[SOLVED] 5600X reaching very high temperatures when I boot the PC

AfeRena

Honorable
Aug 22, 2016
Hello there, everyone!
First of all, hope you're all having a good christmas!

I bought a Ryzen 5 5600X to upgrade my pc. I also got the Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240mm ML240L V2 RGB to cool it. Everything is working perfectly. Playing games doesn't make the CPU go higher than 51ºC. But when I boot the PC, I can already hear the fans spinning like crazy, and by opening the Core Temp software, I see the temps are reaching 96ºC! And the CPU is not even on full load. If I restard the system, it seems to work and the CPU cools down. Now is sitting at 40ºC with some background activity.

What could be causing this? Could this shorten my CPU's life a lot? I'm considering starting to just suspend my PC when I'm not using it instead of shutting it down.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Sem-t-tulo.png

Solution
Hello there, everyone!

I bought a Ryzen 5 5600X to upgrade my pc. I also got the Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240mm ML240L V2 RGB to cool it. Everything is working perfectly. Playing games doesn't make the CPU go higher than 51ºC. But when I boot the PC, I can already hear the fans spinning like crazy, and by opening the Core Temp software, I see the temps are reaching 96ºC! And the CPU is not even on full load. If I restard the system, it seems to work and the CPU cools down. Now is sitting at 40ºC with some background activity.

What could be causing this? Could this shorten my CPU's life a lot? I'm considering starting to just suspend my PC when I'm not using it instead of...
Dec 29, 2021
Do you still have the stock cooler? Install it and see how the temps do. If the problem goes away, its hardware and your AIO is borked. If it stays, then its software and that's a long rabbit hole.

Hello there, everyone!

What could be causing this? Could this shorten my CPU's life a lot? I'm considering starting to just suspend my PC when I'm not using it instead of shutting it down.

Sem-t-tulo.png
Set pump for full RPM at all times.

Solution
Hello there, everyone!

Sem-t-tulo.png
Get rid of coretemp and get HWInfo64 instead.

90+ temps seems a bit high to me too but it's just a spike. A spike like that might occurr during startup as it's working pretty hard loading OS assets, checking for updates and everything else it does, but you need to see a temperature chart like you can get with HWInfo to see how temperature behaves over time.

Ryzen's a very active processor with frequent boosts and temp spikes with each boost. Those spikes can make fans pulse if you don't set up a custom fan curve to ignore them in addition to always running the AIO pump at 100%.

Also be sure to load the AMD Chipset driver and get it from the AMD website.

AfeRena

Honorable
Aug 22, 2016
Thank you all for your comments and help! Turns out I didn't know that the pump needed to be on at all times, so it was taking a long time for it to turn on, hence, heating the CPU.

Thank you all and take care!!!

Reactions: CountMike

TRENDING THREADS