dansamueltutor

Commendable
Dec 24, 2018
I just bought two kits of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200mhz (total of 32gb) and upon testing I am able to boot with 4 sticks running at stock speed (2133 mhz) but when I activate the XMP/DOCP in the bios to get to 3200mhz, when I boot, my system unit just keeps restarting without display up to 5 times, then will boot and and display a message saying "memory settings have been reset due to failure to boot" not sure of the words but it's something like that.

I tested the two kits separately and they both worked at advertised speeds, bot kits run fine at 3200 mhz.

My specs are

Ryzen 3 2200g
Rog strix 1070
Rog Strix B450-E
4x8gb Corsair Vengeance PRO 3200mhz
Seasonic 650w 80+
Apacer SSD 500gb
1tb WD Blue

I am also aware that my RAM is overkill, I just want to put 4 sticks in for aesthetic purposes, and also I'm waiting for my Ryzen 7 3800x to arrive. Please help me thanks.

dansamueltutor

Commendable
Dec 24, 2018
I bought 2x 16gb kits of Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 3200mhz 3 days ago.
I tested each kit of 16gb and they worked flawlessly on DOCP, so after knowing that both kits work,
I populated all 4 slots and enabled DOCP in the bios then save.
When I restarted the computer, it just keeps turning on and off for like 5 times with the DRAM light being ON.
After 5 times of restarting, it booted and greeted me a message saying :

"Memory settings have been cleared due to failure to boot"

And it asks me to press F1 to go to BIOS, and when I got there, it shows my ram speed is reverted back to stock speed which is 2133 mhz, so I just proceed and loaded optimal defaults and it booted successfully.

I just want to get what I paid for.

I have already tried :

• Clearing CMOS/Replacing CMOS Battery
• Manually setting ram speed, timings and voltages with different configurations with the help of Ryzen DRAM Calculator and Thaipoon

And today, just about an hour ago, I tried testing each ram slot with 1 DIMM of course.
4 tests on 4 slots booted flawlessly at stock speed 2133mhz, but when I tried to enable DOCP,
only slot A2 and B2 can boot successfully with DOCP being ON.
Slot A1 and B1 can only boot at speed 2400mhz, anything above that keeps on restarting and can't even POST.
I reached for the manual but I could not find information about it, also it's written mostly in chinese.

btw. my CPU is Ryzen 3 2200g, and I am aware that my RAM is overkill, I just want to populate all slot, and also I'm waiting for my ryzen 7 to arrive next week.

So my questions are :

• Is this really how it works on my specific motherboard? (ROG Strix B450-E)
• Is there any workaround aside from sticking to what speed is compatible (2400 mhz) even though I paid for 3200mhz?

Please enlighten me. Thanks in advance!

I bought 2x 16gb kits of Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 3200mhz 3 days ago.
I tested each kit of 16gb and they worked flawlessly on DOCP, so after knowing that both kits work,
I populated all 4 slots and enabled DOCP in the bios then save.
When I restarted the computer, it just keeps turning on and off for like 5 times with the DRAM light being ON.
Unless the modules have a XMP/DOCP setting for 2933 or 3000, you will need to manually set the speed to 2933 or 3000, set voltage to 1.35v and set the primary timings advertised (ex: CL16-18-18-36). Leave all other timings on automatic.

The issue you have is because of Ryzen 2000 memory limitations and motherboard circuit trace layout for the ram slots. Populating all four slots will usually lower overclock potential and force you to lower speeds. The timings advertised for a memory kit, is for that specific kit. Mixing two different kits, even if they are the same model and spec, may not work and will usually require timing tweaking on at least Ryzen systems.

If you really think you need 32GB at 3200, you should return the two 2x8Gb kits and buy a single 2x16GB kit, which may have a better chance at running 3200 with the advertised specs. 4x8GB at 3200 with Ryzen 2000 can be possible, but it requires a lot of tweaking of the ram timings and may require much looser timings than the kits are spec'ed. It's easier and simpler to just lower the speed to 2933/3000, set the timings and call it a day. You are unlikely to notice any difference in performance compared to 3200 when playing games.

dansamueltutor

Commendable
Dec 24, 2018
Unless the modules have a XMP/DOCP setting for 2933 or 3000, you will need to manually set the speed to 2933 or 3000, set voltage to 1.35v and set the primary timings advertised (ex: CL16-18-18-36). Leave all other timings on automatic.

