[SOLVED] 4TB vs 2TB M.2 PCle SSD // What's the best 4TB SSD?

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
I already have 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD. But I am considering a bigger SSD because I am running out of space.

1. Are 4TB M.2 PCle SSD better than 2TB ones in terms of specs other than storage volume?

2. What's the best 4TB SSD? This is a simple table I assembled.

SabrentSeagateKingstonPNYTeamgroup
Memory3D TLC NAND3D TLC NAND3D TLC NAND3D NAND TLC
InterfacePCIe Gen4x4PCIe Gen4 ×4PCIe Gen 4.0PCIe Gen3 x4PCIe Gen3x4
Max sequential read70007300?730035003500
Max sequential write66007300?700030002900
TBW3000TB1275

I have zero knowledge in computer specs (which means when the number is high, I just guess it's good)

3. Is TBW useful? Good to be high on this?

If yes, then I wish I knew Kingston's TBW.

4. And Kingston's "Interface" is 4, not 4x4. Is that an important drawback?

5. This ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore is the motherboard that I currently have. Does this allow the maximum performance of these SSDs?

Solution
1. Are 4TB M.2 PCle SSD better than 2TB ones in terms of specs other than storage volume?
Typically higher capacity meant higher performance, but that only seems to apply to sub 1TB capacity drives. So no, there's nothing better spec-wise about a higher capacity drive other than capacity.

This is the manufacturer guarantee on how much data you can write to the drive before flash is considered worn out. While yes, higher is better, almost nobody in a consumer setting actually wears out their flash drive. My 500GB 970 Evo reports 14TB has been written to it over the course of 18 months. Samsung guarantees 150TBW. If this rate remains consistent (it won't), I have about 16 years...
I already have 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD. But I am considering a bigger SSD because I am running out of space.

2. What's the best 4TB SSD? This is a simple table I assembled.

SabrentSeagateKingstonPNYTeamgroup
Memory3D TLC NAND3D TLC NAND3D TLC NAND3D NAND TLC
InterfacePCIe Gen4x4PCIe Gen4 ×4PCIe Gen 4.0PCIe Gen3 x4PCIe Gen3x4
Max sequential read70007300?730035003500
Max sequential write66007300?700030002900
TBW3000TB1275

I have zero knowledge in computer specs (which means when the number is high, I just guess it's good)

If yes, then I wish I knew Kingston's TBW.

5. This ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore is the motherboard that I currently have. Does this allow the maximum performance of these SSDs?
Your m.2 slots support pcie 3.
No sense paying extra for a pcie 4 ssd as it will run at pcie 3 speed.

As for best that's subjective.
Look at the WD/Samsung/Crucial line up.

Reactions: mujmuj
Typically higher capacity meant higher performance, but that only seems to apply to sub 1TB capacity drives. So no, there's nothing better spec-wise about a higher capacity drive other than capacity.

This is the manufacturer guarantee on how much data you can write to the drive before flash is considered worn out. While yes, higher is better, almost nobody in a consumer setting actually wears out their flash drive. My 500GB 970 Evo reports 14TB has been written to it over the course of 18 months. Samsung guarantees 150TBW. If this rate remains consistent (it won't), I have about 16 years total with this drive. No drive I've owned has come close to even half that time before I let it go.

Typically most NVMe SSDs use 4 lanes, hence the "x4" . Given the bandwidth specs on the website (https://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/gaming/kingston-fury-renegade-nvme-m2-ssd) it's 4 lanes.

No, not that it really matters unless you're doing constant SSD to SSD transfers.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
This is the manufacturer guarantee on how much data you can write to the drive before flash is considered worn out.
Actually, it is the number at which they no longer provide warranty.
Like age.
And it will age out of the warranty long before it writes out.

And you are absolutely correct in that a regular consumer will never ever see whatever that TBW number is.
600 vs 1500 is irrelevant, if your use over the next decade is only 200.

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015

I am willing to upgrade to a new motherboard which supports pcie 4. My current motherboard supports 256GB of RAM. I will look for a motherboard which supports pcie4 and 256GB RAM or more.

WD/Samsung/Crucial don't seem to have 4TB m.2 SSD, no?

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015

Where did you find that my motherboard supports only pcie 3, but not 4? I couldn't find it on Amazon product description.

It would be great if I can have a list of motherboard which supports pcie 4. Is there such a thing?

My current motherboard supports 256GB of RAM. I will look for a motherboard which supports pcie4 and 256GB RAM or more.

WD/Samsung/Crucial don't seem to have 4TB m.2 SSD, no?

WD does. Don't know about the other 2.

https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-4tb-red-sn700-nvme/p/N82E16820250207?quicklink=true

https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-4tb-black-sn750-nvme/p/N82E16820250180?quicklink=true

Not sure why you are looking for a motherboard that supports more than 256 GB RAM.

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015

Thanks. So it seems WD has 3400 read speed. So I guess choosing between Seagate, Kingston, Sabrent is a good idea? Or is there some other performance criteria that matter more than read/write speed for doing big data analysis?

Unless you have some quite unusual case, factors other than specified read/write speed are likely to be more important when choosing an SSD.

Such as capacity, price, warranty, return privileges with the vendor, customer service issues.

And reliability......which one is that?

Unless you are obsessed with benchmarks and are inclined to use a stopwatch in your daily life.