[SOLVED] 4k video editing off NAS on a Wifi 6 2.4Gbps LAN?

sds20020024

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
Hello everyone

This might seem a bit strange, but this setup is the only feasible solution I could think of.

So this setup is going to be in an RV (recreational vehicle), a 25ft motorhome.

The nas and the laptop cannot be in the same place, due to lack of space, and also the layout of the particular motorhome. Also, the laptop needs to have access to the Nas from different positions inside the motorhome, so running cables isn't really an option, as that would spoil the aesthetics, and drilling holes on the roof or the floor isn't practical.

The Nas is gonna be a custom built ryzen system with a mini itx motherboard with 2.4Gbps WiFi 6, inside a fractal design node 304 with six 8TB or 10TB Seagate ironwolf pros, and is gonna be running windows with a raid card , configured in RAID 5 (I know windows isn't ideal for storage servers, but from what I've found out, freeas, unraid, or even CentOS for that matter don't have good support for wireless network cards, and although I could just get a 10Gb NIC in the motherboard, and connect it to the WiFi 6 router, and run zfs on freenas, I'd have to buy one of those expensive routers with a 10Gb LAN port on the back, and also I'd have to use one of those cheap and unreliable m.2 to sata HBAs, since it's a mini itx motherboard, so only 1 pcie slot), so I need to run windows for the motherboard drivers for the WiFi 6 network adapter.

The router I have in mind is a D-link wifi 6 router advertised to be capable of up to 4.8Gbps throughput , and since laptops have WiFi 6, the theoretical maximum throughput from the nas to the computer should be 2.4Gbps, as I couldn't find a mini itx am4 motherboard with WiFi 6 throughput highter than 2.4Gbps.

Now my question is whether 4k ProRes RAW ( the most demanding thing that'll be done with this setup) editing is possible with this setup. ( I know that theoretical max transfer speeds don't translate well to real world performance, but I still want to get an idea about how much performance I should expect)

The file sizes are mostly around 100-150GB, and yes I could copy files to an ssd and work off of it and then copy the files back to the Nas , that is kind of inconvenient.

And also, is there any other setup that might be better in this case?

I know this setup is far from ideal for 4k video editing, but it's the best I could think of.
Also, I know spinning disks moving in a vehicle is a terrible idea, but considering the fact that the array is only gonna be running when the vehicle is stationary, I thought the risks of catastrophic failure aren't that high?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
Did you not find it strange that wifi6 routers claim these huge rates but none have 10g lan and wan ports on them.....well there might be some but the vast majority only have normal gigabit ports.

This is because these numbers are not realistic. There are 2 major issues. First it attempt to use 160mhz of bandwidth. Depends exactly how they do it but it pretty much guarantees you have interference from other users. Next it is attempting to use a extremely dense data encoding called qam1024. This is even more susceptible than simpler data encoding to interference. So you are increasing the chance of interference and then using a protocol that is much more easily damaged by interference.

Maybe in some magic lead lined room...
Did you not find it strange that wifi6 routers claim these huge rates but none have 10g lan and wan ports on them.....well there might be some but the vast majority only have normal gigabit ports.

This is because these numbers are not realistic. There are 2 major issues. First it attempt to use 160mhz of bandwidth. Depends exactly how they do it but it pretty much guarantees you have interference from other users. Next it is attempting to use a extremely dense data encoding called qam1024. This is even more susceptible than simpler data encoding to interference. So you are increasing the chance of interference and then using a protocol that is much more easily damaged by interference.

Maybe in some magic lead lined room with very special software you can get faster rates....assume you have 10g ports to exit the equipment.

In real work usage you will be very lucky to get 600mbps with wifi6.

If you had 10gbit cables you would then be botlenecked by your disk/file system both in your end device and in the nas.

In this case you need to decide if this is going to be good enough. The only way you are going to get very fast connecivity is with ethernet. In theory moca 2.5 can get more than 1gbit but I have not seen equipment that has faster than 1gbit ports....you need tv coax between both location anyway to even consider it.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Hello everyone

This might seem a bit strange, but this setup is the only feasible solution I could think of.

So this setup is going to be in an RV (recreational vehicle), a 25ft motorhome.

The nas and the laptop cannot be in the same place, due to lack of space, and also the layout of the particular motorhome. Also, the laptop needs to have access to the Nas from different positions inside the motorhome, so running cables isn't really an option, as that would spoil the aesthetics, and drilling holes on the roof or the floor isn't practical.

The Nas is gonna be a custom built ryzen system with a mini itx motherboard with 2.4Gbps WiFi 6, inside a fractal design node 304 with six 8TB or 10TB Seagate ironwolf pros, and is gonna be running windows with a raid card , configured in RAID 5 (I know windows isn't ideal for storage servers, but from what I've found out, freeas, unraid, or even CentOS for that matter don't have good support for wireless network cards, and although I could just get a 10Gb NIC in the motherboard, and connect it to the WiFi 6 router, and run zfs on freenas, I'd have to buy one of those expensive routers with a 10Gb LAN port on the back, and also I'd have to use one of those cheap and unreliable m.2 to sata HBAs, since it's a mini itx motherboard, so only 1 pcie slot), so I need to run windows for the motherboard drivers for the WiFi 6 network adapter.

The router I have in mind is a D-link wifi 6 router advertised to be capable of up to 4.8Gbps throughput , and since laptops have WiFi 6, the theoretical maximum throughput from the nas to the computer should be 2.4Gbps, as I couldn't find a mini itx am4 motherboard with WiFi 6 throughput highter than 2.4Gbps.

Now my question is whether 4k ProRes RAW ( the most demanding thing that'll be done with this setup) editing is possible with this setup. ( I know that theoretical max transfer speeds don't translate well to real world performance, but I still want to get an idea about how much performance I should expect)

The file sizes are mostly around 100-150GB, and yes I could copy files to an ssd and work off of it and then copy the files back to the Nas , that is kind of inconvenient.

And also, is there any other setup that might be better in this case?

I know this setup is far from ideal for 4k video editing, but it's the best I could think of.
Also, I know spinning disks moving in a vehicle is a terrible idea, but considering the fact that the array is only gonna be running when the vehicle is stationary, I thought the risks of catastrophic failure aren't that high?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
The latest Asus routers have a 2.5Gbit LAN port. I would get a motherboard with 2.5Gbit LAN. WIFI 6 might be OK. I haven't tried, but WIFI by definition is half duplex. Your router can only transmit OR receive. That cuts any performance in half. So no matter what marketing numbers a router or laptop advertises expect 1/2. You might get gigabit throughput on WIFI6. That is still 1/6th the performance of a standard SATA drive. I think you will be much happier with a thunderbolt or other high speed enclosure with a cable to a single "work" area.