The issue you have is because of Ryzen 2000 memory limitations and motherboard circuit trace layout for the ram slots. Populating all four slots will usually lower overclock potential and force you to lower speeds. The timings advertised for a memory kit, is for that specific kit. Mixing two different kits, even if they are the same model and spec, may not work and will usually require timing tweaking on at least Ryzen systems.

If you really think you need 32GB at 3200, you should return the two 2x8Gb kits and buy a single 2x16GB kit, which may have a better chance at running 3200 with the advertised specs. 4x8GB at 3200 with Ryzen 2000 can be possible, but it requires a lot of tweaking of the ram timings and may require much looser timings than the kits are spec'ed. It's easier and simpler to just lower the speed to 2933/3000, set the timings and call it a day. You are unlikely to notice any difference in performance compared to 3200 when playing games.
I am aware that mixing kits does not guarantee that it would work and all the QVL stuff. How about the A1 and B1 slot not being able to reach more than 2400mhz? Tried it with single stick, hence mixing kit has nothing to do with it. I've also searched the web and found threads with same concern like mine. Seems like ASUS B450 boards' only primary slot A2 and B2 can get to ram's advertised speeds without problems.

I am aware that mixing kits does not guarantee that it would work and all the QVL stuff. How about the A1 and B1 slot not being able to reach more than 2400mhz? Tried it with single stick, hence mixing kit has nothing to do with it. I've also searched the web and found threads with same concern like mine. Seems like ASUS B450 boards' only primary slot A2 and B2 can get to ram's advertised speeds without problems.
If you can only get 2400 to work it means you either have the wrong voltage or the timings that are meant for lower speeds are not being changed when you set a higher speeds. Make sure your voltage is set to 1.35v and check the timings. You might need to reset all overclock settings to defaults or even reset the bios to defaults.

This is not exclusively an ASUS board issue and Intel and AMD motherboards are equally affected that use daisy-chain topography for the memory circuit traces. T topography doesn't have this issue with 4 slots or more, but you also usually cannot run the higher ram speeds possible with dasiy-chain if you use only two modules.

Oct 30, 2020
I just bought two kits of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200mhz (total of 32gb) and upon testing I am able to boot with 4 sticks running at stock speed (2133 mhz) but when I activate the XMP/DOCP in the bios to get to 3200mhz, when I boot, my system unit just keeps restarting without display up to 5 times, then will boot and and display a message saying "memory settings have been reset due to failure to boot" not sure of the words but it's something like that.

I tested the two kits separately and they both worked at advertised speeds, bot kits run fine at 3200 mhz.

My specs are

Ryzen 3 2200g
Rog strix 1070
Rog Strix B450-E
4x8gb Corsair Vengeance PRO 3200mhz
Seasonic 650w 80+
Apacer SSD 500gb
1tb WD Blue

I am also aware that my RAM is overkill, I just want to put 4 sticks in for aesthetic purposes, and also I'm waiting for my Ryzen 7 3800x to arrive. Please help me thanks.

Hi, I am not sure if this is still a live problem but somewhere in the thread you yourself wrote about A2 and B2 slots. And you are right. The problem is not the ram but the b450 chipset and 2000 series processors. XMP only works 3000+ on A2 and B2 slots.

My config up till 2 days ago was 2700X with Msi B450 Carbon Pro and 16GB Ram (2X 8gb GSKILL RIPJAW V @3200MHZ). Was working perfectly, no BSOD or anything. Coz of some weird fancy I decide going up to 32 GB and bought one new stick of 16Gb, same specs same brand. After installing it my system started giving BSOD, kernal errors and even no boots in some instances.

i tried a lot of combinations but with the three sticks could never go over 2933 ( and that too sometimes became unstable after long usage and a reboot). 2 stick A2 B2 configuration always works. 8-8, 8-16, 16-16, tested all. (16-16 coz finally bought one more stick of 16 to achieve 32 with A2 B2, has been running flawlessly @3200). Tested on Far Cry 5, Red Dead Redemption 2 . No crashes.

So my deduction, what I said above. I could be wrong but at least this is what I found and what worked for me.

Cheers!

PS: Multi stick is good only if you are using onboard graphics (which you are not). Also, anything over 16GB is a waste if you are going to go anywhere above 1K and 60 Hz. I have a dell 1440P (165Hz), the extra 16GB did nothing for me. VRAM gains precedence over System ram the moment you go over 1080P. So i have wasted money TWICE!