? Any input would help.
As far as boards Im currently looking at the B450 Tomahawk Max and the ASUS Prime X570 PRO. But if you have other boards in either chipsets that you prefer let me know and I will look into those. Thanks.

Just find strange seeing a B450 even being considred as a option for such high end CPU.
Even if using a 3600X, I would gone with X570 Gaming 4, it had good price, slightly more expensive than the MSI B450 Max but I knew it would offer way better memory compatibility not to mention in the future pcie4.

Just find strange seeing a B450 even being considred as a option for such high end CPU.
Even if using a 3600X, I would gone with X570 Gaming 4, it had good price, slightly more expensive than the MSI B450 Max but I knew it would offer way better memory compatibility not to mention in the future pcie4.
Better memory compatibility is basically the only practical feature of X570 over B450. Sure the boards have better VRMs, but those aren't needed for running stock, and overclocking ryzen third gen is simply not worth it, at least for single threaded workloads. PCIe gen 4 has basically no application besides storage. No GPU is close to actually needing all the bandwidth of gen 3 at x16, and no, the 5500XT doesn't count. High end GPUs will probably continue to be that way until ryzen 3rd gen is close to irrelevant. The buyer would have to decide whether the $30 difference is worth being able to mess around with memory overclocks some more.

Better memory compatibility is basically the only practical feature of X570 over B450. Sure the boards have better VRMs, but those aren't needed for running stock, and overclocking ryzen third gen is simply not worth it, at least for single threaded workloads. PCIe gen 4 has basically no application besides storage. No GPU is close to actually needing all the bandwidth of gen 3 at x16, and no, the 5500XT doesn't count. High end GPUs will probably continue to be that way until ryzen 3rd gen is close to irrelevant. The buyer would have to decide whether the $30 difference is worth being able to mess around with memory overclocks some more.
I would get an X570 if its only 30$ more since it will overclock the CPU and RAM better.
We don't know yet if the upcoming RTX 3080 Ti will saturate PCIE 16x 3.0.
For 30$, you get better compatibility, better overclockability, faster storage and maybe faster gpu. Also we don't know if the B450 will support Ryzen 4000 but the X570 will surely support the newer CPUs. If the difference was more than 80$ then yeah get the B450.

Personally I upgraded a cheap B350 to a premium X370 with 16 phases VRM and better sound (Creative). Sold the B350 for 70$ and got the X370 for 120$ so it was worth it. I would have gotten the Asus Tuf X570 but it deosn't support my Ryzen 1800X so I had no choice because I will only upgrade to Ryzen 4000. I just hope that the X370 will have a bios update to support Ryzen 4000.

Jan 12, 2020
Right now I can get the B450 Tomahawk Max for $95 with a $10 rebate (So $85 total). The cheapest X570 board that I would feel comfortable using is right around $200. So the price difference isn't $30. I would be more than likely to upgrade to a high end Ryzen 3xxx before going to the 4xxx simply for cost effectiveness.

I would get an X570 if its only 30$ more since it will overclock the CPU and RAM better.
We don't know yet if the upcoming RTX 3080 Ti will saturate PCIE 16x 3.0.
For 30$, you get better compatibility, better overclockability, faster storage and maybe faster gpu. Also we don't know if the B450 will support Ryzen 4000 but the X570 will surely support the newer CPUs. If the difference was more than 80$ then yeah get the B450.

Personally I upgraded a cheap B350 to a premium X370 with 16 phases VRM and better sound (Creative). Sold the B350 for 70$ and got the X370 for 120$ so it was worth it. I would have gotten the Asus Tuf X570 but it deosn't support my Ryzen 1800X so I had no choice because I will only upgrade to Ryzen 4000. I just hope that the X370 will have a bios update to support Ryzen 4000.

Right now I can get the B450 Tomahawk Max for $95 with a $10 rebate (So $85 total). The cheapest X570 board that I would feel comfortable using is right around $200. So the price difference isn't $30. I would be more than likely to upgrade to a high end Ryzen 3xxx before going to the 4xxx simply for cost effectiveness.

The B450 Tomahawk Max for 85$ is a really good deal, good for it.