Build Advice 4k video editing, and Gaming Build

Jan 1, 2023
Hello everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and offering any assistance/help. I've had the same rig I built for gaming for about 8 years now with small upgrades here, and there. Recently I started a YouTube Channel, and mostly shoot in 1080p, but want to start doing more 4k. My build cant cut it for using any video editing software without preview being almost impossible to edit. Especially on larger projects. So I want to either build or buy a new PC as a result. Its time. However, I've been out of the game so long I dont know where to even start. Matter of fact I'm clueless.

I've toyed with the ideas of getting a prebuilt and saving myself some time, and maybe money. But I know that you can usually get better components and prices by building. I'm option to either option to be honest.

My Budget would be around $1300.00 Max. Maybe more if I'm able to finance..

I do like to casually game, but havent been doing much of it last 2 years. That's probably because my system can't run newer games, or at least in good performance killing the vibe. My main reason for the new build would be for video editing but this isnt like a profession. More less something as a side hobby, but would like a have a much easier experience to edit without performance issues.

Outside of Gaming, and video editing, the PC would just be my typically goto Machine for browsing, social networking, and some minor graphic design. Mainly Photoshop types.

If you need more information i'll be happy to answer anymore questions. I understand and looked at other posts similar to mine, but realize its hard to give advise without knowing what somebody is after in order to tailer a recommendation to them. So if I have broken any rules by this post I apologize in advance.

So to wrap up looking for a good intermediate build for both 4k Video editing, and side gaming now and then. budget around 1300 max. If you feel i can get away with less and lower to 1k than awesome!! Prebuilt was what I was looking at, but if its hands down better to part out I'm open to it.

I greatly and anxiously look forward to any advice or help.

-Garrett M

Jan 1, 2023
The resolution of your display will influence your decision. I would stick to Nvidia for photoshop/premier support....
Due to lack of desk space from working at home I have a single 27" IPS monitor on your typical 1920 x1080 Display. However, I can and most likely will upgrade that to a 4k tv later that I have sitting around. But for now thats what I'm using.

What are current specs?
Here is my current build specs run from CPU-Z Again I do want to say that this just needs to bet by for some video editing and casual gaming. Doesnt need to be doing 8k Or anything like that. I'm almost thinking prebuild maybe the way to go. A friend of mine who is more Tech savoy suggested a iBuyPower PC for my wife and when I try editing on hers with something like VSDC it works fine. But on mine the preview lags and stutters way too much. Just a example where maybe I can get by with less.

Kt8ZwmB.png

VMeE8OB.png

WibjlNA.png

WCsSBRR.png

zUeGR6B.png

Jan 1, 2023
Certainly time for an update.

Are you near a Micro Center or have a preferred shopping platform?
Unfortunately the closest Microcenter would be about 3 hours away. I typically always ordered my parts for builds from Newegg. But also purchased that prebuilt from iBuyPower last year. So I’m open to suggestions.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
In a quick look on Newegg, going all new and without hunting down deals I am coming up with:

12600K*
Z690 Tomahawk*
Corsair Vengeance 2x16 DDR5
Corsair RM750x
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3050 Gaming OC 8G
Samsung 980 Pro M.2

This is the ballpark of $1125 (all of it is free shipping). Leaves enough room for a case and some additional storage. You could probably play around with the CPU and motherboard choices if you wished to go up to an i7, or lesser if you wanted to stay below $1K.
I personally chose what I consider a decent motherboard such that if you bide your time, you should be able to score a 13th gen i7/9 variant later on after 14th release and have a great performer just slightly behind the curve.

Reactions: Crosx731 and Why_Me
In a quick look on Newegg, going all new and without hunting down deals I am coming up with:

12600K*
Z690 Tomahawk*
Corsair RM750x
Samsung 980 Pro M.2

This is the ballpark of $1125 (all of it is free shipping). Leaves enough room for a case and some additional storage. You could probably play around with the CPU and motherboard choices if you wished to go up to an i7, or lesser if you wanted to stay below $1K.
I personally chose what I consider a decent motherboard such that if you bide your time, you should be able to score a 13th gen i7/9 variant later on after 14th release and have a great performer just slightly behind the curve.
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144543
MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR5 $159.99

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

I don't think these are bad boards to select, however, if I was looking for a build with great overhead for adding a much more powerful CPU in the future, I would consider something higher line than this one. If the idea was to stick with an i5 variant for it's lifespan or consider non K parts, this would do fine and leave room to be spent elsewhere.

Jan 1, 2023

12600K*
Z690 Tomahawk*
Corsair RM750x
Samsung 980 Pro M.2

Thank you for taking the time to post these recommendations. There were many different options when searching the same product so I want to see if these links are the ones you were in fact looking at. My total came to about 100.00 more than yours.

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-gef...-oc-8gd/p/N82E16814932496?Item=9SIASGMHS27330
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-1tb-980-pro/p/N82E16820147790?Item=N82E16820147790
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-...a-750w/p/N82E16817139271?Item=N82E16817139271

I know there are different versions of the same product with a example of timings on memory. I wanted to ensure that all the listed above components are the ones you were accurately recommending.

