[SOLVED] 5700 xt vram temps while mining eth

pyfreak7401

Prominent
Apr 6, 2020
Hello. I decided to start using my GPU for mining usually overnight when i'm not using my pc. I have a gigabyte 5700 xt 8gb and my radeon profile for mining is:
core/voltage auto(since eth mainly uses memory the card overall is very cool at 45-50 C.
  • Memory @1850
  • Fans 80%(3500rpm)
  • Power limit -40%(Around 110 Watts when mining)
Now i'm mining ETH and it mainly uses the VRAM so my mem temps are around 84C with very rare spikes at 86C. I've set the fans to be constantly working at 80% since they only ramp up if the junction temp starts rising not the memory temp.
I know that Navi gpus have a high temp tolerance so my question is can i leave it mining overnight without supervision? Are these mem temps acceptable for 8-9 hours of constant mining? Thanks a lot in advance!

Solution
I'm not quite sure about the throttling for the memory junction actually, but I am aware of these cards suffering from overly hot memory temperatures, although higher than yours, if you're planning on mining it could be worth a look.

Some cards suffer from thermal mating issues with the pads on the VRAM causing higher temperatures. Although cards with this issues have mem temps upwards of 95-100c. It might be worth checking for peace of mind.

Its shown here in this video:

View: https://youtu.be/8ATNy2ISPn4

Overall though I think you should be fine to mine, id say leave some sort of software open for the first few nights to check the max temps your memory was getting up to, and if its a reasonable...

Tobaaymalonaay

Honorable
Jun 30, 2015
I'd say those memory temperatures look all good to me. I believe the 5700XT will thermal throttle and lower frequency at about 110c on the hotspot.
Its never really recommended to leave it on all night unsupervised at high stress levels, but I'd say it'll more than likely be alright with those temps, that card does run reasonably hot anyway.

pyfreak7401

Prominent
Apr 6, 2020
I'd say those memory temperatures look all good to me. I believe the 5700XT will thermal throttle and lower frequency at about 110c on the hotspot.
Its never really recommended to leave it on all night unsupervised at high stress levels, but I'd say it'll more than likely be alright with those temps, that card does run reasonably hot anyway.
Thanks for replying so fast cause this is supposed to be my first night:tearsofjoy:. You see, i know about the 110c thermal throttle but doesn't that apply to the GPU hotspot temp only? I mean my hotspot is very low since the core isn't utilized that much at all. Gpu surface temp is 45C and hotspot is 53 so far and it's not going any higher. Does the thermal throttle apply to the memory junction as well?

Tobaaymalonaay

Honorable
Jun 30, 2015
I'm not quite sure about the throttling for the memory junction actually, but I am aware of these cards suffering from overly hot memory temperatures, although higher than yours, if you're planning on mining it could be worth a look.

Some cards suffer from thermal mating issues with the pads on the VRAM causing higher temperatures. Although cards with this issues have mem temps upwards of 95-100c. It might be worth checking for peace of mind.

Its shown here in this video:

View: https://youtu.be/8ATNy2ISPn4

Overall though I think you should be fine to mine, id say leave some sort of software open for the first few nights to check the max temps your memory was getting up to, and if its a reasonable temperature, you're all good!

Solution
Feb 12, 2021
I were asking myself the same question about vrm temperature on my 5700 xt aorus, but it's fine. You can even see on Hardware Unboxed YT channel a review of this model and, while playing F1, vram were at 88ºC.

And maybe you don't need to put the fans on 80%, mine is fixed on 67% and getting the same results as you did. If I change the fan speed to 80% the vram temps were almot the same.

Good lucky!