[SOLVED] 500$ PC upgrade

Solution
Sorry to burst a bubble but your PSU probably cant run that updated setup reliably. You dont wanna upgrade and then later your PSU fails and everything goes to hell. Plus it just doesnt meet the wattage requirements, if it were a 450W one I'd let it pass but I recommend you upgrade to a 500W one and try to go for a good brand, dont cheap out on that.

I recommend a Ryzen 3 3300X if you can find it under $130 it gives slightly better gaming performance than the i5 9400F. Go with a B450, or if you plan to upgrade in a month or two, a B550 Motherboard, this way you'll be able to upgrade to a better one later. If you're strapped for cash then look for a A320 motherboard that can run the 3300X. Check the manufacturer's website for...
Sorry to burst a bubble but your PSU probably cant run that updated setup reliably. You dont wanna upgrade and then later your PSU fails and everything goes to hell. Plus it just doesnt meet the wattage requirements, if it were a 450W one I'd let it pass but I recommend you upgrade to a 500W one and try to go for a good brand, dont cheap out on that.

I recommend a Ryzen 3 3300X if you can find it under $130 it gives slightly better gaming performance than the i5 9400F. Go with a B450, or if you plan to upgrade in a month or two, a B550 Motherboard, this way you'll be able to upgrade to a better one later. If you're strapped for cash then look for a A320 motherboard that can run the 3300X. Check the manufacturer's website for that one although I've seen most boards support it but you wanna be sure. Otherwise i5 9400F is also a good CPU you wont go wrong either way.

Your memory is on the slow side but you can always upgrade this later on, CPU/GPU/Mobo/PSU takes Prio.

The GPU is fine you'll be able to run every current game between High-Max on 1080p 60fps. Should last you a good 2 years but that depends on how you like to play games. If you love your game quality settings as high as possible then upcoming PS5 titles may not run that well on it. I expect them to run on Low-Medium 60 FPS but I cannot say for sure. PS5 GPU is RX 5700 XT with higher Clocks but games will optimized for PS5 so even if you have an RX 5700 XT on the PC-side you may not be able to get the same performance. I still think the GPU is a great option especially if you're on a budget.

Storage is fine, you can always get more if you feel like it nothing that needs urgency.

Reactions: stepa
Solution
Jun 17, 2020

I recommend a Ryzen 3 3300X if you can find it under $130 it gives slightly better gaming performance than the i5 9400F. Go with a B450, or if you plan to upgrade in a month or two, a B550 Motherboard, this way you'll be able to upgrade to a better one later. If you're strapped for cash then look for a A320 motherboard that can run the 3300X. Check the manufacturer's website for that one although I've seen most boards support it but you wanna be sure. Otherwise i5 9400F is also a good CPU you wont go wrong either way.

Your memory is on the slow side but you can always upgrade this later on, CPU/GPU/Mobo/PSU takes Prio.

The GPU is fine you'll be able to run every current game between High-Max on 1080p 60fps. Should last you a good 2 years but that depends on how you like to play games. If you love your game quality settings as high as possible then upcoming PS5 titles may not run that well on it. I expect them to run on Low-Medium 60 FPS but I cannot say for sure. PS5 GPU is RX 5700 XT with higher Clocks but games will optimized for PS5 so even if you have an RX 5700 XT on the PC-side you may not be able to get the same performance. I still think the GPU is a great option especially if you're on a budget.

Storage is fine, you can always get more if you feel like it nothing that needs urgency.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll add 50-60$ to the budget for the PSU. I knew that the 3300x had comparable performances, but since ryzen requires faster RAM to be used at it's maximum, and I want this to be a one time upgrade that is good for the next 2 years I went for the 9400F. I really don't mind playing on lower settings or even lower framerates like 40 fps, I just want to have a playable and ok-looking gaming experience without needing to upgrade in the next 2 years. Thank you for your response!

Thanks for the feedback, I'll add 50-60$ to the budget for the PSU. I knew that the 3300x had comparable performances, but since ryzen requires faster RAM to be used at it's maximum, and I want this to be a one time upgrade that is good for the next 2 years I went for the 9400F. I really don't mind playing on lower settings or even lower framerates like 40 fps, I just want to have a playable and ok-looking gaming experience without needing to upgrade in the next 2 years. Thank you for your response!
Intel also likes faster ram almost as much as amd so there's not much of a win on either side. Also yeah, 1660S is better value but Ti is better for you since you want to make sure it stays up to date for atleast 2 years

Last edited:
Your current psu has the requisite 6+2 connector to run a GTX1660ti.
So that might work.
CM power supplies are iffy. Yours is tier 7 on this list:
I would change it out if possible.

On the processor, you can do better with a current gen i3-10100:
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i3-10100-core-i3-10th-gen/p/N82E16819118138
It costs less with more threads and a higher clock.
Here is a review:

A 400 series MATX motherboard starts at $60,.
Here is a B460 based gigabyte motherboard for $80:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145206

Somewhere, that 120gb ssd for windows is going to fill up.
Start planning on a m.2 pcie replacement.

gutsygoat

Reputable
May 30, 2017
As mentioned, the PSU is a bit risky. You might want to consider the Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 400w or even 500w variant, depending on the upgrades you will eventually make. Also, as you have to upgrade your motherboard anyway, might aswell go with a 10400f and get a b460/h410/h470 motherboard. The 10400f is more than a 'slight' improvent, because it has hyperthreading, effectively doubling its thread count (6 instead of 12). There currently are many 1200 socket microATX motherboards out there.

Last edited:
Intel also likes faster ram almost as much as amd so there's not much of a win on either side. Also yeah, 1660S is better value but Ti is better for you since you want to make sure it stays up to date for atleast 2 years

The TI is not better for him. It's the exact same performance with like 1-2 fps difference. Both card are the same and will be good for 2 years.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkcZJpL_7AQ

Ryzen processors are tightly tied to the ram they use.
Both for compatibility and performance.
Intel, not so much. The intel ram controller is very good at anticipating ram use so ram speed is not as important.
Here is a study comparing 2133 DDR4 ram to 3000 speed.
Excepting the use of integrated graphics, there is negligible difference in real app performance or FPS.