My cost shows a bit more at $1262. but prices can change daily with this stuff I know. I wouldnt mind looking at i7 instead of i5 right now if the price is reasonable.
Also two last questions. Can you recommend a case that will fit well for this build and has good ventilation? And a novice question but would I need to purchase a new windows license, and how would I set it up without a disk drive. Sorry i'm that much out of the game.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
As to the OS, the best bet is just to use a USB of the proper size on a working PC to download direct from MS. The keys can be purchased online.

I noted that just the GPU alone was significantly more than the one I selected, but I didn't save the cart after posting. I tried to select "shipped by Newegg" and "free shipping" in order to avoid that aspect. I also selected a lot of the "best seller" products. The M.2 looks pretty similar to the price when I picked it. Look around on the RM750x as there is one for 99.99 on that.

With Newegg it's always a good idea to do a bit of digging from the component menus selected at "lowest price" in a general search rather than typing a specific product name. And, as you mentioned, pricing there can be very fluid.

As to a case, I don't generally select those for builds in that you need to find something that suits your taste. You will be the one looking at it. With that said, get something with good ventilation and sizes appropriately for your motherboard, GPU, and CPU cooler. Be Quiet has a nice mesh front case that I think comes with three fans for ~70. Corsair makes some decent cases. If you are looking to go more budget oriented, don't overlook Rosewill.

edit- I did attempt to find that PSU and it went up $20 overnight.

Jan 1, 2023
As to the OS, the best bet is just to use a USB of the proper size on a working PC to download direct from MS. The keys can be purchased online.

I noted that just the GPU alone was significantly more than the one I selected, but I didn't save the cart after posting. I tried to select "shipped by Newegg" and "free shipping" in order to avoid that aspect. I also selected a lot of the "best seller" products. The M.2 looks pretty similar to the price when I picked it. Look around on the RM750x as there is one for 99.99 on that.

With Newegg it's always a good idea to do a bit of digging from the component menus selected at "lowest price" in a general search rather than typing a specific product name. And, as you mentioned, pricing there can be very fluid.

As to a case, I don't generally select those for builds in that you need to find something that suits your taste. You will be the one looking at it. With that said, get something with good ventilation and sizes appropriately for your motherboard, GPU, and CPU cooler. Be Quiet has a nice mesh front case that I think comes with three fans for ~70. Corsair makes some decent cases. If you are looking to go more budget oriented, don't overlook Rosewill.

edit- I did attempt to find that PSU and it went up $20 overnight.

Punkncat, thanks for all your great advice! I have moved forward with what you mapped out, but want to add a secondary storage for video files mainly as they add up fast.

can you tell me if either of these would be a good option? And if not what specs to look for.
Thanks

Western Digital 2TB WD Blue PC Internal Hard Drive - 7200 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD20EZBX https://a.co/d/32xyU6L

Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch – Frustration Free Packaging (ST2000DM008/ST2000DMZ08) https://a.co/d/eXA5kS0

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Punkncat, thanks for all your great advice! I have moved forward with what you mapped out, but want to add a secondary storage for video files mainly as they add up fast.

can you tell me if either of these would be a good option? And if not what specs to look for.
Thanks

Western Digital 2TB WD Blue PC Internal Hard Drive - 7200 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD20EZBX https://a.co/d/32xyU6L

Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch – Frustration Free Packaging (ST2000DM008/ST2000DMZ08) https://a.co/d/eXA5kS0

You are welcome, glad I could help.

I recently purchase a Barracuda myself. The decision was mostly grounded in price. I have in use quite a few WD drives as well. Considering the price is the same on both of these you might just "pin the tail on the donkey" as it were....

Jan 1, 2023
Punkncat. Well ironically my wife surprised me with a prebuilt gaming PC as a surprise. She was holding off on telling me until she realized I was starting to get ready to build a new one. It’s pretty comparable to the specs you suggested for me.

ProcessorIntel® Core™ i5-13600KF Processor (6X 3.50GHz + 8X 2.60GHz/24MB L3 Cache)
Processor CoolingiBUYPOWER 240mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System
Memory16GB [8GB x 2] DDR4-3600MHz RGB
Video CardGeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 8GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
Storage1TB M.2 NVMe SSD
MotherboardZ690 DDR4
Power Supply600 Watt - 80 PLUS Gold Certified
Wireless NetworkPCIe or On-Board Wireless Network
Operating SystemWindows 11 Home

Seems to be doing a good job on video editing and haven’t done any gaming yet. However I had a question with an issue that I just noticed. Not sure if your expertise is on this subject or not but figured I’d ask since you have been so helpful. Again I am a content creator in addition to gaming. My iPhone videos are sometimes mov files and other times mp4. Mp4 videos play fine on the PC but when I try to play the mov videos they come out washed out to the point it’s like looking at flares. It’s also much more grainy. Happens on windows media player, movies and tv app, and any other 3rd party media player I’ve tried. They seem to be fine in my video editor software though. I have a laptop also upgraded to windows 11 and this issue is not present. Tried updating the graphics driver and playing with NVIDIA controller to change color range. Can’t figure this out