51% Would Rather Have Laptop Instead of an iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]builderbobftw[/nom]So 49% of people are insane.Got it.[/citation]

Just about to say this myself lol. Anyways, as a giant ipod touch it lacks the portability of the ipod, but still is limited in ability by the iphone OS. Also, i'm still not a big fan of touch screen typing.

Hmmm lets see unable to replace the battery check, unable to use removable storage check, unable to use external mouse or keyboard when at the home or the office check,solely aimed at fan boys and girls check. All the makings of a fad product.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I can only see the ipad making sense for people who own or have access to like a family desktop, and don't own a smart phone. and even then, in many cases a netbook would be better, or even then, any other competing tablet would be better...

it sickens me that people would just throw money at apple despite all this just because of the advertising.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I'd like to know where this survey was taken, because those are some very high percentages.

61% of over 55s knowing about an unreleased apple product?
Seems a bit like this was taken somewhere where people are tech-aware.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Lets ask people that already own a perfectly good and current laptop to chose between a free laptop or ipad and i bet you the results will be near to those mentioned.

Since we dont know what the questions where and we dont know under what pretense the questions where asked the numbers mean jack shit.

woah!!! no need to be flying off the handle there apple fanboy

mrmez

Splendid
Far out!
Half the people surveyed would rather have an iPad, even though it has not even entered the market yet.

Love it or hate it, you gotta hand it to Apple. The King of Spin.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]woah!!! no need to be flying off the handle there apple fanboy[/citation]
This person doesn't seem like an apple fanboy to me. In fact just the opposite. Hemelskonijn seems to be saying the the survey may have been skewed in the iPad's favor because a lot of people already own laptops and therefore it is not a fair question. The article results seem very questionable to me too. The lack of detail in the exact survey questions and methodology leaves me unconvinced. I would bet my paycheck that even among apple lovers, they would rather have a nice shiny new Macbook over an iPad, but this survey seems to contradict this. Something just ain't right.

geez man do you take everything seriouly

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]geez man do you take everything seriouly[/citation]

Whoa dude. This is the Internet. This is serious business.

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
A couple of points:

It's disturbing how many cannot see the potential of the iPad as an e-reader to kill all e-readers. I'm a musician and a technology consultant, storing resource kits, song books, and the like is going to be extremely useful.

Anything more than that is just a bonus here...and it's a last resort remote desktop/VNC device when I'm in a bind. I can browse the Internet without having to boot up a machine. Can my phone do all of this? Yes. Not quite as useable though. This isn't a giant smartphone, that's what you see at first glance. Anything I need a sheet of paper or book for is pretty much made obsolete by any device the size of the iPad.

Tablet PC/Slate? I already have a laptop, the simplicity and LACK of configurability and multiple hardware platforms actually are more enticing to me than the opposite. My laptop is a company/government owned machine that I do not use for entertainment...why would I want to lug around a second laptop or for that matter, buy one?

I'm no Apple fanboy, the only Apple product I've ever owned is an iPhone - yes, I even refused to purchase an iPod for years...and I'm not "excited" about the iPad, it's just a must-buy item for me, a tool that I plan to use. I'm sure there are many others out there like me, the people buying this thing aren't just giving in to marketing or spin from Apple.

If you consider the iPhone a fad, unusable, or a product of marketing, then there's no hope for you. Continue to be the vocal minority on the Internet who prays that every next gen phone will be an iPhone killer. Good luck with that.

vcbb10

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
[citation][nom]builderbobftw[/nom]So 49% of people are insane.Got it.[/citation]

Ya, seems a little low considering the fact that we elected Obama.

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]vcbb10[/nom]Ya, seems a little low considering the fact that we elected Obama.[/citation]

And put Palin into office as VP? Let alone McCain as president, that would be true insanity.

it has its good points but apple is marketing as the be all end all tablet computer yet it is limited in many ways

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

Very true - it's limited in many ways that I don't intend to use...on the other hand, it has form factor advantages that laptops can't cater to. Tablet PC's are a waste of functionality to me, booting up an OS is also a waste of time there. The iPad isn't a productivity device, it's a media device. The limited OS is also more efficient than what you get from a Tablet PC...and replacing a battery in the device is $99. How much is that for a laptop/tablet? The same or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.