[SOLVED] 4k gaming question

ryublue

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
ok so i have a RTX2080 and an old samsung 4k monitor. when i play Final Fantasy 14 i play at 1440p because i cant see a difference between 4k and 1440p. this last weekend i discovered something about my setup. its possible i have a D.port cable thats 1.2 and maybe my monitor is D.Port1.2 and the 4k is HDMI. is it possible i dont see a difference because of an old cable and/or my monitor is 1.2. i dont see any issues when i turn it to 4k. it just looks the same as 1440p.
i think my monitor is 2014. which i think is before D.port 1.4 and thats why i am thinking the 4k is through HDMI.

Solution
There isnt much difference between 1440p and 4k in terms of picture quality to begin with.
So your question is what?
Why 1440p looks the same as 4K or something else?
DisplayPort 1.2 has enough bandwidth for 4K 60Hz.

The reason why games don't really look different at 4K is because their textures are not designed for 4K and often times the 2D elements like icons are static graphics, so they don't scale anyway. FFXIV especially because the reboot was originally designed to run on the PS3 and it still carries a lot of that baggage.

ryublue

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
There isnt much difference between 1440p and 4k in terms of picture quality to begin with.
So your question is what?
Why 1440p looks the same as 4K or something else?
ok so i guess it must just be me expecting more when there really wasent much more. i expected to see a difference between the two and when i saw none i figured it was just me. and when i saw an ad for a 4k D.port cable it made me think maybe my hardware was the reason i couldn't see a difference.

Reactions: Dj0gany